What Are The Duties of a NFL Head Coach?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I’m confused… I was under the impression - falsely I guess, that the Head Coach is the “Head” of the TEAM? Like, he leads the entire team, no?
The Head Coach manages all aspects and oversees all operations of the team… no?

Additionally, the head coach is the ultimate leader of the team. Sets the tone, the vision, the mission, the strategy.

Kliffy has me all bamboozled… All I see is an overmatched Offensive Coordinator. What are the metrics he’s being measured against? What evidence is there that he serves as a Head Coach, other than the fact Mikey and Keim gave him an extension with the title of Head Coach attached to it?
I mean, is Kliffy the new-age Head Coach, where you get the title and the $$, but you are actually held to some other set of metrics and expectations??

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I’m confused… I was under the impression - falsely I guess, that the Head Coach is the “Head” of the TEAM? Like, he leads the entire team, no?
The Head Coach manages all aspects and oversees all operations of the team… no?

Additionally, the head coach is the ultimate leader of the team. Sets the tone, the vision, the mission, the strategy.

Kliffy has me all bamboozled… All I see is an overmatched Offensive Coordinator. What are the metrics he’s being measured against? What evidence is there that he serves as a Head Coach, other than the fact Mikey and Keim gave him an extension with the title of Head Coach attached to it?
I mean, is Kliffy the new-age Head Coach, where you get the title and the $$, but you are actually held to some other set of metrics and expectations??
Kliff should have NEVER been hired as a head coach in the NFL, especially without an OC. He was doomed from the start. Again, no way should he have been hired as a head coach. He is responsible for all the coaches, both sides of the ball, calling the plays and performing all the PR duties as a head coach. He was completely over his head. Even Andy Reid (I know he calls the plays) has an OC. Andy has been a coach in the NFL forever. Kliff has zero experience in the NFL.

He took over the worst Cardinals team I have ever seen and improved their record for 3 consecutive years, notwithstanding second-half losses.

But a five-year extension? That was crazy talk. No one was going after him. They saw the second half collapses too. The time management has been poor. He needed help there too. He was not equipped to do it all.

Although it is not all his fault, it goes with the territory when you are the head coach.

You don't keep your job when your team performs like they did today and most of this year.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad thing is he will absolutely get a 2nd head coaching gig after he burns this thing to the ground.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards 2 camps solution is not uncommon in the NFL to some extent. Usually the HC at least holds the DC & Special Teams accountable. I’m not certain that happens in AZ, though I have few complaints about Joseph.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Win and keep the players’ respect while maintaining discipline. I was listening to Chris and Kyle Long’s podcast and they talked about how coaches are treated. It is unheard of to get yelled at by players repeatedly in public like Kliff has without losing the locker room

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
KK's only problem is that he needs to get closer to the players. Take more of a personal interest like taking turns showering with each at his home on their off days. Take the time to show he truly cares about their cleanliness, mindfulness, and such.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose