Week 1 2022: Heroes and Goats

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how the last addition from practice squad Devon Kennard played more snaps then any others outside linebackers
Have u ever seen a practice squad player having more snaps then anyone else playing the same position?
Another example of why I was an remain so dubious that our rookie pass rushers a) see the field that much and b) make any impact while they’re out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope they ride out the year with Collins and Simmons. They need to determine if more reps with get these two any better. If it doesn't, you at least have a large sample size next offseason to make some decisions.
Agreed.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I just hope they ride out the year with Collins and Simmons. They need to determine if more reps with get these two any better. If it doesn't, you at least have a large sample size next offseason to make some decisions.
If you’re unhappy with Zaven and Simmons please also note our 2nd and 3rd round picks in the 2022 draft were healthy scratches.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree

I'm concerned with who is coaching them

Bill Davis and VJ probably have them both confused by thinking too much

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Agree

I'm concerned with who is coaching them

Bill Davis and VJ probably have them both confused by thinking too much
Sorry but this makes no sense. You have to think in the NFL - you’re not going to be able to out-athlete anyone.

We need to stop running from the fact that our players probably just suck.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually think Zaven is redeemable. He is pretty fluid in his movements.

Simmons……doesn't. He’s not redeemable at all.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well, there was a record set in yesterday's game, Mahomes became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw at least three touchdown passes in five straight season openers so we have that going for us. The team made the record books.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At this point this defense has not much of a chance in becoming an average unit
I would fire immediately Joseph and Bill Davis
I would play 4-3
Collins wolb Wooten ilb gardeck SOLB
Allen dogbe Watt Thomas

Wooten coming from a strong program, i watched him and he has good instict,s, he can miss some tackles but he knows how to play the position
Vallejo back up
I would cut Vigil and trade Simmons and Moore for cee dee lamb
I would 100% cool with that!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a joke? Of course fumbles can hurt the team, even when you recover. It usually stops all progress in its tracks and wastes a down.

Yea and they can also help the team as much as they hurt seen numerous fumbles that a player recovers bounce ahead 2,3,4, 5 yards etc….. This one in no way hurt the team and it wasn’t lost a big meh. And using to try and make him a goat is silly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree on Zaven. He wasn't bad. He made a few mistakes, but made some good plays as well.

Agree on your heroes.
They were both absolutely terrible. Zaven made a ton of mistakes. He was out of position and shooting the wrong gaps several times. I'll concede though, as Zavens PFF grade as a full 6 points better... it's like choosing between crap with corn in it, or crap with nuts in it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea and they can also help the team as much as they hurt seen numerous fumbles that a player recovers bounce ahead 2,3,4, 5 yards etc….. This one in no way hurt the team and it wasn’t lost a big meh. And using to try and make him a goat is silly.
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Who said anything about making whoever you are talking about a goat? I'm not even sure if you are referring to Kyler or Conner.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that one of your heroes got elevated to that status by playing the third most downs on defense and “wasn’t particularly embarrassing” says everything about yesterday’s game

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think he's just miscast as an ILB.

Remember what Reddick said when he was moved back to OLB? He said OLB is so much easier because he had a whole lot less gaps to read.

Zaven is probably an OLB being forced to play ILB. Despite what keim think, you can't just plug any LB into an ILB spot. There are years of training your eyes that go into learning those spots.
FTFY

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Go look at Kyler’s entire body of work vs Simmons and Zaven and then get back to me.
I know but Kyler is the one who thinks he can out athlete NFL players which is why he puts in the meets expectation level of work. That is why I referenced Kyler because you mentioned players who think they can out athlete other NFL guys.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I brought K9 Jr. to this game. We showed up just in time for the national anthem. Stadium was probably 40% or better KC fans (who were generally well-behaved and better-looking than, like, Packers fans). It's hard to measure the team in this format when you're at the game. That said, hard to say this was much fun. Let's discuss who stood out for good and bad based on ***vibes***:

Heroes
James Conner, RB.
I don't understand the strategy to come out and Let Kyler Cook. It keeps up consistently behind schedule. Connor had a pretty good success rate in the competitive portion of the game. It's not really his fault he didn't get a touch until the score was 14-0.

Zaven Collins, ILB. Played the third-most downs of anyone on the defense and wasn't particularly embarrassing.

Budda Baker, S. He's so slippery attacking the line of scrimmage. He's just a bad matchup against Mahomes.

Goats
Kyler Murray, QB.
The starting offense had 57 snaps. Kyler Murray was involved in 41 of them. On first downs, Kyler was -1 yd rush, Incomplete pass, incomplete pass, aborted snap, Complete pass for 4 yards, 21 yard scramble, complete pass for 3 yards, complete pass for 5 yards, incomplete pass, incomplete pass,[score reaches 36-7] complete pass for 8 yards, complete pass for 4 yards, complete pass for 4 yards, complete pass for 22 yards, incomplete pass. By my count, that's seven of 15 successful first down plays, with more than half of them coming in garbage time. Yuck.

Rashard Lawrence and Leki Fotu, interior line. Both these fat dudes played a majority of defensive downs and were thoroughly dominated. They have to get better up the middle.

Isaiah Simmons, *Backer. Played 61 snaps and had three tackles and no splat plays. Just disgusting.
So Fotu are Lawrence are nobodies, Josh Jones is MIA and Isaiah Simmons hasn’t improved in 2+ years. That draft could rival 2016.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry but this makes no sense. You have to think in the NFL - you’re not going to be able to out-athlete anyone.

We need to stop running from the fact that our players probably just suck.
I felt this might be the reason why Simmons and Collins have not played well. I bet great players think before the snap but do not think just react after the snap relying on their instinct and experiences. Simmons and Collins do not have the instinct to play the positions they have been put at so they aren't able to react but have to think and make decisions, which made them always behind or in the wrong spots. The same goes for Reddick, who does not have the instinct to play ILB either. He plays confused and lost at ILB when he has to think but shined at OLB when he doesn't have to think just react after the ball got snapped.

We probably all underestimate what it takes to play ILB, which definitely not just athleticism. We all saw at ILB postion, slow 40 players play fast and fast 40 players play slow, but we rarely see slow 40 players play fast and fast 40 players play slow at OLB. Just my two cents. For instance, Nick Bolton from the Chiefs had a 4.60 seconds 40 dash at this pro day, but we can all agree that he played way faster than Simmons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose