Waste Management Open 2015

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to the WM open this year? Read that Tiger may/will be playing finally. In the past I have gone with general admission, Greenskeeper passes and last year the wife got me 16th hole Skybox tix. By far the 16th hole is the place to be, but comes with a hefty price tag. It has been taken over by corporate and depending on the day, tickets are over 1k each! Then the Bird Nest gets crazy. Good ole Kid Rock and Hootie will be performing.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This will be my 13th consecutive trip to the Phoenix Open! I absolutely love it. This year was going to be nuts (they all are really) with the Super Bowl in town... Now, toss in Tiger? If he makes the cut and is playing on the weekend, I can't imagine what Saturday will be like... Could easily push 250,000 in attendance just on that one day! I think last year the Saturday attendance was around 180,000...

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be my 13th consecutive trip to the Phoenix Open! I absolutely love it. This year was going to be nuts (they all are really) with the Super Bowl in town... Now, toss in Tiger? If he makes the cut and is playing on the weekend, I can't imagine what Saturday will be like... Could easily push 250,000 in attendance just on that one day! I think last year the Saturday attendance was around 180,000...

No question about the numbers if Tiger plays and makes the cut. I just hope no one does anything stupid that keeps him from coming back. Even though he is no where near the player he once was, his presence makes the game way more exciting. Maybe he is healthy again and we can get the old Tiger back!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's definitely gonna be crazy with Tiger. I can't wait!

this will be my fourth year, I think? We always just get general admission and move around to watch the different golfers. Always have to go on a Saturday since I am a teacher. The drunks get absolutely ridiculous by about lunchtime.

Still, it is an awesome time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been. Would like to go, especially if Tiger is there....

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could see this being the record breaking year with Tiger playing and the super bowl. Huge revenue maker for the PGA and for Phoenix. Good stuff.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Could see this being the record breaking year with Tiger playing and the super bowl. Huge revenue maker for the PGA and for Phoenix. Good stuff.

The Open has set records for the past 4 consecutive years! It's the only Tiger-proof event on the PGA tour!

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, went the open today and it was nice to see Tiger back out there. We had Greenskeeper passes, but wanted to see Tiger up close. So we went to 8 green and was there about 3-4 groups ahead of him. It was like a stirred up ant pile when he came to the 8th hole. Thousands of people following him and not too many empty spaces in the gallery on the entire hole. He ended up paring the hole, but he just didn't look happy. I heard that people were heckling him, but I didn't hear it when he was around us. He was +4 when he got to 8, but finished the day +2. Sure hope he makes the cut because is just a different atmosphere when he is out there. I am going back out there tomorrow and hope they get to play golf. Not looking too good though.

BUT.....

Besides the golf, there was the coolest thing I have seen. Not sure if anyone else has seen or done this, but as we were leaving there were about 20 or so police officers outside the exit with breathalyzers. Not giving tickets to anyone, it was to make sure everyone knew if they were over the legal limit to drive. This was optional for people and I thought it was the greatest idea ever. When you went up to the officers, one had a survey paper and he asked "do you believe that you would be able to drive in your current state of mind?" Then they would mark yes or no. Then the other officer would have you blow into the machine. Once the number came up, he would give it to the officer to write down. It was almost like a survey, plus it allowed people that were unclear if they were able to drive know. The officers were having a great time with this and so was everyone else. I would be all in favor of this set up after big events (football games, etc) to make sure that people knew if they were ok to drive.

In case you were wondering, I was at a .015 and the wife was at .013. :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Tiger goes into the back 9, day 2....

If he gets hot he might be able to pass Troy Kelly for 130th place.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just doubled another hole to go to +12 and in dead last place... Amazing...

I calculate that if he can Eagle the last five holes of the round he can maybe crack the top 100 of this tournament.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I calculate that if he can Eagle the last five holes of the round he can maybe crack the top 100 of this tournament.

His fall from grace has to rank at the very top of all time career collapses. He was literally the most dominant player of his profession in the history of the game for a solid 6-7 year stretch, and was well ahead of the pace needed to break Jack's all time major win total of 18. And now he's not even capable of making the cut at the Phoenix Open... and will likely finish dead last! Beyond epic...

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This will probably be the last time we see Tiger at the WM open. Don't think he is too happy to be here. Plus, he was supposed to go to the Super Bowl, but apparently he is already on the plane home to "work on his game"

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His fall from grace has to rank at the very top of all time career collapses. He was literally the most dominant player of his profession in the history of the game for a solid 6-7 year stretch, and was well ahead of the pace needed to break Jack's all time major win total of 18. And now he's not even capable of making the cut at the Phoenix Open... and will likely finish dead last! Beyond epic...

I saw two commentators today basically just throw up their hands and say, "I have no idea what's wrong with Tiger. It's baffling". Then, still try to put out some kind of hope that he might rebound.

BUT any other golfer.... everyone would be saying he's got the "yips", which is a death knell for a pro golfer. There is no other way to look at some of his horrendous chips and putts. His confidence is in the tank, doubt is haunting almost every shot he takes.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just found out that Woods finished dead last! I hate to see him play like this....

Pretty sad to hear. I have always like woods. He popularized a game that my family has been making a living on all our lives. Golf was nowhere what it has become the day he became a pro golfer. Hope we do see him here again but I don't think we will.