We should trade down

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
We should trade down our top pick so as to get a few picks and build a good team instead of one or two celebrity players.
The Patriots do it well, just smart, motivated teamwork and also great strategy and coaching, but you see.
You put it all on one guy and he busts and you’re screwed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We should trade down our top pick so as to get a few picks and build a good team instead of one or two celebrity players.
The Patriots do it well, just smart, motivated teamwork and also great strategy and coaching, but you see.

The Patriots also never pick in the top 5, that is why they trade down so much difference between a late first round pick and a guy in the middle of the second round isn't that great especially when your roster is pretty much complete every year.

The offer has to literally blow you away, you don't trade down just because you want more picks.

OP
OP
Skipper1111

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
Yeah well putting everything you got into one or two celebrity players is not building a “team” unless they are 100% guaranteed pro bowlers.
Like someone else posted, we need an entirely better offensive line, a receiver and a cornerback...
Oh and a linebacker and a couple defensive linemen.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The Patriots also never pick in the top 5, that is why they trade down so much difference between a late first round pick and a guy in the middle of the second round isn't that great especially when your roster is pretty much complete every year.

The offer has to literally blow you away, you don't trade down just because you want more picks.

The Patriots have a system. Tom Brady and BB...they can coach up anybody and get them to play in their scheme.

That is a huge advantage and we don't have it (most teams don't).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Patriots have a system. Tom Brady and BB...they can coach up anybody and get them to play in their scheme.

The Cardinals need a system.

It would be nice to hire and keep a head coach. Then hopefully build one around Rosen.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Patriots do not draft well we have been over this time and time again on here.

The patriots are good because they have the greatest QB of all time matched with the greatest coach of all time.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let the draft come to us. Plan to take the best player and let the offers flow. In the meantime start a bunch of rumors about who we are going to select. We also have to determine just how far we would move down. If we can move down 3 or 4 spots and get the guy we covet in addition get additional picks, great. However we need an impact player that will contribute from day one. If we trade down and the number 1 pick ends up in the hall of fame we look like snicks.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The thing to look at with the Patriots is, how many players leave them and still be pro bowlers.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let the draft come to us. Plan to take the best player and let the offers flow. In the meantime start a bunch of rumors about who we are going to select. We also have to determine just how far we would move down. If we can move down 3 or 4 spots and get the guy we covet in addition get additional picks, great. However we need an impact player that will contribute from day one. If we trade down and the number 1 pick ends up in the hall of fame we look like snicks.
Agree. Either the "trade-down" or "keep the high value pick" approach has proved successful...except when it hasn't.

It all comes down to knowing your team and its players and looking at reams of tape and write-ups to determine which if any prospect will help your team most.

Some front offices are better at this than others. But it all comes down to pairs of eyes looking at players.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know how one could know that trading down is the best option without knowing parameters. I would trade back one spot for two firsts. I would not trade down to number 5 for a third.

Teams don't generally trade up inside the top 3 unless its for a qb. There aren't many teams in desperate need for a QB either. The farther you move back in draft, the riskier the picks become also. Do you feel more confident in Keim identifying two players with less consensus or 1 player that basically the whole industry views as an elite prospect? I chose the latter!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"celebrity players"

hmm
Were you around when we traded down, didn't take Terrell Suggs and instead got Bryant Johnson and Calvin pace?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is a team that is going to be in need of star power very shortly. Fitz is probably gone. That leaves us PP21, Chandler Jones, and DJ. And PP21 might be gone.

I'm not just saying that for jersey sales, but to draw free agents to play alongside guys they respect. Just picking up bodies is a poor idea that will leave us in a poor situation. Keim hasn't shown that he's capable of picking great players in the later part of the first round.

We should stand pat, take the guy that EVERYONE agrees is #1, and build around that. Not desperately try to fill needs with lesser guys.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The furthest in this draft I would trade down is to 4th with the raiders, also I only do that for their 2 highest 1s this year and their 2 and their 1st next year. This is also only if I have worked out that Q. Williams or Bosa would fall to that position.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Watching more of Oliver and I think he’s right there with Bosa. His motor and hand usage is elite but it didn’t translate to many sacks. I don’t care as he’ll be a wrecking machine regardless of scheme. He also has a better body than Q Williams. To me he looks a lot like Nkemdiche just from a physical aspect.

You must be registered for see images

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Watching more of Oliver and I think he’s right there with Bosa. His motor and hand usage is elite but it didn’t translate to many sacks. I don’t care as he’ll be a wrecking machine regardless of scheme. He also has a better body than Q Williams. To me he looks a lot like Nkemdiche just from a physical aspect.

He’s a beast I’ve watched many of his games! He’s everything Bustdiche isn’t , including desire to be great.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

How does he compare to Bosa and Williams?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose