We need to trade for Phillip Rivers, NOW!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I think a question that must be asked at this point:

Would you trade Matt Leinhart for Phillip Rivers?
Would I shove a glass rod into my urethra and break it?

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Anything good like the number one pick would not happen to the Cardinals, at least not when there is a franchise player available....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Yes, in a heartbeat. Now Matt Leinart without the H, not on your life.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Anything good like the number one pick would not happen to the Cardinals, at least not when there is a franchise player available....
By this reasoning, we'd trade the pick and then earn the #1.

It's lose/lose when you think this way. Wait until you know what your options are and then make the decision.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If you're going to trade a #1, #2, BJ and Pace to the Chargers for Rivers why
trade the same package for the #1 overall pick and take Leinhart. If I'm not
mistaken the G-men gave up less to acquire Manning. Leinhart (barring injury)
is a can't miss QB and will probably be the "great QB". But that is my opinion.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Buckybird said:

next "great QB"

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Here is a thought.

8 playoff years out of 9, or is it out of 10? Green made it to the playoffs with a different QB each year.

Great. What the **** has he done in ARIZONA??

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI ESPN says AJ Smith stated emphatically today that Rivers is not available and rumors he was going to the Jets for Vilma and picks.

Maybe we trade the Jets Mcown for Vilma?

:D

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FYI ESPN says AJ Smith stated emphatically today that Rivers is not available and rumors he was going to the Jets for Vilma and picks.

That's sportswriters trying to make something up. No way a team built around a running game and defense trade their best young defensive player. Makes no sense. it is making your strength weaker.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Thats not what he said in this article. [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]

Would Smith trade Rivers now? "If I would get a phone call, then I would make a determination," he said.

They just said that they have enough room to keep Rivers who is only due 600,000 next year and franchise Breeze again. But, I just don't see what others do in him, I see him as a 50 million dollar Navarre.
[/font]

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Now listen, I am all about getting the number one pick and drafting Matt Lienert. The reason we never have any success is because we don’t have an upper echelon QB. Now a team with no weapons and a bad line might make a good QB look bad, but the one consistent this team has never had is a franchise QB. Like a center in basketball, Franchise QB’s are pretty rare but when you happen upon one, things seem to immediately come together and thusly the most important position in football is covered for ten years.

Its much easier to build a team with a big time QB in place, than to keep band aiding the problem and trying to have your strengths come from else where. Tampa Bay is a good example of a team that if they had that franchise QB, they would have never gone into the three year downward spiral that they are only now getting out of. The defense and running game they had would have been playoff worthy, had they had the proper QB to run Grudens system. Conversely once Griese’s pact with the devil expires (likely next season) they will go back to mediocrity, even with Caddilac.

Ok so this is my point here. This team needs to take the steps necessary to get who ever they have evaluated to be the best prospect at that position. Knowing the Cardinals they will screw something up and we will somehow have to endure this season and STILL fall short of getting the first pick. So they need to take their destiny into their own hands and surprisingly there is a Franchise QB to be had…..

Phillip Rivers has most everything you want in a QB. Word is San Diego would have drafted him over Eli because they liked his arm and leadership qualities that much. Even in current story about Rivers on espn.com, you get the feeling this kid is just chomping at the bit and with his skills that is a very nice combination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2172056

Now that it looks like Warner is out for a while the team must start looking forward to making a run next year. Unfortunatly even with a stud like Matt Lienert, there is likely to be a learning curve that will keep us out of the playoffs yet again next year. So here is what the Cardinals need to do. Assuming they feel the same way about Rivers that most everybody does, they need to make a pre-emptive strike and overwhelm the Chargers with an offer to get him out here. I’m thinking Bryant Johnson, Calvin Pace and a 2007 first round draft pick and a 2006 second rounder would be enough where SD could justify it to their fans, while also improving this years playoff chances. No matter what you think of BJ, he is the second receiver on that team and Pace, while disappointing is an upgrade at defensive end for them as well.

So the Cardinals have Phillip Rivers for like 13 more games, giving him a year to learn Denny’s offense and acquire a rapport with Fitz and Boldin. It gives Denny time (because we are basically starting a back up QB) and I believe Rivers at the helm will be an upgrade over every QB we have had since moving to AZ. Then we have the luxury of spending our 1st pick on a player like Ferguson or Bush and immediately we have a playoff mix brewing. Add a MLB (not signing Hartwell was a HUGE mistake), some more offensive line help, and depending on which of the above two we draft, addressing that concern. Denny will have no excuses with that squad going into a new stadium and if he doesn’t get it done NEXT year then we bring in someone who can.

The key to this offseason lies in getting a QB for the present and future, or otherwise I feel we will be re hashing this scenario for the upcoming seasons until we do……

Thoughts????

I like Rivers and have posted the same thought. I do not think SD had made up their minds yet and probably will not until the end of the year. My guess is they will turn to Rivers at the end of this season. I doubt the Bidwills has the money to pay what Rivers would cost this year. Even if they did they do not seem like people who look into the future. They are more today people and let the future take care of itself. I just hope we are not one step below getting Leinhart but there are no guarantees this organization would draft him if they could. We have passed on some very good QB's. What has changed?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, but I wholeheartedly disagree with what some people (not necissarily you, WC) use it for.

I've read too many times on this board that we shouldn't draft a QB high or spend big money on a FA QB because our line sucks. We need a young(ish) QB that can grow with this young team. Yes, we need to improve the line but that needs to be done concurrently with finding a decent QB. (and this is not to say that I'm a Warner-hater. We need him, too--he's been playing okay this year for us).

This is going to be my mantra until it's taken care of: "Stop F'ing Around With the QB Position."

One major problem is we have never really addressed the position long term. We are spot welding. You got to fix both the QB and Ol problems. Both are required to competed.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Buckybird said:

There is no package that will entice a team to trade the number one pick this year....I even think the 9ers would trade Smith and draft Lienert. He is the best QB prospect in a long time and no one wants to be the GM who traded that guy.....

I know I know the Chargers traded the number one pick when Vick was availiable but at the time, but the sentiment was not full proof that Vick would definitly turn into a great pocket passer turns out that still could be right). NFL loves pocket guys and with Matts resume, ability and intangibles I dont know ho much more you could want at the most important position....

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Now listen, I am all about getting the number one pick and drafting Matt Lienert. The reason we never have any success is because we don’t have an upper echelon QB. Now a team with no weapons and a bad line might make a good QB look bad, but the one consistent this team has never had is a franchise QB. Like a center in basketball, Franchise QB’s are pretty rare but when you happen upon one, things seem to immediately come together and thusly the most important position in football is covered for ten years.

Its much easier to build a team with a big time QB in place, than to keep band aiding the problem and trying to have your strengths come from else where. Tampa Bay is a good example of a team that if they had that franchise QB, they would have never gone into the three year downward spiral that they are only now getting out of. The defense and running game they had would have been playoff worthy, had they had the proper QB to run Grudens system. Conversely once Griese’s pact with the devil expires (likely next season) they will go back to mediocrity, even with Caddilac.

Ok so this is my point here. This team needs to take the steps necessary to get who ever they have evaluated to be the best prospect at that position. Knowing the Cardinals they will screw something up and we will somehow have to endure this season and STILL fall short of getting the first pick. So they need to take their destiny into their own hands and surprisingly there is a Franchise QB to be had…..

Phillip Rivers has most everything you want in a QB. Word is San Diego would have drafted him over Eli because they liked his arm and leadership qualities that much. Even in current story about Rivers on espn.com, you get the feeling this kid is just chomping at the bit and with his skills that is a very nice combination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2172056

Now that it looks like Warner is out for a while the team must start looking forward to making a run next year. Unfortunatly even with a stud like Matt Lienert, there is likely to be a learning curve that will keep us out of the playoffs yet again next year. So here is what the Cardinals need to do. Assuming they feel the same way about Rivers that most everybody does, they need to make a pre-emptive strike and overwhelm the Chargers with an offer to get him out here. I’m thinking Bryant Johnson, Calvin Pace and a 2007 first round draft pick and a 2006 second rounder would be enough where SD could justify it to their fans, while also improving this years playoff chances. No matter what you think of BJ, he is the second receiver on that team and Pace, while disappointing is an upgrade at defensive end for them as well.

So the Cardinals have Phillip Rivers for like 13 more games, giving him a year to learn Denny’s offense and acquire a rapport with Fitz and Boldin. It gives Denny time (because we are basically starting a back up QB) and I believe Rivers at the helm will be an upgrade over every QB we have had since moving to AZ. Then we have the luxury of spending our 1st pick on a player like Ferguson or Bush and immediately we have a playoff mix brewing. Add a MLB (not signing Hartwell was a HUGE mistake), some more offensive line help, and depending on which of the above two we draft, addressing that concern. Denny will have no excuses with that squad going into a new stadium and if he doesn’t get it done NEXT year then we bring in someone who can.

The key to this offseason lies in getting a QB for the present and future, or otherwise I feel we will be re hashing this scenario for the upcoming seasons until we do……

Thoughts????

Interesting you should post this as on the wire today San Diego traded for a QB. Unless they plan on trading Rivers why would they do that? They know we have a high draft choice and it is not totally out of the question that we could do that. I can dream anyway.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
A couple of things that will spoil your idea. It wont happen during this season, maybe in the offseason but not during the season.

1. SD doesnt have the cap space right now to absorb the rest of Rivers signing bonus. They will in the offseason though.

2. What happens if Brees goes down. They are stuck in the mud without a backup. They are not trading Rivers right now.

3. Brees is a FA after this season. They trade Rivers now they may end up without Brees or Rivers next year. They can tag Brees again to make sure but I doubt they want to tie up 10 mill of their cap space in doing so.

The Chargers just traded for a QB so?????????

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
The Chargers just traded for a QB so?????????

Smart move by the Chargers. Sending a clear signal that either Brees or Rivers are trade bait. I don't want Brees but I'd give 2 #1s for Rivers if we don't end up with one of the top three picks this year.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
If Rivers was all that he'd be playing right now. I smell something funny with the Chargers trading for another QB.

I say no to trading for him.