Watching ASU vs UofA

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
replay on FCS Pacific.. Ike is 5x the player Frye is. Talk about great hands, this guy would have no problem playing with Nash. He can really finish his shots also, not the same way that Amare does, but he will get to the line alot.. I hope he falls to the Suns + the Suns wanting him....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devision said:
replay on FCS Pacific.. Ike is 5x the player Frye is. Talk about great hands, this guy would have no problem playing with Nash. He can really finish his shots also, not the same way that Amare does, but he will get to the line alot.. I hope he falls to the Suns + the Suns wanting him....

thanks for the heads up. This is the one where Salim kills us at the end, isn't it? He does have some of the best hands I've ever seen. With him and Amare as targets Nash could just chuck the ball into the frontcourt and one of them would get it.

I think he's going to New Jersey.

Joe Mama

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
thanks for the heads up. This is the one where Salim kills us at the end, isn't it? He does have some of the best hands I've ever seen. With him and Amare as targets Nash could just chuck the ball into the frontcourt and one of them would get it.

I think he's going to New Jersey.

Joe Mama

Some mocks I've seen don't even have him. I saw one in Sports Illustrated with him not even in the mock. (Maybe it was before he declared "Officially").

If NJ does want him at the 15th pick, could we possibly trade up?

I'm a huge Ike fan and would love to see him picked by the Suns. I'd be willing to package Barbosa with our pick to move up and get him. He's going to be a hell of a ballplayer.

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched it. Great game. I talked about this game couple weeks ago when people were discussing Fry and Ike. Ike blocked couple of times from the weak side too. Definetely outplayed him but its only one game I guess. You can't base everything off of that one game.
Thanks for the heads up.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Diogu was better, but the thinking I'd guess is that most feel Frye translates into a better pro. As a UofA guy, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you Channing Fry's college career was better than Ike's, because frankly, it wasn't. But as of now it's about how will they fair in the NBA, and I figure most like Channing's height as well as his jumper.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the season ended, Frye spent a lot of time with weight training and the like to prepare for the team tryouts. He was quite well aware that his reputation for being "soft" would cost him millions and he did something about it. He won't be a power guy, but he won't be a Jared Jeffries either.

BTW, I thought Frye would be a good fit for a running team since the Wildcats ran. He's a good shot, passes the ball well, and runs the floor. All of this will wasted if he ends up on the Knicks. :shrug:

None the less, the reason Ike has such strong support in the Phoenix area is that he has been extremely producitve and is tough as nails. He's not a picture perfect player, but he's a guy you know will produce.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devision said:

Nice Avatar Devision. :thumbup:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devision said:
Can't wait until October!:D

Me either. Best news is it looks like they will be touring in Denver since I am moving there in December.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Devision said:
Funny how you neglect to mention any of their previous matchups where Frye easily got the best of Ike. I'm not completely sold on Frye as seemingly every GM in the league seems to be, but I'd take him over Ike in a heartbeat if both were available just because Channing's upside is through the roof and his defense is NBA ready.

Last edited:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Funny how you neglect to mention any of their previous matchups where Frye easily got the best of Ike. I'm not completely sold on Frye as seemingly every GM in the league seems to be, but I'd take him over Ike in a heartbeat if both were available just because Channing's upside is through the roof and his defense is NBA ready.
LOL, you UofA homers amaze me. Frye never got the best of Ike..because Frye never played Ike straight up...it was always 2 or 3 Cats on him at a time. Whereas Frye was played straight up.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frye is going to be a colossal bust. Easily the worst pick in the lottery. People talk about Diogu having a limited upside...at least he has an upside.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Frye is going to be a colossal bust. Easily the worst pick in the lottery. People talk about Diogu having a limited upside...at least he has an upside.

Frye will not be a "bust" on the right team, but he won't be the centerpoint of a team either. His virtues could really help some teams:

Very good hands
Good passer
Nice mid range shot
Good rebounder
Blocks shots

Frye's problems are generally related to the fact that he was not very strong. I doubt he is seriously strong now, but he's better. He should be able to contribute and maybe even start on some teams. I don't expect big things from him, but he's got good fundimenals and no obvious temperment issues.

That being said, I don't think he is worth a top ten pick.

rickrude

Reaction score
Sure U of A covered Ike with many guys, thats what you do to good players, that is what good coaches have their players do to limit touches and scoring opportunities. If ASU had a clue they would have double or triple teamed Channing. With the exception of 1 game, he pretty much went for 20 and 10 every time he played ASU and Ike. I like both players, but how much you guys like to bash Frye bothers me. He will be a pretty good player, and he is a Phoenix product, so we should all wish him well.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
rickrude said:
Sure U of A covered Ike with many guys, thats what you do to good players, that is what good coaches have their players do to limit touches and scoring opportunities. If ASU had a clue they would have double or triple teamed Channing. With the exception of 1 game, he pretty much went for 20 and 10 every time he played ASU and Ike. I like both players, but how much you guys like to bash Frye bothers me. He will be a pretty good player, and he is a Phoenix product, so we should all wish him well.

Don't kid yourself. Frye was a decent college player, but he definitely didn't live up to what he should have done.

ASU couldn't run two or three guys at Frye. Know why? They had a real team..... It has absolutely nothing to do with having a clue.

Teams trippled Ike because no one else on the team was worth a damn.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Don't kid yourself. Frye was a decent college player, but he definitely didn't live up to what he should have done.

ASU couldn't run two or three guys at Frye. Know why? They had a real team..... It has absolutely nothing to do with having a clue.

Teams trippled Ike because no one else on the team was worth a damn.

Amen. It would make no sense to double and triple team Channing Frye every time because most of his teammates were better than him. Ike was consistently double and triple teamed even before he received the ball. I don't mean they had three guys all client down on Ike, but they did crowd his corner of the court denying him the ball. As soon as he had the ball most of the defense would collapse on him. I don't think there was another player in the country who got as much attention from opposing defenses as Ike Diogu.

I don't think Channing Frye will be a "colossal bust", but I think he's going to disappoint anybody who expects him to be a star. I was going to compare him to Jason Collins, but Collins is tougher. Channing Frye is better on offense. He could be an average to good middleman in the NBA, but those players are at a premium right now. If he was there at #21 I think the Phoenix Suns would take him in a heartbeat though, and there's no doubt in my mind they would pass on Diogu to do it.

Joe Mama

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
First, Frye did outplay Ike in about half of the games they played against each other including Ike's freshman year when he had actually had a decent supporting cast. Not admitting such is pretty ignorant but it is ASU basketball fans we're talking about so asking them about college baketball is like asking Rod Graves for draft-day trade advice.

Scond, the notion that Frye and no upside and didn't live up to what he should have done could be some of the dumbest, most misinformed statements I have ever read. When Frye got to college he was a largely ignored recruit who was really only big, anyone who saw him pay in high school could tell you that. He started his career as a backup to Isiah Fox and Dennis Latimore for God's sake. He couldn't catch a cold and it looked like he was going to trip over himself every time he ran down the court. His offense was non-existent and he played defense way out of control. Fast forward four years later he was a legit center who was one of the best post players in the country with some pretty good range and who played solid D. This is why NBA GMs are in love with Frye. They look at how much he improved with the restraints of college coaching and think with 24/7 NBA coaching that his improvement could go through the roof.

Anyways, I really don't have to prove any point because Frye is seemingly a lock for Top 10 and the Suns will have no chance to draft him even if they did like him. Like George I don't think he's Top 10 worthy because I think that's the area where you should be looking for a superstar and Frye will never be such (I think a poor man's Jamaal Magloire), but it's not like Ike is ever going to be a superstar in the NBA. Diogu's a great player and I'd love to have him on the Suns for his rebounding, but he is very overrated in the Phoenix area by ASU fans just as Super Mario and Brick House were. He's an undersized power forward that can't play defense who's showed underwhelming improvement and sometimes questionable desire in college (can both be blamed partially on Evans IMO), not the next coming of Sir Charles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
First, Frye did outplay Ike in about half of the games they played against each other including Ike's freshman year .

Do you think you could come up with some numbers? I can't think of any game where Ike was out played when they played. Oh and I guess all of the people who vote for Pac10 player of the year live in Phoenix?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Devision said:
Do you think you could come up with some numbers? I can't think of any game where Ike was out played when they played. Oh and I guess all of the people who vote for Pac10 player of the year live in Phoenix?
Try Ike's freshman year when they played in Tempe. I was there and Frye owned Diogu on both ends of the court. This last year Ike held the advantage but in 2003-2004 I remember Frye having outstanding games against Ike. And when did I ever say Diogu wasn't the best player in the Pac last season?

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Try Ike's freshman year when they played in Tempe. I was there and Frye owned Diogu on both ends of the court. This last year Ike held the advantage but in 2003-2004 I remember Frye having outstanding games against Ike. And when did I ever say Diogu wasn't the best player in the Pac last season?

I'd still like to see some stats, because I don't recall him getting owned...as you put it.

But what it sounds like you are saying is there is no doubt Ike is the much better player now....and has developed and grown, whereas Frye has stayed pretty much the same. Interesting.

OP
OP
D

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Game 1 in Tuscum

Ike 15pts 4rbs 2blk

Frye 13pts 5rbs 1blk

Game 2 Tempe

Ike 15 - 10 - 0

Frye 23 - 10 - 4

I don't call that owned since Ike was a frosh and Frye was a soph and the fact UA was ranked #1 at the time.....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
But what it sounds like you are saying is there is no doubt Ike is the much better player now....and has developed and grown, whereas Frye has stayed pretty much the same. Interesting.
Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. Ike has gotten slightly better throughout college but keep in mind he came into college way more advanced than Frye. Ike was dominant now just as he was dominant when he first came to college. Channing now compared to Channing three or four years ago is like watching a whole different player. And who the better college player was has little to do with NBA potential.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Devision said:
Game 1 in Tuscum

Ike 15pts 4rbs 2blk

Frye 13pts 5rbs 1blk

Game 2 Tempe

Ike 15 - 10 - 0

Frye 23 - 10 - 4

I don't call that owned since Ike was a frosh and Frye was a soph and the fact UA was ranked #1 at the time.....
I really don't have to argue my opinion anymore because it's fairly obvious you didn't see the games in question. Every GM and personnel guy (including the Suns) around the league knows who they'd rather have and Frye's ascension to the lottery combined with Diogu's fall proves my point. But you ASU homers who probably have only watched less than 10 games played by Frye and Diogu know more. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I really don't have to argue my opinion anymore because it's fairly obvious you didn't see the games in question. Every GM and personnel guy (including the Suns) around the league knows who they'd rather have and Frye's ascension to the lottery combined with Diogu's fall proves my point. But you ASU homers who probably have only watched less than 10 games played by Frye and Diogu know more. :rolleyes:

Sorry but you are confusing every GM in the league with Isaiah Thomas (nuff said) Frye will be exposed just as your other cant miss center Woods.. Talk about homers, according to UA fans Ike is to short but S. Stoudemire isn't?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose