were you ever a fan of a different NFL team before??

Red Samurai

Reaction score
I mentioned before that the Rams were my favorite team back in about 1999-2004 when they had Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt.

But back then, I was not that kind of guy who wore red. I started watching NFL and other team sports less. I still watched NFL playoffs and enjoyed it without having a favorite team. But less than 10 years ago, I would call the Arizona Cardinals my favorite team because they are the red birds. A team wearing red would make the most sense to me.

For the past 10 years, I have worn a red shirt/jacket/sweatshirt everyday and always preferred brighter red.

As for the Rams, by the time they moved back to LA, I was no longer a fan of theirs. I noticed they made the SuperBowl to lose to Tom Brady’s Patriots in 2019. I wanted to see the Rams win only because I wanted to see Tom Brady lose the SuperBowl again, not because I was a former Rams fan. Actually I wanted to see the Saints win that NFC championship game against the Rams as they were the home team in that game.

What about you guys?? Were any of you a former Rams fan or of a different NFL team?? If so, why?

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I grew up in the Bay Area. Spent my formative years in the end zones at Kezar, Candlestick, and the Oakland Mausoleum®. Oh and Stanford Stadium - I grew up minutes away and didn't miss a game for about 15 years straight, including Jim Plunkett's entire career. But I left in '85, spend the next 20 years in LA. Remained a faithful Niner fan. When I moved to Phoenix in 2004 the Niners had been seized from Eddie D, his sister had run the franchise into the ground, and the Cardinals soon put up Jiffy Pop Stadium, which enticed me to get season tickets and become a fan. My loyalty is with the Cards now, though I'm still distantly a fan of the 49ers & Raiders;

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was born in Kansas and have a LOT of family there and was a Chiefs fan. Just my luck, they really sucked most of 70s and 80s. I then became a Cardinals fan in 1987 just in time to endure 11 years of bad football and misery as the Chiefs turned into a pretty solid franchise.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was born and raised a Rams fan. My dad was a fan of the Cleveland Rams. The first NFL game I attended was at the L.A. Coliseum and I was about seven.

When the Rams moved to Orange County their facility was in my parents’ neighborhood and I saw players all the time just going about their business and being regular people. That was special.

Then Frontiere moved the team and broke.my.heart. Like a LOT of Rams fans I just couldn’t be a fan. She was that awful.

So, when I moved to AZ and realized Larry Fitzgerald was God I changed my allegiance. I’m 100% a member of the Red Sea. I have a lot of great memories of being a Rams fan, but getting punched in the heart by that woman is a slowly healing wound.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Never even cared about football until the Cards got here but after my Dad blew off Kol Nidre (the highest of Jewish holidays) and took me to the Cards Cowboys MNF game (think it was the second game of the inaugural season), I instantly became a total Cardinals and Football junkie.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started watching football at about 9 years old and AZ didn’t have a team. Every week the Cowboys were in TV and I loved their helmets. So it was kind of a natural choice at the time.

When the Cards moved to AZ my mom bought me season tickets as a birthday gift that year. Went to every game for the first 3 seasons and never looked back. Was a true Cards fan ever since. My hometown team...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I started watching football at about 9 years old and AZ didn’t have a team. Every week the Cowboys were in TV and I loved their helmets. So it was kind of a natural choice at the time.

When the Cards moved to AZ my mom bought me season tickets as a birthday gift that year. Went to every game for the first 3 seasons and never looked back. Was a true Cards fan ever since. My hometown team...

You're dead to me. :)

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
In the 1986 I was hanging with my uncle in thatcher AZ. He had a paper full of nfl logos and asked me “who do you like?”

No ish, I picked the cardinal bird head. At 10 years old.

The only thing I knew about football was it was brown with white stripes, and purportedly made of pig skin (yet to feel a real pig skin ball)… Well, I also knew the name “Danny white” (my dad played against him, my grandfather against whizzer, and I played against geoff in the early 90’s - all generations of the 2 family’s graduated the same years).

Ya, I’m a 5th gen AZ native. Not always happy about the cardinal ownership, but yes I’ve been a loyal follower since they got here.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. I moved to AZ and a couple years later they had a team.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I was a Rams fan before the Cardinals moved here.

I was really disappointed when the Rams changed their helmets. They don’t even look like my old team anymore.

OP
OP
Red Samurai

Red Samurai

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I was born and lived all my life in Toronto, Canada. I don’t watch CFL, I don’t watch college football or hockey or soccer or sports like that

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After watching the 64 Cardinals win the WS over the hated Yankees, I was made aware that there was also a St. Louis Cardinals football team. I was 6 years old at the time. Been a fan ever since. The Raiders were my favorite AFL/AFC team for many years, but they were never even close to the Cardinals for me.

OP
OP
Red Samurai

Red Samurai

Reaction score
Looks like we have some outside fans of the Cardinals.

The NFL team who is geographically the closest to where I live are the Buffalo Bills. But I was never a fan of theirs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nope. Never even cared about football until the Cards got here but after my Dad blew off Kol Nidre (the highest of Jewish holidays) and took me to the Cards Cowboys MNF game (think it was the second game of the inaugural season), I instantly became a total Cardinals and Football junkie.
Being 7 years older than cheese the cards hadn’t yet moved to az during my formative football years. So I was a Rams fan (liked the uniforms, loved Eric Dickerson, loved Kevin Greene, and there were rumors they might move to phx) and bears (pops grew up in Chicago and was friends with bears tram doc, so I got to meet Walter Payton). Didn’t take long to convert me when the cards moved to AZ. I still have a REALLY ratty old unlicensed “Phoenix Cardinals” hat that I bought at the old Swap Meet when I was home from college when the move was announced. I was stoked to wear it back to school. Little did I know what I would mean for a decade of scorn and ridicule being surrounded by giants, cowboys, redskins, and eagles fans going to school back east.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Wow, what a terrific bday present!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Was a bears far until Cards moved here. It has been a difficult journey but worth it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being 7 years older than cheese the cards hadn’t yet moved to az during my formative football years. So I was a Rams fan (liked the uniforms, loved Eric Dickerson, loved Kevin Greene, and there were rumors they might move to phx) and bears (pops grew up in Chicago and was friends with bears tram doc, so I got to meet Walter Payton). Didn’t take long to convert me when the cards moved to AZ. I still have a REALLY ratty old unlicensed “Phoenix Cardinals” hat that I bought at the old Swap Meet when I was home from college when the move was announced. I was stoked to wear it back to school. Little did I know what I would mean for a decade of scorn and ridicule being surrounded by giants, cowboys, redskins, and eagles fans going to school back east.

He cheered for the Rams during that first season when they played the Cards. As did other brother not Ouchie cheer for the Niners.

All of which means I’m the best.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Dad was a cardinal fan when they were here in Chicago. When they moved to St. Louis my dad and uncles would drive down to St. Louis for a couple of games a year and he started taking me with. I was 11 or 12. My dad passed away in 1982. I could never change teams. He would haunt my ass! Lol. Oh and do you know I hate the Bears!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow you are so my brother from another mother. Same thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose