Week 3- Chicago Bears @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame thread, 2018

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is my version of Build-Your-Own-Vontae-Davis:

Bradford walks straight out of stadium at half time in Cardinals uniform after some personal meetings with Mack during the first half

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On a serious note, I think Cards have a chance to win this game. Chicago and Arizona are both bottom 5 offenses. Chicago defense is good but not Rams good. And this being a home game, Cardinals can keep their defense in check. Color me semi-excited. Can you imagine if they lose this game by double digits? boy-o-boy

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Um, anyone else see we're 1 point favorites? Trubisky sucks and won't be the Bears starter in 3 years, but I just watched MNF and that's a better team than us. Their front 7 is good, they have 2 decent CB's, and an offensive scheme.

My joke was going to be that our goal should be to beat the spread but I'm seeing us as favorites. If you're into betting, time to go make some money. I will literally be happy if we keep it within a score so I have a reason to watch the 4th quarter for the first time this year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Any game between the Bears and Cardinals comes with a long backstory involving the Bidwill family.

The Cardinals were bought by Billy Bowtie's daddy Charlie Sr. back in the 1930s. At the time, Charlie was an investor in the Chicago Bears, but had to divest himself. To help get through the depression, Charlie lent money to George Halas, and once merged the Cardinals with the Steelers due to a player shortage during WWII.

No one ever thanked him for that. He tried to field a winning team once, but died before he could see it to completion (1947, I think). When his widow and her new husband William Wolfner took over the team, it languished. But as long as the number at the bottom of the ledger was black, they didn't care. He moved the team to St. Louis. Billy and his brother Charlie Jr. waged a rather bitter probate battle to gain control of the team, and won.

Billy bought out his brother, but learned that running a sports team could make money. He only had to ask Donald Sterling. All he wanted was a black bottom line, and passed that on to Michael.

I've heard this from my father, who was a probate attorney in St. Louis for 50+ years. The Cardinals followed us out to Arizona in 1988 or whenever, and we were both skeptical of the outcome. So far = nada mucho.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That defense is good. Very good. Fast.

And as bad as Trubisky is at present, he’s an athlete and can make things happen with his legs. And Nagy has a creative mind. Oh, and Jordan Howard/Tarik Cohen is a good combo, their young wr (Miller) looks better than ours (Kirk), they have Allan Robinson and Taylor Gabriel and burton at TE. In other words, they are a real team.

Cardinals suck.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Nagy will call plays that will exploit our unsettled defense even more. Redskins and Rams did nothing fancy while cruising to an easy W. The Bears have lots of deception and gimmick offense going on, which could be really embarassing if we don't show up again.

I'm not even talking about the Bears defense. The way Bradford has looked so far, he will continue running backwards and throwing checkdowns. The Rosen era is near.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a serious note, I think Cards have a chance to win this game. Chicago and Arizona are both bottom 5 offenses. Chicago defense is good but not Rams good. And this being a home game, Cardinals can keep their defense in check. Color me semi-excited. Can you imagine if they lose this game by double digits? boy-o-boy
You are kidding , right. The Bears defense is damn good . They totally contained a very good and mobile qb. They will shut us out.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The team has done absolutely nothing to deserve this comment but this feels like a game where they surprise everyone and make it competitive. The Bears ground game is not impressive and I think our secondary can take advantage of Trubisky. Should be a low scoring affair.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You are kidding , right. The Bears defense is damn good . They totally contained a very good and mobile qb. They will shut us out.

I am not betting any money against Bears or their defense. Cards with their backs to wall, improved run defense from game #1 to game #2, short week for opponent, home game, plan to get DJ involved for reals, opposing QB unable to read defenses etc. There is a lot going for cards so it will not be a surprise if Cards eke out a win or game is very close entering 5 mins into 4th quarter.

Again, if Cards get blown out, welp! Might as well fire McCoy that night.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I am not betting any money against Bears or their defense. Cards with their backs to wall, improved run defense from game #1 to game #2, short week for opponent, home game, plan to get DJ involved for reals, opposing QB unable to read defenses etc. There is a lot going for cards so it will not be a surprise if Cards eke out a win or game is very close entering 5 mins into 4th quarter.

Again, if Cards get blown out, welp! Might as well fire McCoy that night.

Lol.. that was funny.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I've heard this from my father, who was a probate attorney in St. Louis for 50+ years. The Cardinals followed us out to Arizona in 1988 or whenever, and we were both skeptical of the outcome. So far = nada mucho.

The Bidwills flipped a $5,000 purchase of a niche sporting franchise into a Billion dollar organization.... sign me up.

No one disputes Bill's incompetence in running this franchise (surprised you didn't mention that the basis for probate battle: Bill was, unknowingly, an adopted family member and as such, his brother didn't think he deserved his share of inheritance.) Regardless, those days are finally behind us as Michael has done just about all you can ask. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't remember a lot of decisions over the past 15 or so years that I've disagreed with.

That said, the Bears front seven are going to destroy us, and we've seen too many significant break-downs by our secondary to think we can hold anyone to a low enough score to be competitive any just about any game this year.

Where I originally thought we could get 7 wins, I'm now hoping we manage 3. This week won't be one of them.

Go Cards!!!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
to me, the saddest part is.... the bears are exactly what we thought this team was. Poor to middling offense with a strong defense based on pressure to gain turnovers...
granted... I was expecting more : their defense prior to Mack...but still...watching the bears play I see what I was expecting to see from the redbirds this season

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bidwills flipped a $5,000 purchase of a niche sporting franchise into a Billion dollar organization.... sign me up.

No one disputes Bill's incompetence in running this franchise (surprised you didn't mention that the basis for probate battle: Bill was, unknowingly, an adopted family member and as such, his brother didn't think he deserved his share of inheritance.) Regardless, those days are finally behind us as Michael has done just about all you can ask. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't remember a lot of decisions over the past 15 or so years that I've disagreed with.

That said, the Bears front seven are going to destroy us, and we've seen too many significant break-downs by our secondary to think we can hold anyone to a low enough score to be competitive any just about any game this year.

Where I originally thought we could get 7 wins, I'm now hoping we manage 3. This week won't be one of them.

Go Cards!!!
Do you (or anyone here) have the back story behind why Michael B and other members of the Cardinal brass chose to turn the page on a perfectly decent football team, with an effective offensive and defensive systems in place, (and the players to go with them)?

You normally don't gut the way you do business unless what you were doing was a total failure. Rather than apply a few bandages to a mildly nicked up redbird beast - Michael B and Steve K repeatedly drove a tractor-trailer over it. Why did they do that?

Anyone know?