Well, it's been a Fun Season

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The injury bug is what changed our season. It is hard to beat every team in this league, for you just never know which of their multiple personalities will show up. Injuries effected all teams for a few weeks this season. I think the more mature older teams were able to deal with it better than maybe we did. We proved how much we need experienced motivational leaders on the field.

I don't see us advancing far in the playoffs, mainly because without our complete lineup, especially on offense, we just aren't the same and are much easier for other teams to game plan their D vs us. Bad enough to lose Hopkins, but Conner missing in our backfield really showed.

Now for our coach, KK. Today, I had an awakening to who he really is. I totally understand him now, realizing today what I did. We have all had our criticisms of him, wondering if he will ever learn, especially in the area of game planning and play calling. And today it was revealed to me. I am sorry to say the answer is NO. And here is why.

KK has the exact mindset of the hundreds of bad poker players I made a living off of different times in my life. They all have one thing in common. They cannot change or help themselves in any way, and won't ever. It is ingrained in them, mentally, psychologically, or maybe even genetically. There is something about them that makes them have to gamble. By that I mean, they just can't be influenced by statistics. Even if they know the more logical and proven way to something, there is something inside of them that makes them have to gamble, choose the wilder, more fun, way to do it. The simple basic thing that would work the most times, goes against every cell of the nature. If it is going against the grain, having to prove logic and statistics wrong, or the desire to one up everyone else, I am not sure. But they just have to do it their way, no matter what, win or lose.

KK is just like so many bad poker players that just can't lay down a bad hand. It doesn't matter what they must be up against, they are going to play what they want for better or worse. And when the craziest choices they make occasionally, and luckily, come through, that only strengthens their resolve to keep doing it. It can fail 5 times in a row, but if it works once, that makes perfect sense to them to keep doing it.

If you watch poker on TV, you see that person in most hands. The tightest and best 2 players that rarely play a hand unless its ace, kings, or very similar, can bet and raise in front of them, and they refuse to acknowledge that person's strength, and call with about anything they can justify in their minds. Like taking a pair of 5's or 9's up against a player that obviously is likely to have aces or kings, they just can't lay it down. It is just too much fun for them to make 3 of a kind and beat the better hand 1 out of 5 times, than to not try. The joy for them is in the gamble, not the winning per se. Doing what is most reliable and profitable in the long run, is just against their very nature. They can't and won't do that.

It is just like KK going so often for a 1st down when it 4th and 4, or going for 2 points after a TD rather than settle for the sure 1 point, which could mean the difference in winning or losing in the long run. The thrill of trying to win that one play, even when shown that they will lose more in the long run doing that, is just too strong. It's like an addiction to the thrill of the action.

Does that all mean that KK won't one day take us to the Super Bowl and even win? No, I have seen the very worst poker players win the WS of Poker. But do you see them still around after a few years? No, they all went broke eventually, many with much more serious and sad endings than just losing their money.

So enjoy the ride, it will seem fun when KK's gambles pay off. Just realize that in the long run he will get us more losses than wins coaching like that. But don't expect him to learn or change. Truly, he just can't. It is his nature.

One quick story: I had a gambling friend who loved playing poker with us. A huge loser who played so many bad hands nightly. He was losing so much that several of us sat down with him once and explained to him that to win he needed to tighten up and not play so many hands. Rather, wait for a good hand, even if it took a while to see one. His response was, "I just can't do that. If I could only play such few hands, I would quit playing. It would be just too boring to play like some of you do, waiting an hour or more to ever play a hand."

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Injuries affected our season, no doubt.

But losing to Cam Newton and then.... THE FRICKING LIONS... Hurts only slightly less, than watching Santonio Holmes catch in the SB.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was encouraged at our game plan KK put together and the game he called.

He stuck with the run game. He put Kyler under center more than any other game this year.

He was not flawless. I totally disagree going for 2 pts. early in the game when you’re winning. Not today or ever would I chase points when leading. On our last drive if we are forced to punt the Cowboys needed only a fg to tie rather than a td.

Chase takes it down to the 1 yard line and we abandon he run. Why?

However, when you eliminate mistake and win these decisions are glossed over.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We got some help from the refs too. Nice to see the home team Cowboys get penalties we usually get that negates important plays.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got some help from the refs too. Nice to see the home team Cowboys get penalties we usually get that negates important plays.
We did. The Budda Baker interception was nullified by a penalty and an entire Dallas TD drive was fueled by PI penalties.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose