Wayyyy OT: COVID Vaccine experience

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
As an active duty member I had an opportunity to be a bit of a Guinea pig in early December for the Moderna vaccine.

When I showed up to the Navy clinic we received about a 15 minute "briefing" on what the vaccine did/did not do, whom could get it, and what the reactions would likely be. Also, we were asked to report any effects from the shot as the CDC was building its database via a mobile app.

In Summary:
- The vaccine does not "prevent" COVID, but with a 95% efficacy rate it greatly increases your body's resistance to it. Essentially your immune system is prepped to overcome COVID and eliminate it as soon as it enters your system. Worst case you may get symptoms, but it will likely not progress to the point where it is lethal. Best case, you never even get symptoms.
- Moderna was a 2 part series, 1 vaccination, wait 28 days and then the other
- Once complete you get a CDC issued "vaccination" card that may be required for international travel (so don't lose it).
- Not tested on kids under the age of 18...at least not conclusively, and not likely to be tested on them for a while. So kids won't get it, yet.
- The effects I experienced were very mild fever and soreness in the shot area. Both of these symptoms were gone within 48 hours. I typically have pretty sever reactions to immunizations (flu shots kick my butt), but this was mild, other than the soreness in the shot area.

It's been over 2 months now and everything is good. I still socially distance and wear the mask, because I could be a carrier for a period of time (after an exposure) even though I am asymptomatic. But it feels pretty good to have some extra security for my health.

All told the experience was simple and I feel great. Hopefully you all have a similar experience.

Count down to USA "herd immunity" - 9-10 months???

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I had my first shot last week (Moderna). No side effects for me with the first shot--I hear that the second one is where most people have any issues at all(even if mild).

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I had my 1st shot of the Moderna this past Sun. I felt fine the rest of Sun, though my arm was sore as hell yesterday (Mon), and I felt really space headed last evening, though I feel fine today. I'm sure whatever I felt last evening was mostly (if not all) in my head. I get my 2nd shot on March 14th, and will certainly employ the various suggestions I've seen posted here (moving my arm more, drinking lots of water, etc).

All in all I feel pretty darn fortunate to have gotten the 1st shot, as the process here in NJ is pretty chaotic. My wife got us the appts at a CVS store about 5 miles away last Thurs when CVS opened up registration (the slots filled up in about an hour), and compared it to trying to get Springsteen tickets to a Jersey or Philly show back in '99-'00 during the reunion tour (i.e. extremely difficult & frustrating & anxiety causing).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
All in all I feel pretty darn fortunate to have gotten the 1st shot, as the process here in NJ is pretty chaotic. My wife got us the appts at a CVS store about 5 miles away last Thurs when CVS opened up registration (the slots filled up in about an hour), and compared it to trying to get Springsteen tickets to a Jersey or Philly show back in '99-'00 during the reunion tour (i.e. extremely difficult & frustrating & anxiety causing).

I was able to make my appt through work--they were giving the shots at a convention center and the whole operation was run by the National Guard. I have to say they did an exceptional job too, very streamlined process. I had to go on a website ahead of time, put in my information & answer some basic medical questions and then print a "ticket" with a barcode on it and bring it with me. They scanned my barcode with a tablet, verified my online answers, checked my ID and before I knew it I was sitting in a chair getting my shot. The longest part was the 15 minute observation period afterwards.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd guess we reach herd immunity well before 9-10 months. AZ has already vaccinated over a million people with their first dose.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have had one Moderna shot, and get my second in 10 days. Similar side effects to you on the first one, my arm was very sore for 2 days. I usually have no reaction to flu shots.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I received my first shot of Pfizer at the drive through facilities at the Cardinal's stadium parking lot. It was extremely well organized and all the people were polite and very efficient. It seemed that the 15 minute observation period was the longest wait. They scheduled me for the 2nd shot on March 4th.

My wife is 64 1/2 and has had type 1 diabetes for 53 years. We were hoping she could get her shot but she was unable to. They do ask the question online about high risk medical conditions and we answered it "yes" but we could not schedule her online. I called and they said that phase is not open yet.

I barely felt the shot and no side effects.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received my first shot of Pfizer at the drive through facilities at the Cardinal's stadium parking lot. It was extremely well organized and all the people were polite and very efficient. It seemed that the 15 minute observation period was the longest wait. They scheduled me for the 2nd shot on March 4th.

My wife is 64 1/2 and has had type 1 diabetes for 53 years. We were hoping she could get her shot but she was unable to. They do ask the question online about high risk medical conditions and we answered it "yes" but we could not schedule her online. I called and they said that phase is not open yet.

I barely felt the shot and no side effects.
That is too bad about your wife.

I was able to get the first dose of Moderna via my doctor - they allowed me to get it since I work in a physician's office.

Of course I got COVID anyways (likely had it before the shot) but will still get the second shot in a couple weeks.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Moderna 1st shot - fine. A little tired, mild pain at site of injection

Moderna 2nd shot - chills, aches, pain at site of injection, exhaustion and loss of appetite for 24 hours.

When your number is called, go get it. Let’s get out of this hell.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and got Pfizer at an Honor Health facility in north Phoenix. First shot was fine -- just some soreness in the injection area.

Second shot last Friday absolutely destroyed her for 36 hours. Made it halfway through her work day and was puking in a garbage can. Came home and was asleep/throwing up for the next 12 hours. Then sore/sleepy for all of Saturday. Sunday she was 80% and able to get up and do some stuff.

She's glad she got the shot -- I'm doing all I can to get vaccinated as well -- but when you're planning for the second shot, plan to take the next couple days off. Better safe than sorry.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my arm hurt the next day on Phase 1. Phase 2 is on the 6th of March

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as the herd immunity comments....my understanding as this is more like a flu with annual shots and there is no herd immunity, only herd protection that expires

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m getting my first shot tomorrow. Passport Health has a pop-up clinic at Scottsdale 101. Moderna shot for ages 65 plus.

I had a doctor appointment today so I had a chance to talk with her about the vaccine. She said she had very few patients who became ill, but her own sister was sick for a few days after her second jab.

Doc recommended that I drink a lot of fluid today and stay well-hydrated for a couple of days after the injection. So I’m doing that. I’m very grateful to have gotten a spot at the pop-up. Getting it a week earlier than I’d planned and I won’t have to make the drive down to State Farm Stadium.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m getting my first shot tomorrow. Passport Health has a pop-up clinic at Scottsdale 101. Moderna shot for ages 65 plus.

I had a doctor appointment today so I had a chance to talk with her about the vaccine. She said she had very few patients who became ill, but her own sister was sick for a few days after her second jab.

Doc recommended that I drink a lot of fluid today and stay well-hydrated for a couple of days after the injection. So I’m doing that. I’m very grateful to have gotten a spot at the pop-up. Getting it a week earlier than I’d planned and I won’t have to make the drive down to State Farm Stadium.

really happy to know you got this figured out and a week early to boot!

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My mother runs a small hospital and she took the moderna vax. No symptoms on the first but the second after the second round said she had every coronavirus symptom except the respitory symptoms and the fever I don’t believe went over 99. She said the odd thing was she was sick for almost exactly 24 hours. She’s in her 60s and hasn’t had any ill effects since. She does feel like the side effects / illness she experienced were too severe for my grandfather, who is turning 99 this spring so he is going to keep up his routine he has had since the beginning of the pandemic.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Got my 1st Moderna at the VA a week ago. Only side effect was a slightly sore shoulder. My understanding is that the 2nd will make you ill. My daughter is a nurse anesthetist and the 2nd one made her sick for 24 hours.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and got Pfizer at an Honor Health facility in north Phoenix. First shot was fine -- just some soreness in the injection area.

Second shot last Friday absolutely destroyed her for 36 hours. Made it halfway through her work day and was puking in a garbage can. Came home and was asleep/throwing up for the next 12 hours. Then sore/sleepy for all of Saturday. Sunday she was 80% and able to get up and do some stuff.

She's glad she got the shot -- I'm doing all I can to get vaccinated as well -- but when you're planning for the second shot, plan to take the next couple days off. Better safe than sorry.
I’ve heard the 2nd shot is the bad one and know people that have had similar reactions.
Still worth it in my book.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've had both shots. Had a sore arm with the first one, but not a big deal. About 18 hours after my second shot I felt like I had a mild case of the flu for about 10 hours. All-in-all was much less painful than the fact that I just realized I have a picture of Beanie Wells as my avatar.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
That is too bad about your wife.

I was able to get the first dose of Moderna via my doctor - they allowed me to get it since I work in a physician's office.

Of course I got COVID anyways (likely had it before the shot) but will still get the second shot in a couple weeks.
Thanks Jon. I am over 65 and she is 64 1/2 with type 1 diabetes so according to our Doctor she is a much higher risk than me. I even tried to let her have my spot but they said I could not do that. Good luck on the second shot.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Got my first Moderna shot last month at my work and had a sore arm and a headache there next day. I go in for the 2nd shot on Thursday the 18th. almost everyone I work with has been sick for 24 hours after the 2nd.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Go for my Second shot of Pfizer next Wednesday out at State Farm Stadium.
Was incredibly impressed with the operation out there during the first shot.
Keep hearing some, thought not all who get the second shot come down with flu-like symptoms. Hoping the worst is a sore arm, but if it’s worse than that, so be it...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colorado has been painfully slow as over 300k vaccines has been redistributed. We don't expect to see our general public vaccines available until the summer. ;(