Was I Serious

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

Well, I was sort of serious when I said if the Cards wait until round 2 they could end up with the 12th best receiver. I confess to exaggerating, but only a little. I do think this will be an unusual draft with runs on WRs & OTs. I would not be surprised if the Cards had the option of the 8th best receiver if they wait. The question is which helps the offense more, a new RT or a number one receiver. I’ll admit it’s a tough call but it’s rare when a team has a chance to reunite a successful college offensive pairing.

WildBB and BigRedArk like this.
  2. juza76

juza76 Registered

A receiver should be more ready to play
    OT and DT struggle to make early impact

3. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Fine by me.

I don't see WR as a top 5 need

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

depends what we do in FA. I think DL is the biggest priority on this team. And another ILB.

5. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Draft the big ugly with the 8th pick.

gbrim21 and GatorAZ like this.
  6. BurqueCardFan

BurqueCardFan Registered

If we go offense, it should be WR only. Otherwise, we need the most help on Defense. OL is something we can address in free agency or in subsequent rounds (rounds 2-4), especially RT. Not round 1, unless an OL is BPA, which I don't believe will be the case in the top 10.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  7. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I would agree that if they have a guy (WR) they really like and are targeting in round 2, they should be ready to move up.

8. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Almost every rookie WR takes a while to grow into being a 1,000 yard player. Even some of the greatest of all time barely eclipse that number. It's why Jeudy/Lamb fail to inspire me from the "immediate impact" side of things.

Most importantly, I don't think this team needs immediate impact. To me, we're more than a year away. Drafting an elite talent at the OL seems like a better long term strategy that will improve this offense just as the rest of the teams in our division struggle with age and cap issues. Protecting Kyler is just so important to his development. WRs can be acquired, generally.

Now, I think Lamb and KM reuniting would be awesome to see. You can get close to selling me on it. Just because of the connection, I'd take Lamb over Jeudy.

But I think Justin Murray is a backup tier player, and would love to find a way to upgrade DJ Humphries at a lower cost. So give me the OT. I'm so jealous of these teams with awesome lines, and true blue chip players, because we've never had one in AZ.

GatorAZ and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  9. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

We desperately, desperately need a #1 WR. Why draft a QB #1 and then not surround him with talent?

10. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Because we drafted 4 in 2 years and any one of them is still capable of being a WR1. They take time to develop.

For every DK Metcalf there are 10 DJ Charks.

BW52 and daves like this.
  11. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that none of them develop into WR1's. At this point in time, it's not etched in stone that we even have a WR2 on the roster. I agree with Stout, that we desperately need a WR1.

12. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

That's assuming Jeudy and Lamb develop. You could convince me to go after WR in free agency, but I just have these terrible visions of Keim drafting one of these two kids and they just add to a young receiver room that has no playmakers and just a bunch of guys. When's the last time a first round wide receiver made a major impact as a rookie? Looks like you need to go back to Amari Cooper for the last time a 1st rounder had a 1,000 yard rookie season.

13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I'm not sure how you can say that.

Andy Isabella has similar stats to DJ Chark last year.

Chark 14/174/0 TD
    Bella 9/189/1 TD

Keesean Johnson has better stats than AJ Brown in year 1

Brown 16/167/0
    Johnson 21/187/1

Now I'm not saying these guys are going to be DJ Chark and AB. What I'm saying is all 3 guys could be anything.

Nobody was saying Chark was going to have 1000+ yards this year. Back in 2010 nobody thought AB was going to be the best WR from that class.

We have no idea. You can't judge WR's this early. Especially ones with less than 40 combines receptions.

Maybe none of them become WR1's, but then I'd rather have 3 WR2's anyway.

daves likes this.
  14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Not to mention what's it saying to your existing WR room?

You're telling Kirk you don't believe he is it.
    You're telling Butler, Isabella and Johnson you think you made a mistake drafting them.

You are likely doing more damage than good by drafting a high pick receiver.

15. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

With our #8, we should target the individual and not the position.

There are a handful of prospects each year who are physical freaks of nature or arespecial when it comes to so-called intangibles (i.e. work ethic, football smarts etc.) Example: Anquan Boldin, Fitz, Watt, Kuechly

If one of these guys is available - regardless of position - you don't think twice; you leap on that puppy.

I think we sometimes get hung up on position-filling and ignore the core of the team.