WACO (Netflix)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So glad this was picked up elsewhere. It was originally on Paramount TV when it was initially rebranded, prior to that it was Spike TV. I watched the first 2 episodes and decided to wait for it to end and binge the remainder but my DVR took a dump shortly after the season had finished. Of course that happened before I could view the rest of the season. You could watch it OnDemand through Paramount TV's website or app but it aired with commercials and it also didn't have closed captioning. Now that it's 2-3 years old, I can finish it.

I watched the first episode the other day since it had been far too long to jump in later and I wonder if the producers took too many liberties with the source material later on because the casting and acting was top notch. It should have received more attention than it did. Since it was based on Waco, it's not like they could make multiple seasons but even one great season can make a mark, like True Detective did, initially.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finished the series last night. Very sad, but a thought provoking study on many different levels. Two thumbs way up from me.

Looks like it was based on 2 books, one by "Tibido" who was one of the Davidians, and the other by "Gary" who was the lead negotiator. Both of those characters were portrayed as honorable men.

I have some more comments but will try to wait a bit for others to finish.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I finished the series 2 nights ago. It seemed for sympathetic towards the Davidians than I remember reading about and seeing on the news. (But that was 27 years ago).

I wonder how that would be viewed if it happened today.

I agree that it was thought provoking.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I finished the series 2 nights ago. It seemed for sympathetic towards the Davidians than I remember reading about and seeing on the news. (But that was 27 years ago).

I wonder how that would be viewed if it happened today.

I agree that it was thought provoking.

I didn't really follow it in depth at the time. But since I watched this series, have done a bit of reading of old newspaper articles. Sounds like they basically blamed the Davidians and made it seem like a mass suicide deal. The FBI initially denied using incendiary tear gas.

In 1999, the FBI changed their story and admitted using the incendiary tear gas, flash bomb grenades, etc.

I know there was a civil trial on this whole thing as well, but haven't read up on that yet, but found one article discussing how the judge kept a lot of the evidence out as far as the FBI decision making.

My opinion? A total cluster**** and another example of screwed up action by the U.S. Government costing lives. Yes Koresh and Davidians did some assinine things that contributed to all of this. But we have to hold our government to higher standards.

The ending credits of this film listed a bunch of similar deadly fires over several decades due to the FBI using this teargas. Amazing how our government seldom seems to learn from its mistakes.