What’s Missing

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So watching tournament and seeing UVA and TT as the last 2 teams standing. Even though UVA was in Top 10 all year they aren’t a blue blood and TT came out of nowhere this season. Auburn also had a magical season with MSU being only big time CBB program in FF. With all that said, looking at UVA and TT rosters, there aren’t any 5 star guys that were one and done, Hunter for UVA May have been a blue chip recruit but definitely not a one and done talent. MSU has some heavily recruited guys like Ward, Henry, Tillman, Langford & Winston but none of them are FR and are one and done talent guys. So what was key for these teams? 1. Great Coaching 2. Defensive, team oriented play.

These 2 factors are in my honest opinion what UA has lacked the last couple of years. Either Miller needs to up his coaching game with the elite recruits he’s landing or he needs to go Izzy route and land 4 star three year players he can develop. Tournament results show solid teams that advance far are teams with experience, discipline and clutch shooting. UA needs Miller to get them there or go hard after coaches like Tony Bennett who can coach the talent they get.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
So watching tournament and seeing UVA and TT as the last 2 teams standing. Even though UVA was in Top 10 all year they aren’t a blue blood and TT came out of nowhere this season. Auburn also had a magical season with MSU being only big time CBB program in FF. With all that said, looking at UVA and TT rosters, there aren’t any 5 star guys that were one and done, Hunter for UVA May have been a blue chip recruit but definitely not a one and done talent. MSU has some heavily recruited guys like Ward, Henry, Tillman, Langford & Winston but none of them are FR and are one and done talent guys. So what was key for these teams? 1. Great Coaching 2. Defensive, team oriented play.

These 2 factors are in my honest opinion what UA has lacked the last couple of years. Either Miller needs to up his coaching game with the elite recruits he’s landing or he needs to go Izzy route and land 4 star three year players he can develop. Tournament results show solid teams that advance far are teams with experience, discipline and clutch shooting. UA needs Miller to get them there or go hard after coaches like Tony Bennett who can coach the talent they get.

Miller needs to evolve as a coach or he will be gone after next season. I remember the time that people were demanding that he go to a zone because it was common sense. He went to it for a few minutes against UCLA and then demanded that everyone accept that he was right. This is not 2011.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In CBB it starts with your backcourt. If you have one you can make runs in March and look like a well coached team. If you don’t you can lose to a double-digit seed three years in a row.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Miller got away from recruiting guys to play in his system and that buy into defensive philosophy. Kobi Simmons was the antithesis of a Sean Miller player; yet, Miller brought him in anyway. As much as I like Trier, he was also not a Miller type of guy. He couldn’t play defense, had a me-first attitude, and caused rifts with a number of teammates, namely Gabe York and Rawle Alkins (who had his own issues). One cannot run a pack line defense with a bunch of dudes with no commitment to defense and that’s what Miller has tried to do over the past few seasons.

Next season, Arizona will bring in a bevy of talent that does not include half of the drama that past teams have brought with them. We’ll also have a legit point guard for the first time since McConnell. I fully expect them to buy into Miller’s mantra and make a run in the tournament. If not, Miller will be on thin ice.

Last edited:

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Miller got away from recruiting guys to play in his system and that buy into defensive philosophy. Kobi Simmons was the antithesis of a Sean Miller player; yet, Miller brought him in anyway. As much as I like Trier, he was also not a Miller type of guy. He couldn’t play defense, had a me-first attitude, and caused rifts with a number of teammates, namely Gabe York and Rawle Alkins (who had his own issues). One cannot run a pack line defense with a bunch of dudes with no commitment to defense and that’s what Miller has tried to do over the past few seasons.

Next season, Arizona will bring in a bevy of talent that does not include half of the drama that past teams have brought with them. We’ll also have a legit point guard for the first time since McConnell. I fully expect them to buy into Miller’s mantra and make a run in the tournament. If not, Miller will be on thin ice.

Keep in mind that Derrick Williams was the most successful player of the Miller era. And he happened to be the lowest-rated recruit in that first class that Miller brought in. He fit the mold. Williams and TJ McConnell have carried Miller. Not the McDonalds All Americans. This year will be make or break