Was my hunch right?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
All during the off season and well into training camp, I felt that Blaine Gabbert was the best QB on this 2017 season roster. He may have just proved that today. It's too bad that most of the seasoned veterans on this team are so far removed from being willing to expend enough effort to make Gabbert's effort pay off with a win, and you can count much of the coaching staff for lack of effort as well.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Your hunch was wrong if you think he is better than Palmer, that is just crazy talk but he is better than Stanton

Whoa there JG---When was the last time Palmer was able to throw the ball deep enough to hit Smoke on the fly? Palmer WAS better than Gabbert is now, but no longer is. He can no longer do what his mind wants him to do. He is a lead-foot, weak armed QB who is about two years past being able to do what is necessary in order to win. That is not crazy talk, that is shown to be true.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Would you have called him weak against Dallas in the first half which is a far better team than the Texans? The Texans would have problems with the Browns now. There is no whoa, Palmer still has better instincts, leadership and just as much accuracy on intermediate routes and more than adequate arm strength. Palmer had his WRs dropping the ball too but was still able to to show the ability for prolonged drives with the offense. What was Gabbert's longest drive is the question? Maybe Gabbert needs more time on the field, but he has shown nothing so far that he can lead a offense down field till he does. If you looked at him and Savage, freaking Savage had just as good as a game as Gabbert against an equally bad Bettcher defense but would you want Savage as your starter?

I like him from one game as a possible backup over Stanton for sure but it's the freaking shorthanded Texans with all respect Cat. I would love to see Gab build on this game and prove me wrong, but for one game against the Texans to say he is the best QB on the roster is jumping to conclusions. There is no question Gabbert's physical ability is better than Palmer, it was five years ago but there is more to a QB than measurables or Gabbert would still be with the Jaguars or Niners. Maybe Gabbert can become Alex Smith with a stronger arm, and I would keep him on the roster but I would still draft a QB in this draft and I would move up in the first to do so. I was rooting for Gabbert today and hope after a few more games I will have even more confidence in him :)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gabbert, while rusty, showed that he can be an effective NFL QB. Of course he needs a running game and a couple of WR's, besides #11, who can catch the ball. Can Chad Williams and maybe Angilosi (Sp?) be those guys? We have a few games to find out. To paraphrase BA, Gabbert is better than Stanton, and it's not even close.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big Red Rage said that Gabbert didn't have a completion over 20 yards, but he did have a td pass for 28 yards. And yes I know the TE got much of that yardage after the catch. But is it possible that he had a 20+ yard pass but the receiver dropped the ball? If we give the receivers credit for yardage after the catch, shouldn't we give them blame for drops?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Red Rage said that Gabbert didn't have a completion over 20 yards, but he did have a td pass for 28 yards. And yes I know the TE got much of that yardage after the catch. But is it possible that he had a 20+ yard pass but the receiver dropped the ball? If we give the receivers credit for yardage after the catch, shouldn't we give them blame for drops?

I was responding to catfish saying
Whoa there JG---When was the last time Palmer was able to throw the ball deep enough to hit Smoke on the fly?

Gabbert did not do that either.

Reaction score
Did he prove it with the pass he threw straight to the ground when he panicked or when he threw it 10 feet above the receiver? Gabbert didn't play any better than Stanton did on Thursday. Only difference was the receivers were catching the ball instead of dropping it. IMHO of course.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Catfish,

I am going to have to disagree with you. I watched Gabbert in High School (from St. Louis local high school played against him every year), college (Mizzou alumni) and pro. He has great physical talent but is rattled to easily. When the game is on the line he seems to make a critical mistake that costs the team. Did it in college and the pros. He is back up and that is all.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Gabbert is the most physically gifted QB on the roster, and thus in that sense I concur with you, Catfish. The questions I have of him are whether he can deliver in the clutch in tight games and whether he is a leader to rally around. I'd like to see those questions answered over the next few weeks, if BA doesn't do what he says he is going to do, which is start Stanton when he's healthy again.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did he prove it with the pass he threw straight to the ground when he panicked or when he threw it 10 feet above the receiver? Gabbert didn't play any better than Stanton did on Thursday. Only difference was the receivers were catching the ball instead of dropping it. IMHO of course.

Receivers were catching the ball? What game did you watch?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No starter should lose their job to injury, and I am totally down with that except Stanton is a 'backup' who is starting and all bets are off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson