Week 5: Cardinals Off-Season Thread 02/06/2023-02/12/2023

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd bring Pugh back on a vet minimum contract. People around here can talk all the smack they want, but if there was a Mt Rushmore of Arizona Cardinals best OL, Justin Pugh might be on it or close to being on it. He's been a good player and a loyal player.
I would agree that he's been one of our better OL in the past, although that isn't a great accomplishment with the Cards. He was decent in the past, but he is old and broken down now. Why in the world would we waste a year on him when we could be getting valuable game time for our future IOL players--whoever they may be lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would agree that he's been one of our better OL in the past, although that isn't a great accomplishment with the Cards. He was decent in the past, but he is old and broken down now. Why in the world would we waste a year on him when we could be getting valuable game time for our future IOL players--whoever they may be lol
Because he still brings veteran leadership. I wouldn't guarantee him a spot, he'd have to fight for it at this point.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because he still brings veteran leadership. I wouldn't guarantee him a spot, he'd have to fight for it at this point.
I disagree but can see where you're coming from. No guaranteed money, okay, but he'll never take that deal. Thing is, if he gets the guaranteed money, he takes up roster space and a cap hit, and when he gets injured or just isn't good any more, that hurts us a little.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd bring Pugh back on a vet minimum contract. People around here can talk all the smack they want, but if there was a Mt Rushmore of Arizona Cardinals best OL, Justin Pugh might be on it or close to being on it. He's been a good player and a loyal player.
Yeah, this appears like it will be a mutually beneficial separation. Cardinals aren't going to offer Pugh the $ or situation he is looking for.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If there wasn't a question about retirement it is a different convo IMO. Because he has shared it is a possibility, no longer an option and that is ok. Great FA signing for the Cardinals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing him back on a minimum scares me the same way we did AJ Green where the team looked like they figured the starting spot was solved for cheap.

Can’t afford to keep playing that game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Bringing him back on a minimum scares me the same way we did AJ Green where the team looked like they figured the starting spot was solved for cheap.

Can’t afford to keep playing that game.
Not what I'm advocating for at all. Currently the Cardinals basically have Hayes and Lecitus Smith at OG. I'd resign Hernandez and Pugh, and draft a guard to compete for the spot. I doubt that Pugh is looking for that type of situation based on his comments however.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed completely Stout. That ship has sailed. I'm almost at the point of a total rebuild on the line moving forward. Especially since 2023 is a wash.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember hearing a YouTube video or it might have read it on here, that VJ is highly respected by the players. Collins brings that up again. I don’t really think that MB would hire him as the HC but anything is possible.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not what I'm advocating for at all. Currently the Cardinals basically have Hayes and Lecitus Smith at OG. I'd resign Hernandez and Pugh, and draft a guard to compete for the spot. I doubt that Pugh is looking for that type of situation based on his comments however.

Bring back FORD at a low-end cost and see if he can restart his career.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that’s not what you’re advocating. It’s what I’m afraid that move would signal and the team would treat that position solved same as when they stupidly got AJ Green back and people lauded it because we got him for cheap. More often then not, this team gets what they pay for when they go cheap.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know that’s not what you’re advocating. It’s what I’m afraid that move would signal and the team would treat that position solved same as when they stupidly got AJ Green back and people lauded it because we got him for cheap. More often then not, this team gets what they pay for when they go cheap.
I dunno. Keim would, but the current offensive players will (hopefully) have no equity with the coaching or personnel staff. All that will be there is what's on tape.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. Keim would, but the current offensive players will (hopefully) have no equity with the coaching or personnel staff. All that will be there is what's on tape.
If Mikey wasn’t hovering over every decision, I wouldn’t worry about that scenario.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Mikey wasn’t hovering over every decision, I wouldn’t worry about that scenario.
FWIW, I think that Michael only cares about the high-profile stuff. He wants people to know that he's Providing Feedback to the coaches, but he doesn't sit down with, like, Steve Heiden to get to know offensive line technique.

If you believe @MaoTosiFanClub he's too cowardly to even fire high-level staffers and would push that over to Keim. If it's work, he'd rather be flying.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, we have lost our OLB coach and two DB coaches…and we may retain Vance. Makes no sense.