What are you reading now?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I can't really fathom (or maybe I can) the extreme popularity of Stephen King amongst people on this message board. I like some of his older stuff, like The Stand, Misery and It, but he just got way too commercialized. Too many references to Pepsi or Levis for me.

Too commercialized?

:confused:

This kind of attitude toward King's writings makes me want to hop into my Ford F-150 and drive to Cali, stopping only to fill up with some Techron gas at the Chiriaco Summit Chevron and to grab a Whopper from the Burger King in Baldwin Park, then go to your place, knock on your door, and bash you over the head with a Louisville Slugger which I purchased at Target.

:cool:

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel. It uses facts to show how the universe could only come about by God creating it.

Bought it the day it came out and finished it in about 2 days.

How far into it are you? Have you read any of his other books? I've read all of them except for Case for Christ.

Shawn

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
mdamien13 said:
I'm still reading "Jack the Ripper: Case Closed". It's really good but damn if I don't get lost in the technobabble quite a bit.

I went on a walking tour of Jack the Ripper sites in London, led by a guy who wrote a book on the subject. Great time - bought his book at the end of the tour. Its a pretty good read. Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow

I just read "Bringing Down the House" which is about how a bunch of MIT students counted cards playing Blackjack in Vegas and won millions. Very fast read - entertaining too.

I am now reading "Fields of Fury" by James Webb - former Sec. of the Navy and a Vietnam veteran. Supposed to show Vietnam in the light of how it really was in the bush. Its kind of too much in a way to take.

Also pick up on occasion and read a chapter through:

Bush at War - Bob Woodward (almost finished)
When I Was a Kid, This Was a Free Country - G. Gordon Liddy (only a couple chapters in)

DRVNFAST

Homey don't play that!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer This is a good read about mormon fundamentalism and polygamy in several of the border towns of Utah/Arizona.

Also I just finished "The Divinci Code" by Dan Brown. Holy crap was that a good book. If you havn't read it do yourself a favor and read it.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
You sure are right on that account. I am 3/4 the way through The Da Vinci Code and it is one of the best books I have ever read. It is a mystery thriller that knocks a lot of what we are taught (indoctinated) about Christ and the Bible to be false. As a matter of fact I took a breather to hit my e-mails and a few boards I am on and will continue reading it until I finish later today. This is a must read and I have heard others talk about this book and how terrific it is.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
minercon said:
The Da Vinci Code and it is one of the best books I have ever read.
The DiVinci Code is a so-so knock-off of Unberto Eco's Focault's Pendelum. That book kicks arse.

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
How far into it are you? Have you read any of his other books? I've read all of them except for Case for Christ.

Just recently finished it. Like you, I haven't read The Case for Christ. I want to, though. The Case for Faith was quite good. It really hit me when that quote from Madilyn Murry O'Hair's diary popped up.

I just started The Odyssey by Homer (translated by E. V. Rieu). Pretty good, so far. Hopefully it will get better.

The entire Wheel of Time series is good. However, be warned: some may not have the diligence to read through the entire series.

A Song of Ice and Fire series is good, but I can't really be the judge, since I've only read a bit of the first book.

Other good fantasy series: The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks; and The Crimson Shadow Trilogy, The Cleric Qunitet, and the Drizzt series, all by R. A. Salvatore. Harry Potter is good, and so is the Prydain Chronicles (by Lloyd Alexander) and The Dark is Rising sequence (by Susan Cooper).

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The What are you reading now? thread

I'm going to get some Chili

That means you will have plenty of time to read when you take the kids to the pool shortly after your meal.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The DiVinci Code is a so-so knock-off of Unberto Eco's Focault's Pendelum. That book kicks arse.
I've got Umberto Eco's Travels in Hyperreality, but I haven't read the entire thing yet.
I read a whole bunch of Michael Foucault in school.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just picked up the complete set of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. Can't wait until school's out next month to really dig into it.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently working my way through a huge tome of W. H. Auden's poetry - incredible writings.

Shawn

BigMac1212

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
About halfway through Left Behind: The Remnant. Wanting to get it finished before Left Behind: Armageddon, which comes out Tuesday.

I'm already on The Mark. These books go by so fast. Brian, the last book, Glorious Appearing, is out now. I've read bits and pieces of it. It shoud be a great book.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
Currently working my way through a huge tome of W. H. Auden's poetry - incredible writings.

Shawn

Still working my way through this as well as "Applications in Criminal Analysis: A Sourcebook" by Marilyn B. Peterson.

Shawn

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigMac1212 said:
I'm already on The Mark. These books go by so fast. Brian, the last book, Glorious Appearing, is out now. I've read bits and pieces of it. It shoud be a great book.

Got the Glorious Appearing for my wife, I'll read that when she's finished.

I'm currently reading Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter, then likely the most recent John Sandford book (the Prey series), and some Ted Dekker books (Blink, Three, etc). Dekker's got a new trilogy coming out this year...getting all three for my wife's b-day and I'll read them after she does. :thumbup:

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DRVNFAST said:
Also I just finished "The Divinci Code" by Dan Brown. Holy crap was that a good book. If you havn't read it do yourself a favor and read it.

Has anyone read either of Brown's first two novels, Deception Point or Digital Fortress?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (sp?). Loved it. Read it in one night and paid for it the next day. Boy was I tired.

Now I'm reading "The Forth Hand" by John Irving and "American Psycho" by Bret Easton. I haven't gotten far enough into either of them to make an assesment, yet, but Irving is always a smooth read. American Psycho seems just okay so far.

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
Well, I finished the Farseer trilogy. Yes, Shawn, you were right; I did somewhat regret reading it (contains a loose attitude towards premarital sex, unfortunately). :(

Now I'm on A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. No regrets reading this one. ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
Now I'm on A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. No regrets reading this one. ;)

Awesome book.

I'm actually reading Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets--very easy read and the movie was actually very faithful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson