Want to buy a 4k TV with a new Xbox One X

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Hey people, I took on being the JV girls soccer coach at the high school I teach at. I'm not exactly a soccer expert, but hey, no coach means no team so I decided to help my buddy, the Varsity coach.

Anyway, the gig pays pretty well and so I'd like to treat myself to a present. I have a 70 inch Sharp TV but its not 4k and it has a line through the bottom third that makes the bottom part lighter than the top part of the screen. I don't think I wanna spend as much as it would take to get a 4k 70 inch tv, so I was thinking of downgrading slightly to a 65 inch. I'd like to keep the TV purchase price near 1k. Probably can purchase in December or January as the money comes over 5 paychecks starting at the end of November.

Any suggestions?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure it has true HDR and 4k. 4k alone doesn't make as much of a difference. OLED and QLED are the highest quality lighting but not mandatory. The HDR is mandatory.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure it has true HDR and 4k. 4k alone doesn't make as much of a difference. OLED and QLED are the highest quality lighting but not mandatory. The HDR is mandatory.

What he said, but if you only have 1k, OLED and QLED aren't in your budget.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wait until Black Friday. I scored a Samsung, 65" curved (I like it), 4k, true HDR, makes my Xbox One X shine and I paid $899 for the tv. Major deals will be had from Black Friday through January. You will be able to get something that works more than enough to fit your needs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait until Black Friday. I scored a Samsung, 65" curved (I like it), 4k, true HDR, makes my Xbox One X shine and I paid $899 for the tv. Major deals will be had from Black Friday through January. You will be able to get something that works more than enough to fit your needs.

+1 on this, deals will improve. What matters is to get LED or better and make sure it has full HDR. Then, just buy the best deal you can find with those stats IMO.

the "HZ" crap doesn't matter, you'll turn that off anyway to avoid the soap opera effect.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget about input lag. For gaming, it's important. Some 4k tv's have really bad input lag, which makes everything feel sluggish. Using a controller (as opposed to a mouse) can help with that, but bad input lag can make a game feel sluggish.

HDR tv's also have some notoriously bad input lag. Some are decent, others are bad.

If it's for consoles and tv, you don't need anything about a true refresh rate of 60hz for 1080/4k. If you ever want to game on PC with it, you might want to consider one that can also do 120hz at 1080p. True 120hz, don't be fooled when they say it's 120 and really is 60 because they count interpolation.

If you're willing to go down to 55", you can get something like this. 4k, HDR, low input lag.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397451

Right now 55" $599.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

So yeah, you want to have input lag around the 15ms at 4k. Remember some PC monitors brag about having 1ms at their native resolution, usually 1440p. So the ones that have 35-70 are sort of bad. 35 might not be a deal breaker for you, but it's definitely not ideal. Anything higher then that you should avoid.

Remember you want to always find the game mode on your tv and use that. Also HDR on vs off will make a huge difference. Some people would rather game without HDR just because of the added input lag. Like some of these will have 15ms with HDR off but 35 with it on. Some manage even 22ms with HDR on. Some will be much worse.

But the 2017 tv's they are pretty decent, and you should be fine with most big models.

Here's a good site which has reviews updated for fall 2017, this is probably the best consolidated, detailed set of info you can get.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd

Future wise, as puckhead said, freesync 2 with hdmi 2.1, there's going to be 4k/120hz but that'll be a PC thing. Plus you can bet that over the next few years the HDR will be getting brighter as HDR is a cut-off threshold. I.E. get over a certain brightness level and you're HDR, but they'll be pushing higher and higher over that threshold. Also they'll likely get better at reducing input lag when HDR is on. But the tv's out now are nice.

Last edited:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardsFan, what's the deal with the Roku on that tv? I had seen that model and liked the price, but didn't know if I wanted to be stuck with the Roku thing. I'm currently using an jailbroken Fire Stick. I'd like to move up to 4k. Thanks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardsFan, what's the deal with the Roku on that tv? I had seen that model and liked the price, but didn't know if I wanted to be stuck with the Roku thing. I'm currently using an jailbroken Fire Stick. I'd like to move up to 4k. Thanks.

you should still be able to firestick, roku is just the built in app player.

