What are you reading now?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nice. I'm 43 now and my wife's grandfather was on the USS Sheridan and remembers most of the pacific fleet engagements. He's like a walking History channel episode. He was the driver that took the troops to shore during the first stages of the battle and it's striking to listen to him talk about the coral reef at Tarawa or the total insanity he witnessed at Pelelieu.

He's 97 now and I take every moment I can get to talk to him. I actually got a hold of the mayor of his town last year when he turned 97 and got a proclamation naming Sept 27th as Sam Graveno Day. It was priceless for my wife's family to see that.

With all of that being said...... I tend to devour WW2 content, and anything that occurred in the pacific.

Also..... Have you seen these? I may buy one. https://battlearchives.com/collections
That's a cool website.

Jeez, what a great story. You're lucky to know someone that was there. My grandpa was an airplane mechanic in WW2 and Korea, but he never talked about it. The only time we ever spoke about his time there is when I was doing a research paper for school. Then he was like a completely different person.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm reading The Fifth to Die by J.D. Barker currently. Not my favorite genre to read, but Barker's a solid writer and a cool dude. He used to live in Pittsburgh and attend/present at one of my writing groups.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first book I have not finished in 50+ years. Turrible.

HellMaryCards

Free Agent
Reaction score
I need to read Dune. Because the movie is coming out soon. And I don't want to be spoiled. But the thing is thicker than my open palm

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to read Dune. Because the movie is coming out soon. And I don't want to be spoiled. But the thing is thicker than my open palm
Like a long journey, you take it one page at a time. Roger Zelazny was my favorite author as I hit my teen years and when I found out that a sci-fi book of the year award was shared between Roger's This Immortal and Frank's Dune I knew I had to give it a try.

I wouldn't recommend the entire Dune saga but the first book would easily make my packing list when being stranded on a deserted island. Such a great story. Today, I'm so used to reading cheap popcorn e-novels that I have no idea if I could get through it again. It's been probably 30 years since the last time I read it, guess it's time to buy it digitally and find out.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Epic

Attachments

• 16D8FA0D-F05A-46CC-9B9A-B298F8029241.jpeg
    16D8FA0D-F05A-46CC-9B9A-B298F8029241.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 3