Welcome Cam Johnson

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by DevonCardsFan, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Thanks for the criticism. Sorry I interrupted your day.

2. Evil Ash

Evil Ash Henchman Supreme

To be fair I love the after-the-draft posts overrating this draft. It was considered by many to be EXTREMELY top heavy well before the draft and that after the top 3 teams were largely taking chances on players.

Cam has the looks to be a good role player and often that's the best you can hope for in a bad draft

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I can’t argue with this being a weak draft. It absolutely was. I don’t think we can say anything like “cam has the look of . . . “ anything at this point. He’s tall. He was a really good shooter in college. His selection was widely panned. That’s all he has the look of as of today . . . at least to me.

4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Sorry if it seemed snippy. It just feels like a change of position to me. I don’t recall you (or anyone on this board) even mentioning Cam as a possibility . . . even when the board discussed trade downs, prior to the draft. So at that time virtually everyone in this board would’ve likely listed 16-28 players above him. But now that he’s ours some posters revise their redraft position on him. If we wouldn’t have drafted him and he went 12th I’ll bet this whole board would’ve been hollering about him being a reach and would’ve still listed 16-28 players above him.

I mean you can take it as a criticism, but it’s more an observation about how this bird operates once a player is a sun.

5. Chaplin

That’s a fine point, but we also know a lot more about most of these picks than we did before the draft, no? Honestly I don’t know if Cam will be any good, but after looking at him and seeing some of the other guys in front of him in action, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be cautiously optimistic that we made the right call.

6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Huh? How do we know more about them? Cam didn’t even play in summer league. And the guy everyone wanted before the draft, that everyone now points to as the poster child for overvaluing players - Brandon Clarke - did play and had the best summer league, so why would anyone now change their ranking . . . other than cam is now a sun? Again not being snarky, I just don’t get it.

Hoop Head likes this.
  7. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

So @Ouchie-Z-Clown and @Chaplin they had an interesting discussion on the radio today about when we drafted Booker. He was drafted 13, and by many post draft he was seen as a stretch. Heck most criticized the Suns because he was a reach, and he didn't even start on his team in college! That sounds remarkably like this discussion. No one had him as high as the Suns drafted Booker. Then they went through all the guys drafted ahead of Booker. Wow, were there some misses! We now have one of the players drafted ahead of Booker in Frank Kaminsky!

Assuming he shoots similar to his percentages in college, he has a chance to prove he is in the top 15 in this draft.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

this is completely revisionist history by whoever had that convo on the radio. Most commended the pick.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...ay-hangover-how-do-the-phoenix-suns-grade-out

The Suns got As and Bs on down the line with the Booker pick, with almost everyone from Chris Mannix at SI to Yahoo... to CBS... to Woj and Chad Ford saying it was a good pick, a couple of them saying he had Klay Thompson-type ability, literally NONE of them saying he was a reach or a stretch.

then, there's more from
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2506389-2015-nba-draft-grades-full-team-by-team-report-cards

gave us a B+

and

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2015/06/25/phoenix-suns-2015-nba-draft-grades-devin-booker/

gave us a B+

Besides the fact that Booker was the youngest player ever drafted (I think) which means he had room to grow s a player as opposed to a 23 year old 5th year player.

The talk about Booker and Johnson as far as being a reach and limited ceiling couldn't be further from the truth.

9. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

That could also mean there wasn’t much difference after the first pick or two.

10. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

Maybe a taller Craig Hodges. If he develops that way we lucked out. Someone who is North Carolina fan mentioned that.

11. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

no he did not

12. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Booker is still 7 months younger than this cat. Oubre is younger also. And his medical isn't the cleanest either.

No sense in dressing up this pig. If he works out, great.

13. Chaplin

Please enlighten us how he is a “pig.” Is it simply because he was taken 6 spots earlier than the “experts” thought he should have been? And so what that he’s older than Booker? Why does that make any difference?

14. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

I had actually watched videos on Cam before the draft and saw him in several games so I was familiar with him but I definitely had atleast 15 players above him , maybe not necessarily because of talent but because he was a wing which was a position we had full. I actually like Cam and I'm not upset on the reach considering after the top few it was a gamble, but that at that time they had gaping holes at PG and PF and Clarke checked most boxes that we needed. I do think if any other team but the sun's picked Cam at 11 there wouldn't have been as much criticism

15. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

I agree. It's not like he's 30 years old. I would love to be his age.