We have the worst potential head coaching position? (ESPN)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh are the Browns no longer part of the NFL?

That's just stupid

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We are a bad situation for a new coach.

The division has McVay/Goff, Shanahan/Garappolo/, Carroll/Wilson.

The NFC is more competitive than the AFC.

Bad offensive line.

No QB.

No top 5 draft pick. (have to give up a ton to trade up to get a QB)

A couple bad contracts.

2nd best offensive weapon is likely to retire in a year.

Best offensive weapon is a RB coming off an injury.

Very little cheap talent.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The current situation needs a Marty Schottenheimer (support to him right now). A guy that enjoys building a team from the ground up.

There is talent on this roster but there is a need for QB, WR, and a host of other positions. To some this is a horrible job, to others it is exactly what they are looking for.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oh are the Browns no longer part of the NFL?

That's just stupid
Browns are a much better spot

Two high draft picks.

Low expectations.

Decent offensive line.

3 young offensive playmakers in CoCo, Gordon and Njoku.

Decent run defense.

Conference with Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco and a possibly retiring Roethlisberger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nothing written in that article regarding the ranking for the cards is written no other than veldheer and iupati not working out. They did. They just didn’t continue to do so.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We are a bad situation for a new coach.

The division has McVay/Goff, Shanahan/Garappolo/, Carroll/Wilson.

The NFC is more competitive than the AFC.

Bad offensive line.

No QB.

No top 5 draft pick. (have to give up a ton to trade up to get a QB)

A couple bad contracts.

2nd best offensive weapon is likely to retire in a year.

Best offensive weapon is a RB coming off an injury.

Very little cheap talent.
Totally agree!

Don't forget the oldest roster & staff in the NFL.

If I'm Michael I sit down BA, Moore, Pratt how long are they interested in coaching immediately after this season! Then make a decision based off that & go forward with or without them. If they can't commit or give an honest answer I make the hard choice & move on & thank them for their work.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
If that's the case...that must mean SK is doing a fantastic job, and not doing his job!

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
The Browns have a bevy of draft picks and a potentially elite defense. Plus, if Josh Gordon can keep his head on straight, he's still only 26 years old.

I bet Hue Jackson was saying the same thing two years ago when they had a bunch of draft picks (24 overall in the 2016 and 2017 drafts with 8 in the top 65 selections) and some talent to work with on defense and now hes 1-28. The Browns job is the worst by far because no new coach is going to get more than a couple of years to turn it around (Mike Pettine even had a 7 win season and only got two years), they have a losing culture, and the worst ownership in the NFL. Though the hiring of John Dorsey might give a new coach a chance admittedly since he is a decent GM who might actually be able to do something with those draft picks.

As far as the Cardinals job I remember rankings after 2012 saying that the Cardinals job was the worst opening and then Arians came in and ripped off 34 wins in three years. There's talent to work with on both sides of the ball even if their is no doubt that some rebuilding/reloading needs to be done. Definitely not the best opening in the NFL (were it to open) but certainly not the worst.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lmao I honestly can't believe people on this board think the Browns are in a better position going foward wow.

How many times have the Browns picked in the top ten the last 17-18 years? What like every year. How many times have they had a ton of picks?

Guess what they still can't develop talent

they still can't draft well

they still have a horrible owner

They still are cheap.

Well uh potentially lol yeah let me know when potential turns into reality for the Browns.

And what on gods green earth makes you think Josh Gordon can keep his head on straight. Smh

New Cardinal fans go figure

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Browns has some talented pieces plus a much younger roster
So on paper they have better prospects
especially if they can select the right qb with the first pick

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think you all are excluding one important thing: History and devoted fan base. AZ Cards are nothing more than that "other team" that gets mentioned as part of the NFL every now and then. There is no real excitement among the respected coaches at the thought of coming here to die an obscure death in the desert. We will always get as coaches either the old guy who has always been passed over who longs for just one shot as a head coach before he dies, the recycled guy who peaked 2 decades ago and still yearns to be top dog, or a young ambitious up and comer that gets in over his head when offered the job a couple years too early in his career and who lacks enough experience to be ready for the task at hand.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We are in less trouble than the pundits put us, just an good ST coordinator and DC would show that this team is way better than you think ...

The rest will be seen. Fitz could still be here in 2020 or hit the wall this year, who knows.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you all are excluding one important thing: History and devoted fan base. AZ Cards are nothing more than that "other team" that gets mentioned as part of the NFL every now and then. There is no real excitement among the respected coaches at the thought of coming here to die an obscure death in the desert. We will always get as coaches either the old guy who has always been passed over who longs for just one shot as a head coach before he dies, the recycled guy who peaked 2 decades ago and still yearns to be top dog, or a young ambitious up and comer that gets in over his head when offered the job a couple years too early in his career and who lacks enough experience to be ready for the task at hand.
There are only 32 jobs, and the Cards are a pretty stable franchise now with a top notch Stadium and training facility and an owner that invests money to win.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
There are only 32 jobs, and the Cards are a pretty stable franchise now with a top notch Stadium and training facility and an owner that invests money to win.

the last 10 years has proven to Cards fans that ownership matters

i dont care about more draft picks. or a younger defense, etc: they are owned by Jimmy Haslem, who has proven to be a terrible owner

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The Browns have a bevy of draft picks and a potentially elite defense. Plus, if Josh Gordon can keep his head on straight, he's still only 26 years old.
It's just silly how much young talent the browns can add if they draft well this year.. I was playing around with them in a mock draft simulator and drafted Rosen, Saquon Barkley and James Washington with the first 3 picks.. that is rebuilding the offensive skill positions right there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder

Wilson a 3rd rounder

Dak Prescott 4th round

Cousins 4th round

Is it just pure luck when teams find QB's
Or are we that terrible at evaluating the position? (regardless of round)

I think with the exception of Luck... We could have had almost any QB playing in the league right now... Be it from drafting them when they fell to us, or making an aggressive move up to grab them... This team just seems content with scraps... When we drafted THE LEENART... I was thrilled... We finally drafted a franchise QB!!!!!...... :thud:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think what the article is implying that any coach who comes in here might be a sacrificial lamb. Think Pete McCannin of the Phillies. Same situation. Taking over a team with a swath of young talent in the minors who's MLB team is so devoid of talent that Casey Stengal in his prime couldn't do anything with it. Same here. This team has an aging core and with the dropped balls in the draft, there's a lot of work to do here before we can be competitive again. We have no QB prospect to choose from and with each win, the top prospects of the draft go further and further from our reach. We have absolutely no offensive line, a weak LB corp, a WR corp who's top guy will be going into his 15th season next year, mediocre TE's, etc. The only thing we have is a top notch RB who got hurt in the first half of the first game and is going into next season as rusty as the belly of the Titanic. The only person who might take this job if Arians goes will either be one of the coordinators, a young coach looking to make a name for himself, or a past coach who didn't do well and is looking for another chance. None of the top coaching prospects will have nothing to do with this team.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder

Wilson a 3rd rounder

Dak Prescott 4th round

Cousins 4th round

Is it just pure luck when teams find QB's
Or are we that terrible at evaluating the position? (regardless of round)

I think with the exception of Luck... We could have had almost any QB playing in the league right now... Be it from drafting them when they fell to us, or making an aggressive move up to grab them... This team just seems content with scraps... When we drafted THE LEENART... I was thrilled... We finally drafted a franchise QB!!!!!...... :thud:
Garappolo has proven nothing
Wilson is good but not great and relies on his legs too much.
Prescott is showing that he needs Elliott in order to be effective but the jury is still out on him.
Cousins is mediocre at best.

Now to answer your question, the answer is yes to both. Teams get lucky. Brady, Warner, Romo, are hall of famers or who have put up hall of fame numbers who were either drafted late or not drafted at all. Then you have high draft picks who looked like world beaters in college who were drafted high but who were bums in the NFL(Vince Young, David Klingler, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell). As for us, yes Leenart was a bust but he started out with promise. Whiz literally killed this kid's career.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Garappolo has proven nothing
Wilson is good but not great and relies on his legs too much.
Prescott is showing that he needs Elliott in order to be effective but the jury is still out on him.
Cousins is mediocre at best.

Now to answer your question, the answer is yes to both. Teams get lucky. Brady, Warner, Romo, are hall of famers or who have put up hall of fame numbers who were either drafted late or not drafted at all. Then you have high draft picks who looked like world beaters in college who were drafted high but who were bums in the NFL(Vince Young, David Klingler, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell). As for us, yes Leenart was a bust but he started out with promise. Whiz literally killed this kid's career.

Personally, I think most of the higher drafted failures can attribute that to coaching , wrong fit, and/or rushing them into action. The evaluation process and early training process for qbs seems to be horrific in the nfl. Someone needs to start thinking outside the box and totally redesign the process teams have been failing with for decades now. They seem so out of line with the 21st century, especially compared with other business models. Maybe the old GMs that seem to get recycled between teams are simply playing with an old worn out deck.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Browns has some talented pieces plus a much younger roster
So on paper they have better prospects
especially if they can select the right qb with the first pick
In the case of the Browns, that’s a massive “if.” Their drafts of the last 15 years or so have been so poor that I find myself thinking “Who???” whenever I see a list of their draftees. P.S. - Barnwell has rarely written highly of the Cards, he usually trashes them even when they’re doing well.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lmao I honestly can't believe people on this board think the Browns are in a better position going foward wow.

How many times have the Browns picked in the top ten the last 17-18 years? What like every year. How many times have they had a ton of picks?

Guess what they still can't develop talent

they still can't draft well

they still have a horrible owner

They still are cheap.

Well uh potentially lol yeah let me know when potential turns into reality for the Browns.

And what on gods green earth makes you think Josh Gordon can keep his head on straight. Smh

New Cardinal fans go figure

So, do the Cards then lose all arguments because we have the longest championship drought in all professional sports?

What talent have we developed?

We don't always draft well.

I think you are confusing which place is the better situation with which place has the best likelihood of succeeding. The Browns have a better opportunity to improve, but the Cardinals have shown that they are more likely to improve.

Again...

Better draft picks = edge Browns
Better young talent = edge Browns
Better offensive line = edge Browns
Easier division = edge Browns
Easier conference = edge Browns
Lower expectations = edge Browns

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member