OP
OP
HeavyB3

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Crazy, I guess all 4k tvs are not the same. Why do they always have to make everything so complicated? I may just buy the Xbox One X first, and deal with the 1080P TV for now. Like I said, this money is spread out over several paychecks so I can probably save money until January and buy one Superbowl Season and maybe buy the X in a couple weeks, if I can find one on Black Friday I'll pick one up.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Crazy, I guess all 4k tvs are not the same. Why do they always have to make everything so complicated? I may just buy the Xbox One X first, and deal with the 1080P TV for now. Like I said, this money is spread out over several paychecks so I can probably save money until January and buy one Superbowl Season and maybe buy the X in a couple weeks, if I can find one on Black Friday I'll pick one up.
I would reverse that purchase. X without 4k won't show off the power of the X as you are more likely to get a great deal on an X later. The time for the TV is now.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget about input lag. For gaming, it's important. Some 4k tv's have really bad input lag, which makes everything feel sluggish. Using a controller (as opposed to a mouse) can help with that, but bad input lag can make a game feel sluggish.

HDR tv's also have some notoriously bad input lag. Some are decent, others are bad.

If it's for consoles and tv, you don't need anything about a true refresh rate of 60hz for 1080/4k. If you ever want to game on PC with it, you might want to consider one that can also do 120hz at 1080p. True 120hz, don't be fooled when they say it's 120 and really is 60 because they count interpolation.

If you're willing to go down to 55", you can get something like this. 4k, HDR, low input lag.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397451

Right now 55" $599.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

So yeah, you want to have input lag around the 15ms at 4k. Remember some PC monitors brag about having 1ms at their native resolution, usually 1440p. So the ones that have 35-70 are sort of bad. 35 might not be a deal breaker for you, but it's definitely not ideal. Anything higher then that you should avoid.

Remember you want to always find the game mode on your tv and use that. Also HDR on vs off will make a huge difference. Some people would rather game without HDR just because of the added input lag. Like some of these will have 15ms with HDR off but 35 with it on. Some manage even 22ms with HDR on. Some will be much worse.

But the 2017 tv's they are pretty decent, and you should be fine with most big models.

Here's a good site which has reviews updated for fall 2017, this is probably the best consolidated, detailed set of info you can get.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd

Future wise, as puckhead said, freesync 2 with hdmi 2.1, there's going to be 4k/120hz but that'll be a PC thing. Plus you can bet that over the next few years the HDR will be getting brighter as HDR is a cut-off threshold. I.E. get over a certain brightness level and you're HDR, but they'll be pushing higher and higher over that threshold. Also they'll likely get better at reducing input lag when HDR is on. But the tv's out now are nice.
Is there any public opinion on the TCL? I'm currently in the market, and was looking at this one in particular at Best Buy, but I don't know anything about them. It's also shady to me that best buy only plays their 4k commercials on the very expensive TVs, and their crappy resolution on the cheaper ones. Will this thing look like the expensive TVs? This was the other one I was looking at, the picture in store was spectacular;
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...th-high-dynamic-range/5762813.p?skuId=5762813

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uneenaz, I'd like to know as well but my concern is centered more around the remote. Looks chinzy and not very friendly.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duh, yeah. Sorry I didn't see that. I was hoping to save more money but the 55P605/07 have the HDR. I imagine the prices might come down a little more as we get closer to Christmas. Everything I see says it's the absolute best value for the money. Thanks.

OP
OP
HeavyB3

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go with the LG 65UJ7700. Best Buy has it on sale right now for 949. I'll pick it up tomorrow, but I'm gonna get my Xbox One X tonight so that I have plenty of time to download some 4k content before I give it a shot. The TV is HRD10 and has Dolby Vision. There's a Sony for 899, and its HDR 10 but not Dolby Vision.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...th-high-dynamic-range/5792902.p?skuId=5792902

This is the Sony
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...th-high-dynamic-range/4803800.p?skuId=4803800

If I should get the Sony, let me know and why.