What are you reading now?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have started "Flags of Our Fathers" which is a book about the 6 men who raised the flag on Suribachi. It is written by the son of one of the flag raisers...the only man who lived a long life of the six. Good read so far. This was a truly bloody brutal battle in WW II.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just finished North and South by John Jakes.

Just started Bag of Bones by Stephen King.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright Chap - I'm a quater of the way through Eye of the World so far. It's pretty good. I think the only part of the book that I dislike was the opening paragraph. Other than that, it's been excellent.

Thanks, now I'll probably be buying the second one this weekend because I'm sure I'll be done with this one by then.

I know that there are currently 10 books in this series. Is the 10th book the final one or is he still writing more on this story?

Shawn

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
Alright Chap - I'm a quater of the way through Eye of the World so far. It's pretty good. I think the only part of the book that I dislike was the opening paragraph. Other than that, it's been excellent.

Thanks, now I'll probably be buying the second one this weekend because I'm sure I'll be done with this one by then.

I know that there are currently 10 books in this series. Is the 10th book the final one or is he still writing more on this story?

Shawn

Still more-probably at least 2 more books, according to the author, but from what is happening by the 10th book, it seems like it's a lot more than 2 books that are left... :D

Oh, and that first paragraph is pretty much repeated at the beginning of every chapter 1 in every book.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
Chaplin - I bought Robert Jordan's Eye of the World last night and have started it. Geez, the first book is over 700 pages long - lol. And there are ten of these in the series? Holy cow.

Shawn

There's a hardcover Jordan book at Target on clearance for $3.99. It's called Path of Daggers...

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently reading "Strangers" by Dean Koontz...pretty good so far, almost to the end.

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While waiting for the next Left Behind book, I'm reading one fiction book and one non-fiction book.

Fiction: Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter. I've read just about everything by Hunter. This is all about Bob Lee Swagger's father, Earl, just back from the war and taking on gangsters in Arkansas. I have the next book, also about Earl Swagger, called Pale Horse Coming, which I'm likely going to read next.

Non-fiction: The Wounded Spirit by Frank Peretti. Great Christian fiction author, writing about his own dificult childhood - having to deal with bullies and teasing because of a physical condition. He takes his own life experiences and relates it to Columbine and other violent acts of our time.

My wife just started to read Three by Ted Dekker (Christian author).

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I just started reading an independent horror novel called "Killer Asylum". It concerns a female FBI profiler Alison Moire, who after a long and grueling hunt that almost leaves her dead, apprehends the most prolific serial killer in modern history, Soren Cabal.

Unfortunately this is at about the same time that the government approves a study of serial killers to determine if there's a way of stopping the alarming rise of serial murders in the world. The ten most notorious serial killers in prisons across America are gathered in one asylum for study.

Naturally, Soren Cabal leads an uprising in which the serial killers gain control of the facility. He holds the staff hostage and demands the delivery of Alison (who has quit the agency after the permanent emotional damage caused by profiling) into the asylum.

It's a very cool little read. Part "Red Dragon", part "Die Hard", part "Naked Lunch" - a welcome breath of fresh air into the serial killer genre.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
I just started reading an independent horror novel called "Killer Asylum". It concerns a female FBI profiler Alison Moire, who after a long and grueling hunt that almost leaves her dead, apprehends the most prolific serial killer in modern history, Soren Cabal.

Unfortunately this is at about the same time that the government approves a study of serial killers to determine if there's a way of stopping the alarming rise of serial murders in the world. The ten most notorious serial killers in prisons across America are gathered in one asylum for study.

Naturally, Soren Cabal leads an uprising in which the serial killers gain control of the facility. He holds the staff hostage and demands the delivery of Alison (who has quit the agency after the permanent emotional damage caused by profiling) into the asylum.

It's a very cool little read. Part "Red Dragon", part "Die Hard", part "Naked Lunch" - a welcome breath of fresh air into the serial killer genre.

That sounds like a very interesting read.

I've just finished Disappointment With God by Philip Yancy. I'm now reading What's So Amazing About Grace by Yancy and The Basic Works of Aristotle.

Shawn

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The Rain Maker
by: John Grisham

I saw the movie, and my dad said it is a really good book.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished the first Harry Potter, and I had the second book with me, so I started it about 5 minutes after ending with the first :)

Loved it, can't wait to finish 2 and then get on to the books which haven't been ruined by movies for me :)

Mike

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13

Just finished this one. Wanted to recommend it to anyone looking for a book. Because it was independent, my copy was poorly edited but the book's website

www.killerasylum.com

is selling a mass-market paperback that has been edited and includes case studies of the individual killers. Recommended!

Now I'm on to Hell House by Richard Matheson. Amazing that it's such a spooky read for being written in 1970. Plot follows a team of parapsychologists hired by an aging billionaire to study a haunted house and prove to him that there is life after death. Needless to say, hilarity doesn't ensue. Only about halfway done but it's very creepy and intriguing. Let you know how it turns out.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just started a nice light book:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer

Barely into it but some really interesting stuff so far. Always wanted to read the book.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some of the "regulars" of this forum are into books and I know it seems I've put strict emphasis on muisc lately, but didn't want to overlook the 2 other areas of interests.....So...I decided to revive those old thread...

What books/novels have you been reading recently?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am into "The Teammates:A Portrait of a Friendship" about the decades long friendship between ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Dominic DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky of old Red Sox fame. Very cool book so far.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just started a really interesting book on the theory and practice of editing film and video. And just finished a book on beating writer's block.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I'm on Wizard and the Glass by Stephen King. I had never read any of the Dark Tower books so I started with The Gunslinger and I've been reading them all straight through. I had told myself that I would take a break after The Wastelands but anyone who's read it knows that there's no way to take a break after that one.

I'm really into the Dark Tower series now. I can't believe I never read them before and I'm kind of glad that I get to read them back to back to back (parts 6 & 7 come out this summer) instead of waiting years between.

Next up I have The Rising by Brian Keene, a horror novel about a father trying to get across the country to be with his son after a zombie apocalypse.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I'm reading Food Politics by Marion Nestle. It's for school and is definately a joy :shrug: Also about to finish Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently reading "Between Two Worlds" by John R. W. Stott - it has to do with preaching and scriptures relevance in today's modern world.

Shawn

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May the Best Team Win: Baseball Economics and Public Policy by Andrew Zimbalist

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson