OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro)
1/14/20, 3:08 PM
The Diamondbacks have traded right-hander Matt Andriese to the Angels for minor league pitcher Jeremy Beasley. Beasley is a right-handed starter, throws around 92-93 mph, split last season between Double-A and Triple-A and does not need to go on the 40-man roster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ever since Michael Beasley I am a Beasley-ist, prejudiced against guys named Beasley.

Therefore, I condemn this trade.

Hazen has had my full confidence until this move, but a BEASLEY?! ... no sir.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good riddance. Never should have traded for him in the first place.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ever since Michael Beasley I am a Beasley-ist, prejudiced against guys named Beasley.

Therefore, I condemn this trade.

Hazen has had my full confidence until this move, but a BEASLEY?! ... no sir.

Funny...I kind of will feel this way about any Andriese in the future...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW, in my mystery 10 projections I posted in the Rondon thread, the one with by far the worst numbers was none other than Matt Andriese.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shocked we got a Top 30 prospect for Andriese. Then again, I am even more shocked that:

Thomas is ranked ahead of Robinson and Carroll;

Beer is ranked ahead of Varsho, Duplantier and Perdomo;

Widener is ranked as high as #13;

Cron is ranked as low as #26;

Young at #23, Leyba at #30 or an unranked Rojas would likely be our opening day starting second baseman, unless Hazen acquires a center fielder or second baseman via trade or free agency in the next month.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Shocked we got a Top 30 prospect for Andriese. Then again, I am even more shocked that:

Thomas is ranked ahead of Robinson and Carroll;

Beer is ranked ahead of Varsho, Duplantier and Perdomo;

Widener is ranked as high as #13;

Cron is ranked as low as #26;

Young at #23, Leyba at #30 or an unranked Rojas would likely be our opening day starting second baseman, unless Hazen acquires a center fielder or second baseman via trade or free agency in the next month.

I trust these rankings more:

https://www.azsnakepit.com/2020/1/2/21041110/michael-mcdermotts-top-30-prospect-list-for-2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I wouldn't rank Varsho over Carroll. I also wouldn't rank Martin as high as 4, Thomas as low as 6, or Duplantier as low as 8.

Otherwise, I could get behind these rankings. Note, with these rankings, if the current roster holds, our opening day starting second baseman will be a prospect ranked #20 in our system, ranked #28 in our system, or ranked outside our Top 30.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wouldn't rank Varsho over Carroll. I also wouldn't rank Martin as high as 4, Thomas as low as 6, or Duplantier as low as 8.

Otherwise, I could get behind these rankings. Note, with these rankings, if the current roster holds, our opening day starting second baseman will be a prospect ranked #20 in our system, ranked #28 in our system, or ranked outside our Top 30.

I would side with Carroll over Varsho because he can be a plus player in every aspect of the game with the exception of power. I think Varsho is probably higher on other teams wish lists because he’s an ETA 20/21’ guy.

Martin is probably high and Thomas maybe dropped a spot or two after struggling in Visalia.

The time to sell on Duplantier was probably two years ago.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would side with Carroll over Varsho because he can be a plus player in every aspect of the game with the exception of power. I think Varsho is probably higher on other teams wish lists because he’s an ETA 20/21’ guy.

Martin is probably high and Thomas maybe dropped a spot or two after struggling in Visalia.

The time to sell on Duplantier was probably two years ago.

Duplantier actually looked fantastic last year...until they started shuffling him back and forth between the starting rotation and the bullpen...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Duplantier is a starter, not a reliever. But every time he was brought up, he sat in the bullpen
and came in on short notice. After being accustomed to a starter's routine.

I hope someone gives him a chance to show what he can do as a starter. The same with Cron.

The way Torey treated both of them is like bringing up prospects for them to change positions
at the Major League level. It makes no sense. If you must have them change positions, try it in
the Minors first.

Better yet, bring them up to do what earned them the callup.

Edit: I saw that you posted the same thing when I got past your earlier post.
Duplaintier's few starts were each a 1-and-done.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Duplantier actually looked fantastic last year...until they started shuffling him back and forth between the starting rotation and the bullpen...

His ERA was pretty lucky. Terrible WHIP and K/BB ratio. It’ll come back to bite him with a larger sample.

And of course he’s injured every year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His ERA was pretty lucky. Terrible WHIP and K/BB ratio. It’ll come back to bite him with a larger sample.

And of course he’s injured every year.
Perhaps he's injured every year because the D-backs constantly take him out of his routine.

A starter in the Minors, then brought up to sit in the bullpen in the Majors, over and over
throughout the season. The same with Cron, as I've posted before. The top slugger in the
Minors, then up and down to sit on the bench for an occasional pinch hitting appearance.

Use them for what they are. And if you don't need that, trade them for what you need.
If you need a reliever, get a reliever. If you need a pinch hitter, get a pinch hitter.

You can't expect a starting pitcher to be an on-and-off reliever. Or a slugger accustomed
to playing every day to come off the bench for a pinch hitting appearance here and there.

Players tend to get into routines. Disrupting those routines can lead to injuries. The same
applies to Torey's multiple position changes each game.

BADD = baseball attention deficit disorder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave