Week 10 Cardinals Off-season: 03/13/2023-03/19/2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it still is though, but DT isn't as important as Edge.

The Cardinals have below replacement level players at DT. Cam Thomas and Sanders aren't as bad as Lawrence and Fotu, who have no business being in the NFL from what I've seen.

I like Anderson a lot, but he is starting to be a bit overrated on this board. He isn't viewed in the same class as the Bosas were. And I still wouldn't pass on him unless a team is throwing multiple #1s and other picks.

Does anyone have a link to anyone saying that Anderson isn't in the same class as Bosa?

I'm not expert but in my opinion he's as good. Bosa's injury history aside he played in the Big10 vs Anderson in the SEC. The quality of tackles is much higher in the SEC in my opinion.

In 3 years played Bosa had 17.5 sacks, and 29 TFL's in 29 games.

In 3 years played Will Anderson has 34.5 sacks and 58.5 TFL's in 41 games

Anderson has twice the sacks and twice the TFL's in only 40% more games in a better division.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well it looks like everyone is on the same page, I guess.

Players are really going to put their bodies on the line for a team that is all-in to support them.

Every team that ever tanked had players that did.

Maybe the news on Kyler's knee isn't as good as we're being told and they think they might have to give him the whole season? Or that they need to give him a season to get back his running ability?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Every team that ever tanked had players that did.

Maybe the news on Kyler's knee isn't as good as we're being told and they think they might have to give him the whole season? Or that they need to give him a season to get back his running ability?
I guess. Bad players just trying to hang on to their NFL jobs. NFL teams rarely rarely rarely tank. It's much more common for front offices to create a kind of benign neglect and you end up with the 2018 Cardinals who suck only kinda on purpose.

It's relatively easy to field a six- or seven-win NFL team. It takes some work or a lot of bad luck to field a two-win NFL team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I guess. Bad players just trying to hang on to their NFL jobs. NFL teams rarely rarely rarely tank. It's much more common for front offices to create a kind of benign neglect and you end up with the 2018 Cardinals who suck only kinda on purpose.

It's relatively easy to field a six- or seven-win NFL team. It takes some work or a lot of bad luck to field a two-win NFL team.
Exactly. In a bad NFC if Gannon is the coach Bidwill expects him to be then even a tanking roster gets 6’ish wins.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Exactly. In a bad NFC if Gannon is the coach Bidwill expects him to be then even a tanking roster gets 6’ish wins.
If Kyler comes back. If you have conflict between the HC and the GM on the direction of the franchise, you end up with a Houston Texans situation the past couple of years.

An NFL team with Davis Mills at QB can win 4 games. An NFL team with a professional NFL QB should be around six wins, especially if Kyler comes back and plays like an average QB.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
So if we pick up the option does it free up $36 million in cap space this year (or a large portion of it)? Not that we need cap space the way we see going.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So if we pick up the option does it free up $36 million in cap space this year (or a large portion of it)? Not that we need cap space the way we see going.
I don't know how that works.

EDIT: According to Spotrac, his base salary is showing as $2 million and cap charge is $16 million...maybe it already went down???

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know how that works.

EDIT: According to Spotrac, his base salary is showing as $2 million and cap charge is $16 million...maybe it already went down???

I think it assumes that the contract is going to play out as designed, not how things stand at the moment.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For what it's worth I don't think anyone in the building has used the word tank.

But what do you want them to do when your starting QB is badly injured? We all already said we know the Cards aren't going to do anything next season. At best if we threw everything into next year and Kyler came back by game 6 we would have a 10% chance of making the playoffs. And they haven't shot our load trying to compete next year we don;t have the resources to compete in 2024 either.

This is called Steve Keim syndrome.

So knowing they cannot compete next year they are trying to conserve the limited resources at their disposal and gain additional resources via trades and comp picks to compete in 2024. I expect they will either restructure Kyler to bring more money forward into this year or try to conserve as much cap as possible to roll over into 2024.

This is all very obvious stuff if anyone took any time to think about it.

At the same time, I don't think they are actively tanking or they would not have brought in Kyzir White. They could have played Zeke Turner and Kamu Grugier-Hill in that spot.

They are going to try bring in some solid vets with upside on reasonable contracts to start to lay a foundation for 2024. White, Hernandez and Froholdt are all 2 year deals. And now more than ever I expect them to trade back in the draft (although trade partners are dwindling) and pick up more picks.

This team was never competing next year so why blow our wad on gaining a couple more pointless wins?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
do you take a flyer on Kenny Golliday?

if he returns to Lions Kenny Golliday it works -- Cards need some size at WR
Can't be any worse than some of the WR dreg that's been thrown out there the last few years. I'm sure he won't cost anything near what Chosen cost the team...he knows he needs to prove it.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Lol. WHY? I’d rather take a flyer on a 5th rounder at Wr.
You can still bring in Galloday on a vet minimum deal and cut him before week 1, if he shows nothing in camp or preseason. No harm in that at all, IMO. No draft compensation given up to get him...shouldn't impact any comp pick formula. So why not do both? A lot will depend on who the Cards have as opening day QB, though...I think Kenny proved he needs a good QB to thrive. When with Stafford, he was pretty darn good, but with Jones, he couldn't do anything. He's not the type of WR that can just succeed, no matter who is throwing the ball.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can still bring in Galloday on a vet minimum deal and cut him before week 1, if he shows nothing in camp or preseason. No harm in that at all, IMO. No draft compensation given up to get him...shouldn't impact any comp pick formula. So why not do both? A lot will depend on who the Cards have as opening day QB, though...I think Kenny proved he needs a good QB to thrive. When with Stafford, he was pretty darn good, but with Jones, he couldn't do anything. He's not the type of WR that can just succeed, no matter who is throwing the ball.
I just don’t see it. A guy drafted that high has turned out to be a total flop. I get bringing him in with the scenario you’ve outlined, but if cost risks Bidwill 1 penny I don’t think we will see it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lol. WHY? I’d rather take a flyer on a 5th rounder at Wr.
Why not both?

The hilarious thing is people expecting quality veterans to come here on "prove it" deals. Like B+ play on a team that wins four games is going to impress anyone.

So many fans satisfied with a Houston Texans model that has generated success literally nowhere. It's just embarrassing, TBH.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not both?

The hilarious thing is people expecting quality veterans to come here on "prove it" deals. Like B+ play on a team that wins four games is going to impress anyone.

So many fans satisfied with a Houston Texans model that has generated success literally nowhere. It's just embarrassing, TBH.
It wouldn’t hurt. But I don’t see Bidwill wasting 1cent this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose