Week 9 Snap Counts and Thoughts

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Yea, Vallejo missed two tackles, but he has great instincts and the speed to make splash plays. I've often wondered why he's never solidified a starting position.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Watching yesterday I too thought Vallejo was pretty good and wondered why he wasn’t getting more PT

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thats why you don't quit on Josh Jones. He has shown ability, but he doesn't look like he is quite strong enough yet. That will come with time.
I think it is tough for a young player to straddle being an OT and an OG. Just a different level of strength is required inside especially with a short QB.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Another weird week so snap counts are more interesting than telling IMO.

I did not recognize that Pugh went out so early. Harlow played 81% of the offensive snaps and held up pretty well if you ask me.

A lot of 11 personnel which you can tell by Wesley, Ertz and Conner's snap counts. All 77% or higher.

I couldn't tell you when Isabella's 7 offensive snaps came but apparently they were there.

Phillips playing 34% of snaps seems low but maybe those were mostly early and they yanked him late when it was in hand.

Collins played 3 snaps. I would hope that is due to health.

Jalen Thompson playing 76% and Alford playing 46% seems low. It is personnel package based but I can't figure out who they subbed in for them. Only thing I can think of is that they had Simmons play nickel CB and S.

Kinda surprised Kennard only got 9 snaps (15%) as I thought he played well and has been playing well recently

Isabella must've pissed off the coaching staff. Guess when you dont take COVID protocols seriously, you get in the dog house. The fact that he's been supplainted by Wesley is damning.

Maybe it was health, but Collins really hasnt stood out this season. This is not a Simmons situation in which last season, when he was in, he made an impact. I think Collins has stood out a hand full of times this season, but he hasnt been anything special. Maybe he figures it out next season, but he hasnt been that great.

I'm more surprised that Golden was only in on 47% of the snaps because he was the most active player on defense yesterday

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Isabella must've pissed off the coaching staff. Guess when you dont take COVID protocols seriously, you get in the dog house. The fact that he's been supplainted by Wesley is damning.

Maybe it was health, but Collins really hasnt stood out this season. This is not a Simmons situation in which last season, when he was in, he made an impact. I think Collins has stood out a hand full of times this season, but he hasnt been anything special. Maybe he figures it out next season, but he hasnt been that great.

I'm more surprised that Golden was only in on 47% of the snaps because he was the most active player on defense yesterday
How did he not take the protocols seriously?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I will use your Collins jest for Isabella. He just isn't very good. Wesley can at least create a little room and make a contested catch as well as be a big body outside to block. Isabella can't get off the LOS, struggles to separate, and doesn't offer any sort of blocking. I don't know if there is anything salvageable in Isabella but he is still having the same issues he had at the Senior Bowl. The amount of time it takes him to get off the line of scrimmage and the lack of efficiency in his route running just makes it that he is never an option because he is never where he needs to be when he needs to be there.

Re: Collins. Vance's defense is overly complicated in what it asks it's players to do. Way too many if/then rules for players especially at LB. He is having to think way too much which is taking away his speed which is what makes him special. Couple that with a lack of reps and you get a young player who is trying to be perfect in limited moments. Collins will be fine.

Golden is a matchup decision. His aggressiveness can be exploited by the Shanahan zone-scheme and so Vance has moved Allen to more of the edge role. I am sure the game script had something to do with it as well.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why the heck Hicks was covering Kittle in the end zone is beyond me. That should be Simmons all day, every day.
That is Vance going full galaxy brain. It was the same in Denver when he would drop Von Miller in coverage on passing downs which he still does with Chandler Jones in AZ. Vance likes to overcomplicate things which can make things easier on the opposing team. Bringing Simmons on the pressure and dropping Hicks onto Kittle when you know Jimmy only has a couple options he trusts in the passing game is not creative, it is jus giving the opposing team what they want.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Vallejo is essentially Jordan Hicks at a fraction of the salary and playing a more appropriate number of snaps for his ability.

I actually think Vallejo is better in coverage, faster and more instinctive than Hicks. Apparently, what he doesn't have is Hicks' command of the defense and ability to be an on field coach.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasnt hicks coverage part of what led to at least one of the fumbles?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is Vance going full galaxy brain. It was the same in Denver when he would drop Von Miller in coverage on passing downs which he still does with Chandler Jones in AZ. Vance likes to overcomplicate things which can make things easier on the opposing team. Bringing Simmons on the pressure and dropping Hicks onto Kittle when you know Jimmy only has a couple options he trusts in the passing game is not creative, it is jus giving the opposing team what they want.

Simmons took a step or two towards the scrimmage line and stood there.

I wonder if this was a busted assignment.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the heck Hicks was covering Kittle in the end zone is beyond me. That should be Simmons all day, every day.
Was it man coverage? I didn't think it was.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasnt hicks coverage part of what led to at least one of the fumbles?

No he was a yard behind the play so he could benefit from someone else's amazing play.

Absent of those fumble recoveries he Suuuuucked

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson