Was I Serious

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be a GM nowadays having to pick a 1st round WR. The college game has become so different I think it's the hardest position to get right at the top of the draft.

And I'm going to put it in writing and risk future ridicule. CeeDee Lamb scares me. I don't see it.

Yes he looks great in college but he's playing against horrible Big12 defenses and Big12 receivers don't have a great history in the NFL. Add in a scheme that gets him wide open and so much of his production being YAC against bad D's and he just worries me. I keep seeing Deandre Hopkins comps but I don't see it. You watch Nuk college highlights and he's highpointing the ball over CB's. Making contested catches. Toe dragging in the back of the EZ. You just don't see anywhere near as much of that with Lamb. Most of his tape is catch a wide open pass 15 yards out then run past some future insurance saleman for 40 yards.

When he gets to the NFL and he has a CB1 all over him it's going to feel like a different game.

So I'd take the tackle :)

Tackles are actually just as scary to draft. College schemes no longer ask them to hold a block for the most part. Players coming into the league now have to learn how to run routes at WR, learn how to hold a block for the OL and a myriad of other aspects though the pro game is adjusting to college... but to an extent which Kingsbury learned when all of a sudden TEs and his running backs became more important to him

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Playing with fire not drafting a WR.

I definitely understand going OT in the 1st(hell, I want that too), but Keim better not wait until damn Day 3 to draft a WR.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to mention what's it saying to your existing WR room?

You're telling Kirk you don't believe he is it.
You're telling Butler, Isabella and Johnson you think you made a mistake drafting them.

You are likely doing more damage than good by drafting a high pick receiver.
Could also motivate them & tell themselves that they have to step up their game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because we drafted 4 in 2 years and any one of them is still capable of being a WR1. They take time to develop.

For every DK Metcalf there are 10 DJ Charks.

Sitting on our hands, hoping Fitz is still ageless and that some of this crop of kids develops is absolutely playing with fire. What have we seen that gives hope that any of them will develop into a legit #1? Not develop into a contributor, or a solid pro, but a LEGIT #1?

We need to be surrounding KM with talent at the skill positions.

With our #8, we should target the individual and not the position.

There are a handful of prospects each year who are physical freaks of nature or arespecial when it comes to so-called intangibles (i.e. work ethic, football smarts etc.) Example: Anquan Boldin, Fitz, Watt, Kuechly

If one of these guys is available - regardless of position - you don't think twice; you leap on that puppy.

I think we sometimes get hung up on position-filling and ignore the core of the team.

Great post.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sitting on our hands, hoping Fitz is still ageless and that some of this crop of kids develops is absolutely playing with fire. What have we seen that gives hope that any of them will develop into a legit #1? Not develop into a contributor, or a solid pro, but a LEGIT #1?

We need to be surrounding KM with talent at the skill positions.

Great post.
Taking another stab at an unproven rookie and watching Keim make the wrong choice again and again isn't compelling either. Nor should we be ignoring getting Murray actual protection and not some "not the worst we've ever had" offensive line. Or a defense that won't force Kyler to throw constantly because we can't stop a JV team.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
With our #8, we should target the individual and not the position.

There are a handful of prospects each year who are physical freaks of nature or arespecial when it comes to so-called intangibles (i.e. work ethic, football smarts etc.) Example: Anquan Boldin, Fitz, Watt, Kuechly

If one of these guys is available - regardless of position - you don't think twice; you leap on that puppy.

I think we sometimes get hung up on position-filling and ignore the core of the team.
We already know the positional individuals ALL worthy of the top 10. Just so happens they're mtl needs areas also.

OT's - Thomas, Wills and Wirfs
WR's- Jeudy, Lamb
LB- Simmons
DL- Brown

Good problem to have when maybe three or more could fall to us at 8.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that none of them develop into WR1's. At this point in time, it's not etched in stone that we even have a WR2 on the roster. I agree with Stout, that we desperately need a WR1.
I'm still holding out hope that Butler becomes our #1? At least puts up numbers similar to Metcalf in Seattle.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
So what do you look for when you’re trying to find a number 1 receiver? The first thing I like to see is, did the receiver show year-to-year growth? Take Lamb for example. Last year he had trouble breaking tackles. He just wasn’t strong enough. He busted his tail in the offseason. This year he showed significant improvement that was reflected in his YAC. In fact YAC is another thing I like to see in a young receiver. It shows tenacity, athleticism and a willingness to get physical. I want a player who loves the game. Does he have enthusiasm? Does he want to win? In Lamb’s case there’s every reason to believe he will just get better.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't want to waste another first round pick on on a wide receiver. We ain't the Detroit Lions! Seriously, the D needs fixing and I'd go there.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't want to waste another first round pick on on a wide receiver. We ain't the Detroit Lions! Seriously, the D needs fixing and I'd go there.
And if all the top end defensive talent is off the board at 8? We don't have to go defense with the 8th pick. If the best player on the board is an offensive player (likely either WR or OL) than take the best player. If the best player is a defensive player (Okudah or Simmons seem most likely) than go there. We need to not pigeonhole ourselves into picking a certain type of player and just focus on finding an all pro talent regardless of position.

Stout

Reaction score
Taking another stab at an unproven rookie and watching Keim make the wrong choice again and again isn't compelling either. Nor should we be ignoring getting Murray actual protection and not some "not the worst we've ever had" offensive line. Or a defense that won't force Kyler to throw constantly because we can't stop a JV team.

We're stuck with Keim, so can't make decisions based on the assumption he'll screw them up. Have to hope for the best.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We're stuck with Keim, so can't make decisions based on the assumption he'll screw them up. Have to hope for the best.
I guess. But drafting Jeudy or Lamb just screams to me that we're planning on another year of "run for your life, Kyler." I just don't see either of these guys being dominant game changers (next year - they could develop), and envision us staring down another poor record with a bad offensive line and WRs that don't shake out to anyone we feel confident about.

I think adding one of those two WRs develops into a very marginal offensive increase. Feels like replacing slightly balding tires when your transmission is shot.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Another? When’s the last time we did that? Just sayin
I bet he basically meant "another pick." We haven't picked one since Floyd, and it's a good thing, because every 1st round WR we had the chance to reasonably take since has been a bust or unspectacular.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot gaurantee ANY player we need or desire will be there.
Fix this defense as much as you can in F/A along with signing guys we want back.

We have to face reality we cannot fill all the holes we have this year in what I’m calling the Kingsbury era.

we need to go into this draft with the BPA in mind. Let’s face it, there are probably 5 players that would become a building block for the future. But if we head into the draft thinking we are going to draft, because we NEED to, an OT is a recipe for disaster.

Draft a great player. I don’t care what position he plays.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The teams with the best wide receivers didn't make the playoffs.

The teams with the best trenches and defenses not only made the playoffs but by and large won their games. (The Pats defense had been off form for weeks)

That should tell us what is important.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess. But drafting Jeudy or Lamb just screams to me that we're planning on another year of "run for your life, Kyler." I just don't see either of these guys being dominant game changers (next year - they could develop), and envision us staring down another poor record with a bad offensive line and WRs that don't shake out to anyone we feel confident about.

I think adding one of those two WRs develops into a very marginal offensive increase. Feels like replacing slightly balding tires when your transmission is shot.

True, Kyler having to run for his life has much to do with our below average OL. But, we also don't have a WR group that can create separation on a regular basis. I'm all for picking the BPA at 8, whether it be an OLinemen, WR, or Defensive player.

Stout

Reaction score

I realize this isn't going to be a one-year turnaround, so I'm good with a top young WR developing, and developing chemistry, with KM for a year. Plus there are other ways of strengthening the OL.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to mention what's it saying to your existing WR room?

You're telling Kirk you don't believe he is it.
You're telling Butler, Isabella and Johnson you think you made a mistake drafting them.

You are likely doing more damage than good by drafting a high pick receiver.

Yes - it is clear we made a mistake drafting them.

Butler was the worst WR in camp last year - it is highly unlikely he turns that around. Johnson is a possession receiver, he has no physical attributes to be anything else.
Isabella was barely used all season despite being drafted in the 2nd round. Even if he plays to his potential we need an outside receiver.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sorry guys, 100% guaranteed we aren't drafting a WR. its OT or defense.

front office is going to give our 3 WR we took last year a chance to develop. Larry back in 2020 and can post 1,000 yards with a better Oline and a defense that will get off the field more often than they did in 2019. Larry still has enough in the tank to give us a bridge year as a semi-viable #1 to allow us to evaluate our 3 rookies.

WR could absolutely be our 1st round pick in 2021 or it could be buried on our list of needs. very little is known about our WR room right now. A lot is known about our defense and OT.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I was sort of serious when I said if the Cards wait until round 2 they could end up with the 12th best receiver. I confess to exaggerating, but only a little. I do think this will be an unusual draft with runs on WRs & OTs. I would not be surprised if the Cards had the option of the 8th best receiver if they wait. The question is which helps the offense more, a new RT or a number one receiver. I’ll admit it’s a tough call but it’s rare when a team has a chance to reunite a successful college offensive pairing.

Isn't that what the Cards did with Isabella last year???

Too soon?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes - it is clear we made a mistake drafting them.

Butler was the worst WR in camp last year - it is highly unlikely he turns that around. Johnson is a possession receiver, he has no physical attributes to be anything else.
Isabella was barely used all season despite being drafted in the 2nd round. Even if he plays to his potential we need an outside receiver.

I don't necessarily agree with you that we made mistakes drafting these guys. I don't believe any of them were drafted to be WR1's. I just believe we are now in a draft position to nab a legit #1. I'm fine going the BPA route at 8. If it means we draft our WR1, you do it. I believe we have a special QB. It may be time to team him up with a special WR. Not that the guys you mentioned can't be solid contributors. They can. I just don't believe we have a #1 on our current roster.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I realize this isn't going to be a one-year turnaround, so I'm good with a top young WR developing, and developing chemistry, with KM for a year. Plus there are other ways of strengthening the OL.
I guess you and I see this a little differently. I don't think another 4-5 win season is going to cut it for Keim to keep his job, and if Keim is removed, Kliff's job is on the line too. With our funky cap space and everything, I think we need to really nail it in the limited moves we make.

I certainly wish we could upgrade both, as I hate our WRs too, but I think OL has gone painfully neglected over the years and we can make Kyler's life easier at WR by signing someone who is decent but not a superstar that has size to play on the outside.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sorry guys, 100% guaranteed we aren't drafting a WR. its OT or defense.

front office is going to give our 3 WR we took last year a chance to develop. Larry back in 2020 and can post 1,000 yards with a better Oline and a defense that will get off the field more often than they did in 2019. Larry still has enough in the tank to give us a bridge year as a semi-viable #1 to allow us to evaluate our 3 rookies.

WR could absolutely be our 1st round pick in 2021 or it could be buried on our list of needs. very little is known about our WR room right now. A lot is known about our defense and OT.

There is only one 100% guarantee in this mortal coil and this isn't it.