Was anyone else here present at the very 1st S.B.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I went to it with my friendś Dad. He bought a ticket and I sneaked in over the fence at the L.A. Colosseum. I beat my friendś dad to his seat. There was one place in the outside fence surrounding the stadium where a huge gate was located. When closed, there was just a small bit where the barbed wire was separated in a way where I could acrobatically maneuver over it without cutting myself or my pants. I got to where I could fly over that faster than the police could turn around from their walk back and force inside at that portion of the fence.

I remember that there was always a crowd of kids and young adults gathering near there looking up at the barb wire wondering if they could or should try it. I just pushed my way past them all and up and over I went each time. Funny how after seeing me do it, they still wouldn't try it. I guess it would have taken them too long and the cops would have been waiting for them to come back down, like happened to my friend once after I had gone over. That was funny as I looked back and saw my friend hanging half way down the inside trying to go back over as a cop was slapping him on the butt with his nightstick. Damn shame we didn't have cameras to video our youthful exploits back then in those more innocent times.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I went to it with my friendś Dad. He bought a ticket and I sneaked in over the fence at the L.A. Colosseum. I beat my friendś dad to his seat. There was one place in the outside fence surrounding the stadium where a huge gate was located. When closed, there was just a small bit where the barbed wire was separated in a way where I could acrobatically maneuver over it without cutting myself or my pants. I got to where I could fly over that faster than the police could turn around from their walk back and force inside at that portion of the fence.

I remember that there was always a crowd of kids and young adults gathering near there looking up at the barb wire wondering if they could or should try it. I just pushed my way past them all and up and over I went each time. Funny how after seeing me do it, they still wouldn't try it. I guess it would have taken them too long and the cops would have been waiting for them to come back down, like happened to my friend once after I had gone over. That was funny as I looked back and saw my friend hanging half way down the inside trying to go back over as a cop was slapping him on the butt with his nightstick. Damn shame we didn't have cameras to video our youthful exploits back then in those more innocent times.
I'm sure the statute of limitations has expired for your trespassing offense but you sound like maybe there have been more.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of Byron Scott sneaking into the old Forum in Inglewood as a kid. One of his favorite memories was seeing his favorite player - Bob McAdoo of the Buffalo Braves. Later, Scott won one of his titles with the Lakers with McAdoo as a bench player on that team.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. Didn’t attend but my dad climbed up on our roof to point the TV antenna towards San Diego to try and get the game. My job was st sit in front of the TV and yell, “Nope! Nothing yet! Just fuzz!” While I listened to him cuss.

We had a mid-century ranch with rocks on the roof. It wasn’t exactly stable footing up there.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember my Dad calling it an exhibition game. Until Namath pulled off the greatest upset in sports history, almost no one had any respect for the AFL. And when KC beat up on the Vikings the following year, the Super Bowl became must watch TV.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
We’ll remember watching SB 4 when the Chiefs beat my Vikings with Joe Kapp and Alan Page….
to this day still hate Hank Stram For his gloating on the sidelines, guy had no class….
!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’ll remember watching SB 4 when the Chiefs beat my Vikings with Joe Kapp and Alan Page….
to this day still hate Hank Stram For his gloating on the sidelines, guy had no class….
!
I remember that season so well. Vikings rolled through the NFL & even put up 50 against the reigning NFL champion Colts. Pretty sure they beat up a very good Browns team in the playoffs also. Kapp ran over a Cleveland LB & actually hurt the guy. And yet when they played the Chiefs in the SB, the Chiefs were bigger, faster, stronger across the board. Pretty sure Buck Buchanan landed on Kapp & broke his ribs late in the game. No one could believe that the big bad Purple People Eaters were so physically dominated. I was rooting for the Vikings & was shocked.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have very vague memories of SB IV, some scattered recollections of a few of the black and white TV images. Mostly I recall my older brother eating too much and throwing up. You know, that kind of thing was memorable to a six year old. :p
I did, however, become a Chiefs and Vikings fan as a result. That is until I moved to AZ in ‘96 and acquired my current rooting “affliction” for the team with the red bird on its helmet. :cool:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
!
Joe Kapp was so fun to watch. He wasn't a great passer but his wobbly ducks got there somehow. But, when he ran it was full title boogie baby. One of my favorites from the old days.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I'm fortunate enough to say that I'm old enough to have seen every one of them. I started watching pro football in 64, so I even remember a few of the NFL & AFL Championship games prior to the Super Bowl era. I just hope I get to see the Cardinals hoist a Lombardi Trophy before my time is up.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I guess I'm fortunate enough to say that I'm old enough to have seen every one of them. I started watching pro football in 64, so I even remember a few of the NFL & AFL Championship games prior to the Super Bowl era. I just hope I get to see the Cardinals hoist a Lombardi Trophy before my time is up.
Me too and I'm happy for that.

azkcfan

Reaction score
I am originally from the KC area and was in the USN for the first superbowl was on deck watch during game and would have to peak into officers mess to see parts of game I was at the triple OT game in 68 Chiefs and Dolphins lost that one also.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I didn’t attend but I saw it. As a sad footnote Packer Boyd Dowler hurt his shoulder and was replaced by Max McGee. He went on to catch a bunch of passes for over 100 yards and 2 TDs. He died a few years ago when he fell off his roof. A good note to my fellow old guys, stay off roofs.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t attend but I saw it. As a sad footnote Packer Boyd Dowler hurt his shoulder and was replaced by Max McGee. He went on to catch a bunch of passes for over 100 yards and 2 TDs. He died a few years ago when he fell off his roof. A good note to my fellow old guys, stay off roofs.
Who had been out drinking until almost dawn because he didn't expect to play and was very, very hung over, if I remember the story correctly.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to blow leaves off of his roof at 75 ?! Wow.