What 2 Watch 4: ARI @ BAL

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by kerouac9, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:06 PM.

1. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

After a 3-13 season, a tie kinda feels like a win, I guess? Here are 5 things I'm going to be looking at in the first big road test for Kliff Kingsbury and Kyler Murray:

1. Fast, Not Furious – There's been a pretty steady drumbeat through the preseason that Kyler Murray takes a while to get up to speed. What I thought through three-and-a-half quarters of last week's game was that Murray's play reminded me of a high-test Jake Plummer: dig a hole and then furiously fight your way out of it. Often, college games start slow until both teams find their stride. Kingsbury and Kyler might not have that luxury on the road and at the next level.

2. Let's Get Physical – The Baltimore offense is built from the inside out — the opposite of what Keim has built in Arizona. The Ravens played most of their snaps in 21 or 12 personnel last week. The Ravens will test how physical the Cards are willing and able to be between the hash marks.

3. Mental Game – John Harbaugh is at the top of the second tier NFL coaches. He can be surprised and outcoached, but not by many. He almost definitely will not be outworked or out-prepared. Kingsbury and defensive coordinator Vance Joseph are going to be pushed to the limit this week. Joseph's 2018 Broncos D gave up 28 points in Baltimore to Joe Flacco.

4. High and Tight – Kyler Murray did not use his legs very efficiently last week, with 3 rushes for 13 yards and a lot of dives when much larger men were approaching. If Murray decides to leverage his athleticism more, he's going to have to remember not to hold the ball like a loaf of bread. He's already fumbled once in just a few attempts during the preseason.

5. Truly Special Teams – Special teams made the difference against the Lions. Not only the kicking game, but coverage units that pinned Detroit deep and also recovered turnovers. Harbaugh is a former special teams coordinator, and this unit needs to do more than not make mistakes for the Cards to have a chance. They need to make game-changing plays.

Prediction: Cardinals 20 | Nevermores 34

Here's a little taste of the hottest Baltimore fans:

[​IMG]

2. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

Wait, I can't see the picture

3. Vacard

Vacard Registered

I think Harbaugh, like Gruden, will want to make this a statement game and make an example out of Kingsbury. He will bring the house and often until KM proves he can beat the blitz. He will test Kingsbury to prove he doesn't belong in the NFL. Like hey, you couldn't cut it in the Big 12, what makes you think you can compete with the Big Boys?? Do you know how humiliating it'll be to lose to KK after winning the superbowl in your own house. He's determined to let not that happen. Prepare for them to run up the score unless we stop them. I think we have the personnel to contain Lamar (like Russ) and the stradegy is to not beat us with his legs. But it wont be enough. 40-17 Ravens.

4. schutd

schutd Regular User

Ive been to Baltimore. You are correct, sir. Photo needed.

Krangthebrain and kerouac9 like this.
  5. Brak

Brak Registered

Someone on the board wrote last week that because K1 was clearly NOT looking to run early, that allowed Detroit to focus on containing him in the pocket, and it effectively negated one of the reasons for wanting the guy in the first place - his ability to break off a huge run at any moment. The threat has got to at least be there to keep defenses honest. Hoping to see him run a bit more this week, I think it will benefit the entire offense.

I was greatly encouraged by Fitz's performance in Week 1, and the Cards clearly have a far more talented WR room this year than in the recent past. The OL didn't stink and implode either. So I'm pretty optimistic that the 4th quarter offense we saw last week still has a lot of room to improve, and fairly quickly.

Special teams look truly special, FINALLY.. and the D wasn't as awful as feared. Overall, forget about the anemic offense for 3 quarters, and there was a lot to like last week.

Baltimore is laying 13 points, that's too many IMHO. Look for Cards to keep it close, or perhaps even steal a trap game victory on Sunday. BRING IT!!

Cardsfaninlouky and daves like this.
  6. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

You make Harbaugh sound really insecure. I suspect he is going to do what ever he thinks gives his team the best chance of winning, but I doubt his motivation is to simply make sure he doesn't get embarrassed by letting the Cards have a good day.

7. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Vacard's best line: Prepare for them to run up the score unless we stop them. :)

CardNots, Vacard and AzStevenCal like this.
  8. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

I am having a hard time figuring out how good the Ravens are and what to expect from the Cardinals.

Our defense played much better than expected but will have a true test on the road vs the Ravens. Can Joseph adjust to this explosive offense?

Can our offense start strong and stay competitive all game? Detroit wins the game easily if they don't call the timeout. Our ST, turned the game around but you can't expect too much of that on the regular. Lost in the comeback tie was the lack of red zone execution (TD's). How will that improve?

The 4th QTR/OT Cardinals met my expectations for excitement but its hard to imagine they will be able to stay competitive with the Ravens/on the road.

If they do, we have a lot to look forward to this year.

daves, CardNots and slanidrac16 like this.
  9. Cardsmasochist

Cardsmasochist Registered

This is so refreshing to see Special Teams be a strength for the Cardinals this year (and last) after years of suckiness under the Arians/A. Jones regime. It gives me hope that some day the Cards really will figure out how to build an offensive line that can stay healthy and dominate for 16+ games a year. The Patriots have been doing it for years for a lot less $ and high draft picks than Keim has spent trying to fix it.

10. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

i expect lots of pressure packages on Murray, from all angles

it gets to the heart of the question about KKs offense: if you run lots of 10 personnel -- can you protect your QB?

the Lions stopped bringing pressure ( to avoid giving up a big play??) and paid the price

11. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

One thing I will will be looking at is tipped balls near the line when Murray is trying to pass.

I hope all the tipped balls against the Lions was an aberration.

12. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Look for Baltimore, Arizona or other aggressive offenses to make the "fear factor" (i.e. using the home-run threat as a decoy) as a way to intimidate opposing defenses and keep them honest.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  13. dscher

dscher Registered

I can't tell if you're joking or not... but either way. :lmao:

BullheadCardFan likes this.
  14. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

One of the reasons BMore was in 12 or 21 personnel so much was because the Dolphins played 9 in the box so often.

The problem with this game is that we dont know what to expect from Baltimore.

Flores was so thoroughly outcoached that it was comically bad.

15. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

You have it backwards. The offensive personnel obviously comes first.

daves likes this.