W/o searching for threads from 15 years ago... but were ya’ll wanting to tank for Eli?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you thought Archie would allow it or not I had to ask after seeing this...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My draft analysis had him as the surest QB choice in that year and one of the surest in that era.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Tank no! Pissed off that McCown & Poole plucked the #1 pick out of our hands, yes!

But hey, I guess some guy named Larry Legend wasn’t a bad alternative lol

I was in this same boat. Didn't want to intentionally tank but was pissed we won a meaningless last game of the season on the last play of the game. That game just didn't make sense, the Vikings had so much more talent and everything to play for and we still found a way to win.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I was in this same boat. Didn't want to intentionally tank but was pissed we won a meaningless last game of the season on the last play of the game. That game just didn't make sense, the Vikings had so much more talent and everything to play for and we still found a way to win.
Where there's a will, there's a Larry...lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m glad we didn’t take Eli after he refused to play for SD and they were forced to trade him to NY. It would have happened to AZ too if we would have drafted him. Glad we got Fitz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wanted Ben Roethlisberger, and was upset we took Fitz, if you can beileve it. Not that I was wrong on Big Ben, but...Larry Legend, man.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Unpopular take: I wish we would’ve taken Rivers instead of Fitz

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
FWIW: that was Denny's first year

he was emphatic prior to the draft that Josh McCown was his guy

also: i got to go to corporate reception with local business leaders with Graves and Denny. Filled with a bunch of types who were very shallow sports fans... at best.. So i got to ask Graves and Denny detail stuff. Denny was happy to tell as well..

Denny told me Bert Berry was his No. 1 phone call in upcoming FA period. He also said that Eli Manning was good, but rated higher than he should be due to his name. He thought Roethlisberger was the best QB prospect.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted a QB badly. I didn't care if it was Big Ben, Rivers, or Eli. Being a Syracuse fan, I had seen Fitz play often & knew he was an absolute beast at Pitt. He was great at Pitt even though Pitt's QB's couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. If we had the 1st pick (and we should have), I still think we would have gone QB. I think the franchise would have been more successful with one of those QB's, but Fitz is the greatest Cardinal ever when you factor in production, personality, loyalty, etc, etc. Wouldn't go back & change anything.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was definitely intense discussion about whether we should win that last game. I went. Even by SDS standards, crowd mix was bad. 85 to 90% Vikings fan. I was the only Cards fan to show up in my entire row. Then, they were three deep ahead of me and three deep back. Since I was the only target in the area, I took some stuff from those Vikings fans. They were so smug, so sure they were going to win. Then, that unbelievable last play....

the looks of despair those fans had as they left were priceless. It was surreal almost, that game.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tank no! Pissed off that McCown & Poole plucked the #1 pick out of our hands, yes!

That was so epic and awesome. Ridiculous that people see it as a negative. :raccoon:

But hey, I guess some guy named Larry Legend wasn’t a bad alternative lol

Wasn't an alternative. Larry would have been the pick regardless. :cool:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There was definitely intense discussion about whether we should win that last game. I went. Even by SDS standards, crowd mix was bad. 85 to 90% Vikings fan. I was the only Cards fan to show up in my entire row. Then, they were three deep ahead of me and three deep back. Since I was the only target in the area, I took some stuff from those Vikings fans. They were so smug, so sure they were going to win. Then, that unbelievable last play....

the looks of despair those fans had as they left were priceless. It was surreal almost, that game.

The Vikings TV call of that play was awesome.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Denny had some great drafts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denny Green had 1 great draft, 2004. That draft produced Fitzgerald, Dansby, Dockett, and Antonio Smith.

2005 was abysmal, only producing one player of significance, Antrel Rolle.
2006 was only marginally better with three marginal sometimes-starters in Leonard Pope, Deuce Lutui, and Gabe Watson.

Green was out by 2007.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It really does take a whole team to win. Say Rivers came here. Would you have expected world beating success out of him on the early 2000's iterations of the Cardinals? We got Leinart and Warner within a year or two after that anyway. Leinart was the most successful collegiate quarterback ever. Came to a lousy ass team and flopped.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never wanted to tank ever... Never understood the philosophy never will

I never liked the "tanking" philosophy either, But if I was an Owner/GM and sitting at 2-9... and there was a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck type.... I think my thoughts on the process could be revisited.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never liked the "tanking" philosophy either, But if I was an Owner/GM and sitting at 2-9... and there was a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck type.... I think my thoughts on the process could be revisited.

I see it as cheating the fans, and REALLY cheating the guys who are on the team at the time. Very uncool, should never be done, ever. That said, proving a bad team is tanking is basically impossible.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I thought I'd posted in this thread, but I guess not.

I recall pretty much wanting Larry the whole way through, and was extremely worried he'd get picked before us. I definitely thought McCown needed a chance.

I was only 18 though, I thought a lot of stupid things back then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson