Week 1 FA Arizona Cardinals

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that is a fair analogy.

I will say this however---stay tuned because I think the Cardinals might surprise us with a QB signing either via FA or the draft. I don't think BA or SK ever wants to have what happened at QB this past year happen again.

i hope it too
actually we are wasting a roster spot for a tigh end who want play qb
we didnt have many winning season
and see one of the few times where we could reach the playoff and having at qb the worst qb i have ever seen is something difficult to digest
all of us knew was like throwing the season away,raising the white flag
he knows the playbook? who cares, when u are not able to throw as a professional player does

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I could only see the Cards picking up a QB late if at all. Bet BA gives LT this year to show any progression, then it's make or break for him. IMO

BA is not a patient man. If LT was so bad in practice that BA couldn't start him over Lindley---he's not going to waste much more time on Thomas. Sure, he will give him a look---but that look may be as short as the look he got in practice later in the year. What BA will do is he'll surprise us with another QB and then jump him ahead of Thomas.

Will BA go the Darren Fells route in developing Thomas as a TE?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
mitch better we find a good blocking tigh end ,about the draft i know is a poor class regarding TE's
do u have some names of players who are solid either receiving and blocking

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
az jam---all the FA and Draft names you mention are appealing to me. I think that BA&SK are thinking in a very similar mode.

Mitch,
How nice it is to be on a thread accessing the Cards free agent signings and what else they should do. I got burnt out looking at the Adrain Peterson rumor thread of over 100 pages. No offense but this is more constructive.

JAM

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good write up Walter. I still think we need to sign Wisnewsky to be our center. Neither Larsen or Shipley are even as good as Sendlein. If the Cardinals are truly going to make a push to be in the Super Bowl they will have to sign one of AP, Justin Houston or Greg Hardy. If they don't get one of those three then it will take a miracle to get past Seattle.

BA&HG think that Shipley is their guy. They have been trying to acquire him for three years. If they didn't think Shipley or Larsen was better than Sendlein, they wouldn't have signed Shipley and they wouldn't have let Sendlein go (they probably could have gotten him to agree to a reasonable pay cut---but the pay cut they recently offered was likely near the minimum, which is why Sendlein is now on the market).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Interesting pass rusher name - George Johnson of Detroit. They only gave him the low RFA tender, but since they didn't draft him they only get right to match offer with no draft pick compensation needed by the signing team.

Had 6 sacks last year as a part time player, only 50% of the snaps.

Did the light finally come on, was it playing next to Suh, was it scheme, combo of all three? Not sure, I didnt see him play last year.

Dont remember who but it was an interesting name brought up by someone on the radio this week when asked who should be getting more interest right now.

All I know is they didnt create 10 mill in cap space currently just to sit on it, something is up, something there are zero rumors about maybe.

Great call on Johnson, Joe. I remember watching him last year and thinking whoa where did this guy come from. He is big, physical and can turn the corner with a burst.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA is not a patient man. If LT was so bad in practice that BA couldn't start him over Lindley---he's not going to waste much more time on Thomas. Sure, he will give him a look---but that look may be as short as the look he got in practice later in the year. What BA will do is he'll surprise us with another QB and then jump him ahead of Thomas.

Will BA go the Darren Fells route in developing Thomas as a TE?

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just go another direction. Show me the GM/HC that has not made a bad pick. No such thing. They all have misses.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just go another direction. Show me the GM/HC that has not made a bad pick. No such thing. They all have misses.

Agreed. What was so surprising was that Zach Mettenberger was on the board and he of any QB in that class seemed to fit the BA QB criteria.

However, Thomas is a very good athlete. Not only does he project well athletically to the TE position, I've been wondering if he could rush the edge as an OLB. I would love to see him try it!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. What was so surprising was that Zach Mettenberger was on the board and he of any QB in that class seemed to fit the BA QB criteria.

However, Thomas is a very good athlete. Not only does he project well athletically to the TE position, I've been wondering if he could rush the edge as an OLB. I would love to see him try it!

he has more chances of playing in the nfl as a kicker then qb
usually we see qb converting tigh end or wrs
is possible to see a tigh end converting DE or a FB converting LB
But never heard a qb converting OLB

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
mitch better we find a good blocking tigh end ,about the draft i know is a poor class regarding TE's
do u have some names of players who are solid either receiving and blocking

It's a weak class for TEs this year, juza. Maxx Williams is head and shoulders the top receiving TE prospect. The kid from Miami, Clive Walford (6-4, 263) is the best all-purpose TE. Then there will be the receiving types: Devin Funchess and Nick O'Leary for teams like the Pats who want receivers. The Notre Dame TE Ben Koyack (6-5, 261) is a better athlete than Niklas, but not as strong of a blocker.

On the later rounds, Jeff Heuerman (6-5, 252, Ohio St.) could be a nice pick for the Cards.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA&HG think that Shipley is their guy. They have been trying to acquire him for three years. If they didn't think Shipley or Larsen was better than Sendlein, they wouldn't have signed Shipley and they wouldn't have let Sendlein go (they probably could have gotten him to agree to a reasonable pay cut---but the pay cut they recently offered was likely near the minimum, which is why Sendlein is now on the market).

Sendlein could return if no one signs him. He would have to swallow his pride and take whatever salary the Cards would offer. I think either Urban or Somers said he could be back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dwight Freeney makes sense for this team. I prefer Mason Foster to Nate Irving but neither are great. CBs at this point are nothing special. I don't see why we would add anther lineman.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dwight Freeney makes sense for this team. I prefer Mason Foster to Nate Irving but neither are great. CBs at this point are nothing special. I don't see why we would add anther lineman.

Best CBs long gone. I suggested Tramon Williams but I think he will re-sign with the Packers and they were phasing him out. He met with Saints and got no offer. I really like Marcus Peters Washington in the draft. But he probably will be gone before we pick.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much gas does he still have in the tank?

Prove it deal might just revitalize him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Best CBs long gone. I suggested Tramon Williams but I think he will re-sign with the Packers and they were phasing him out. He met with Saints and got no offer. I really like Marcus Peters Washington in the draft. But he probably will be gone before we pick.

The CB I love is Quentin Rollins (5-11, 195, Miami-Ohio). He's converted point guard who plays passing lanes with uncanny anticipation. But---he only has one year of football under his belt, albeit a year in which he was awarded MAC Defensive Player of the Year and went on to shine at the Senior Bowl. He's not a blazer (4.57), but he is cat-quick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The CB I love is Quentin Rollins (5-11, 195, Miami-Ohio). He's converted point guard who plays passing lanes with uncanny anticipation. But---he only has one year of football under his belt, albeit a year in which he was awarded MAC Defensive Player of the Year and went on to shine at the Senior Bowl. He's not a blazer (4.57), but he is cat-quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfNUlrKPFw0

Interesting... Looks like a Keim pick...

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, My conclusions are that Keim did about as well as could be expected in targeting talent, but that he probably played 'hard line' just enough to lose out on some talent, ie. Bryan Orakpo, who signed instead with LeBueau and Wiz in Tennessee. At this juncture, I am not so sure that they even targeted Wisniewski at Center, waiting instead for Shipley of the Colts. My guess is that Araians had much to do with that signing. I would also surmise that Chip Kelley's shenanigans in Philadelphia led to enough turmoil with running backs that Keim pretty much took himself out the picture, refusing to get into any rushed bidding war caused by the turmoil. Not everything goes as one would choose.

All in all I am pleased with what Keim did accomplish, (as you have so aptly pointed out in your summation of the first week). His selections seem to be carefully considered, and aptly suited to the spots allotted for each.

The real problem now is that the pickings now left are very few and far between. Most targets remaining are definitely lacking in some aspect of their game, ie. Nate Irving, ILB, who is strong against the run, but totally lacking in coverage ability, making him strictly a two down player. Of course that is still a step up from Minter who apparently does neither.

Like you, I believe that Iupati was a very strong signing, (especially for a pocket passing QB corps like Palmer and Stanton). His presence on the O-line will be significant, and could lead to a new and welcome mentality exhibited by our O-line.

Most of the rest of the signings have questions however, as you pointed out with Weatherspoon and his history of injuries. If he can avoid that, then we hit a home run with him. If he can't stay on the field, all we gain is leadership in the locker room and yet another teacher in practice.

I am saddened that we missed out on Orakpo, even though he would have been injury prone like Spoon. Somehow we once again go into the draft without signing a much needed quality edge rusher. Once again the draft is poised to likely have us come up just short of being able to sign a truly effective edge rusher with our first selection.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch, My conclusions are that Keim did about as well as could be expected in targeting talent, but that he probably played 'hard line' just enough to lose out on some talent, ie. Bryan Orakpo, who signed instead with LeBueau and Wiz in Tennessee. At this juncture, I am not so sure that they even targeted Wisniewski at Center, waiting instead for Shipley of the Colts. My guess is that Araians had much to do with that signing. I would also surmise that Chip Kelley's shenanigans in Philadelphia led to enough turmoil with running backs that Keim pretty much took himself out the picture, refusing to get into any rushed bidding war caused by the turmoil. Not everything goes as one would choose.

All in all I am pleased with what Keim did accomplish, (as you have so aptly pointed out in your summation of the first week). His selections seem to be carefully considered, and aptly suited to the spots allotted for each.

The real problem now is that the pickings now left are very few and far between. Most targets remaining are definitely lacking in some aspect of their game, ie. Nate Irving, ILB, who is strong against the run, but totally lacking in coverage ability, making him strictly a two down player. Of course that is still a step up from Minter who apparently does neither.

Like you, I believe that Iupati was a very strong signing, (especially for a pocket passing QB corps like Palmer and Stanton). His presence on the O-line will be significant, and could lead to a new and welcome mentality exhibited by our O-line.

Most of the rest of the signings have questions however, as you pointed out with Weatherspoon and his history of injuries. If he can avoid that, then we hit a home run with him. If he can't stay on the field, all we gain is leadership in the locker room and yet another teacher in practice.
Great summation IMO, especially the first two paragraphs.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I am saddened that we missed out on Orakpo, even though he would have been injury prone like Spoon. Somehow we once again go into the draft without signing a much needed quality edge rusher. Once again the draft is poised to likely have us come up just short of being able to sign a truly effective edge rusher with our first selection.

Outstanding post, Catfish! Love ya, man!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
M

Reminds me of the quest for the Holy Grail. :)

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We still can sign Hardy or Justin Houston but it doesn't look good. I don't know why this is an every year thing but maybe some day we will get some pass rushers.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying we need that speed edge rusher, but over the years our zone gap blitzes have served us very well. I could see us adding someone like Kendricks in the draft, and he'd be just as effective as an edge rusher and can do more things than just a one trick pony. Give me Kendricks Rd. 1 please.

ILB position solved and he has the talent to switch around anywhere they need him to line up, IF DWash can make it back.

BA has said they're going about business as if they're not counting on DW until he proves he's all in.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Tramon Williams. Been hoping for awhile he gets an offer here.