Was I Serious

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well, I was sort of serious when I said if the Cards wait until round 2 they could end up with the 12th best receiver. I confess to exaggerating, but only a little. I do think this will be an unusual draft with runs on WRs & OTs. I would not be surprised if the Cards had the option of the 8th best receiver if they wait. The question is which helps the offense more, a new RT or a number one receiver. I’ll admit it’s a tough call but it’s rare when a team has a chance to reunite a successful college offensive pairing.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I was sort of serious when I said if the Cards wait until round 2 they could end up with the 12th best receiver. I confess to exaggerating, but only a little. I do think this will be an unusual draft with runs on WRs & OTs. I would not be surprised if the Cards had the option of the 8th best receiver if they wait. The question is which helps the offense more, a new RT or a number one receiver. I’ll admit it’s a tough call but it’s rare when a team has a chance to reunite a successful college offensive pairing.
A receiver should be more ready to play
OT and DT struggle to make early impact

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we go offense, it should be WR only. Otherwise, we need the most help on Defense. OL is something we can address in free agency or in subsequent rounds (rounds 2-4), especially RT. Not round 1, unless an OL is BPA, which I don't believe will be the case in the top 10.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would agree that if they have a guy (WR) they really like and are targeting in round 2, they should be ready to move up.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A receiver should be more ready to play
OT and DT struggle to make early impact
Almost every rookie WR takes a while to grow into being a 1,000 yard player. Even some of the greatest of all time barely eclipse that number. It's why Jeudy/Lamb fail to inspire me from the "immediate impact" side of things.

Most importantly, I don't think this team needs immediate impact. To me, we're more than a year away. Drafting an elite talent at the OL seems like a better long term strategy that will improve this offense just as the rest of the teams in our division struggle with age and cap issues. Protecting Kyler is just so important to his development. WRs can be acquired, generally.

Now, I think Lamb and KM reuniting would be awesome to see. You can get close to selling me on it. Just because of the connection, I'd take Lamb over Jeudy.

But I think Justin Murray is a backup tier player, and would love to find a way to upgrade DJ Humphries at a lower cost. So give me the OT. I'm so jealous of these teams with awesome lines, and true blue chip players, because we've never had one in AZ.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We desperately, desperately need a #1 WR. Why draft a QB #1 and then not surround him with talent?

Because we drafted 4 in 2 years and any one of them is still capable of being a WR1. They take time to develop.

For every DK Metcalf there are 10 DJ Charks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Because we drafted 4 in 2 years and any one of them is still capable of being a WR1. They take time to develop.

For every DK Metcalf there are 10 DJ Charks.
I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that none of them develop into WR1's. At this point in time, it's not etched in stone that we even have a WR2 on the roster. I agree with Stout, that we desperately need a WR1.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We desperately, desperately need a #1 WR. Why draft a QB #1 and then not surround him with talent?
That's assuming Jeudy and Lamb develop. You could convince me to go after WR in free agency, but I just have these terrible visions of Keim drafting one of these two kids and they just add to a young receiver room that has no playmakers and just a bunch of guys. When's the last time a first round wide receiver made a major impact as a rookie? Looks like you need to go back to Amari Cooper for the last time a 1st rounder had a 1,000 yard rookie season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that none of them develop into WR1's. At this point in time, it's not etched in stone that we even have a WR2 on the roster. I agree with Stout, that we desperately need a WR1.

I'm not sure how you can say that.

Andy Isabella has similar stats to DJ Chark last year.

Chark 14/174/0 TD
Bella 9/189/1 TD

Keesean Johnson has better stats than AJ Brown in year 1

Brown 16/167/0
Johnson 21/187/1

Now I'm not saying these guys are going to be DJ Chark and AB. What I'm saying is all 3 guys could be anything.

Nobody was saying Chark was going to have 1000+ yards this year. Back in 2010 nobody thought AB was going to be the best WR from that class.

We have no idea. You can't judge WR's this early. Especially ones with less than 40 combines receptions.

Maybe none of them become WR1's, but then I'd rather have 3 WR2's anyway.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's assuming Jeudy and Lamb develop. You could convince me to go after WR in free agency, but I just have these terrible visions of Keim drafting one of these two kids and they just add to a young receiver room that has no playmakers and just a bunch of guys. When's the last time a first round wide receiver made a major impact as a rookie? Looks like you need to go back to Amari Cooper for the last time a 1st rounder had a 1,000 yard rookie season.

Not to mention what's it saying to your existing WR room?

You're telling Kirk you don't believe he is it.
You're telling Butler, Isabella and Johnson you think you made a mistake drafting them.

You are likely doing more damage than good by drafting a high pick receiver.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With our #8, we should target the individual and not the position.

There are a handful of prospects each year who are physical freaks of nature or arespecial when it comes to so-called intangibles (i.e. work ethic, football smarts etc.) Example: Anquan Boldin, Fitz, Watt, Kuechly

If one of these guys is available - regardless of position - you don't think twice; you leap on that puppy.

I think we sometimes get hung up on position-filling and ignore the core of the team.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Not to mention what's it saying to your existing WR room?

You're telling Kirk you don't believe he is it.
You're telling Butler, Isabella and Johnson you think you made a mistake drafting them.

You are likely doing more damage than good by drafting a high pick receiver.

I would absolutely tell Kirk he's not a number one WR, because he's not... but not many people can say they have the ability to be a number 2 WR in the NFL which he has, so there :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With our #8, we should target the individual and not the position.

There are a handful of prospects each year who are physical freaks of nature or arespecial when it comes to so-called intangibles (i.e. work ethic, football smarts etc.) Example: Anquan Boldin, Fitz, Watt, Kuechly

If one of these guys is available - regardless of position - you don't think twice; you leap on that puppy.

I think we sometimes get hung up on position-filling and ignore the core of the team.
Right on. I always like to look at the draft as help in year two. It’s hard to depend on any rookie being a cornerstone in year one with the exception of running back.
If you knew for sure Okudah was the next great cb, you take him even if pp was in his prime.
You take great players. If we think Wirf is the next Thomas or Whitworth you take him and wr be damn.
However, the real question is if you had a choice of a wr that is the next Fitz and an OT who is the next Whitworth what do you do? Lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right on. I always like to look at the draft as help in year two. It’s hard to depend on any rookie being a cornerstone in year one with the exception of running back.
If you knew for sure Okudah was the next great cb, you take him even if pp was in his prime.
You take great players. If we think Wirf is the next Thomas or Whitworth you take him and wr be damn.
However, the real question is if you had a choice of a wr that is the next Fitz and an OT who is the next Whitworth what do you do? Lol.

I wouldn't want to be a GM nowadays having to pick a 1st round WR. The college game has become so different I think it's the hardest position to get right at the top of the draft.

And I'm going to put it in writing and risk future ridicule. CeeDee Lamb scares me. I don't see it.

Yes he looks great in college but he's playing against horrible Big12 defenses and Big12 receivers don't have a great history in the NFL. Add in a scheme that gets him wide open and so much of his production being YAC against bad D's and he just worries me. I keep seeing Deandre Hopkins comps but I don't see it. You watch Nuk college highlights and he's highpointing the ball over CB's. Making contested catches. Toe dragging in the back of the EZ. You just don't see anywhere near as much of that with Lamb. Most of his tape is catch a wide open pass 15 yards out then run past some future insurance saleman for 40 yards.

When he gets to the NFL and he has a CB1 all over him it's going to feel like a different game.

So I'd take the tackle :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be a GM nowadays having to pick a 1st round WR. The college game has become so different I think it's the hardest position to get right at the top of the draft.

And I'm going to put it in writing and risk future ridicule. CeeDee Lamb scares me. I don't see it.

Yes he looks great in college but he's playing against horrible Big12 defenses and Big12 receivers don't have a great history in the NFL. Add in a scheme that gets him wide open and so much of his production being YAC against bad D's and he just worries me. I keep seeing Deandre Hopkins comps but I don't see it. You watch Nuk college highlights and he's highpointing the ball over CB's. Making contested catches. Toe dragging in the back of the EZ. You just don't see anywhere near as much of that with Lamb. Most of his tape is catch a wide open pass 15 yards out then run past some future insurance saleman for 40 yards.

When he gets to the NFL and he has a CB1 all over him it's going to feel like a different game.

So I'd take the tackle :)
I agree. Kyler learn the difference. If anything we need a bigger receiver that can contest 50/50 balls. I really don’t see going after another wr that’s 6’1” and 195 lbs and fast. We have that already. We need defense or o- line.
I know you don’t like Humphries but I really think the Cards are going to find a way to keep him. He will not, and he would be stupid to play under the tag and even dumber to hold out. I just think they can sign him to a contract that will pay him top 5 money IF, IF he performs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose