VR gaming

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also found with some games, we used arizona sunshine, you can buy on one quest and then login to that persons facebook on two separate quests and play together. super cool and saved us $40. (my lady bought one too)

also, been playing fitxr to go with boxing and have to say, I am sore all the time and having to take two days off of the workouts all the time. Fit xr will really get you sweating and between that and thrill of the fight, I get SOOOOOOORE

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
also found with some games, we used arizona sunshine, you can buy on one quest and then login to that persons facebook on two separate quests and play together. super cool and saved us $40. (my lady bought one too)

also, been playing fitxr to go with boxing and have to say, I am sore all the time and having to take two days off of the workouts all the time. Fit xr will really get you sweating and between that and thrill of the fight, I get SOOOOOOORE

Fit XR worth the money over Thrill of the Fight? I was thinking of grabbing the latter since you had praised it.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fit XR worth the money over Thrill of the Fight? I was thinking of grabbing the latter since you had praised it.
Well..they are very different. Thrill of the fight is $10 and a must buy. Go with that first. Once you play that a bit, oculus has a return policy. If you pony up 30 or whatever for fitxr and don't like it, if you play under 2 hours you get a no questions refund. Fitxr is a good workout, fun and includes squats. It's a workout game though so, boxing is a bit different.

Both will make you sweat and leave you sore.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few levels into arizona sunshine, its a pretty awesome game. Quite pricey though for what it is. Also, for whatever reason, it aims with the left eye vs working with both. I am right eyed so it is a weird adjustment but once I started shooting left eye only, its headshots galore.

FitXR is a great workout however it is workout based so when you are not motivated to "go work out" thrill of the fight is much better as it is more of a game that works you out vs a workout game. Helps me get a good sweat when I'm not motivated to go as hard. That's what I did last night. My legs were still sore from squats anyway. Feeling good today so should try to do fitxr right after work.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple recent findings and notes:

Code "mobile25" when used in oculus store app will get you 25% off in the store. I used it to buy virtual desktop as I had been waiting for a discount anyway assuming It would be useful for some new rift only type games or something. You can also do pretty much anything on your computer through this, literally controlling it with the oculus. Or, use it as a screen only and play a pc game. The screen in the oculus of a pc monitor has good resolution so its pretty cool. You can also watch movies on it in a fake theater.

sideloadvr.com will let you download sideloaded games through applab now, you no longer have to jump through all the hoops as you used to before.

used sideload to try "Pavlov vr", essentially a counterstrike port. pretty cool and difficult. Played around with the free version until the headset died and had a lot of fun.

Still getting my ass kicked playing thrill of the fight and fitxr. "spider" I think is his name, I think the 6th boxer in Thrill of the fight. He was the first boxer to beat me and he beat me good. I havent been back on it to have my rematch. Maybe I should tonight.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An aside but back in Sept 2018 I was interviewing with Oculus in the Bay area for a Facilities Manager position. Everything went well and then all of a sudden they went radio silent for 6 weeks. The recruiter involved called me when I was in the process of accepting the job I have now, and he said things are delayed several months due to business. Some friends I have who are in tech told me that Oculus had a major setback, not the it makes people dizzy and vomit stuff from the early days, he couldn't say what it was. 6 months later I got an update that basically said the position was cancelled.

So it sounds like there's a relatively new and improved Oculus out there, anybody have any idea based on that timing what happened? i was actually really interested in the job it's on the FB campus, they operate somewhat separately but you have full access to FB campus, FB benefits etc. That happened 3 times in that time frame Oculus, Rivian and I forget the 3rd. Rivian had a huge finance setback(electric trucks) so I knew what happened there. The 3rd company was going IPO and then delayed so they cut hiring. But I never found out why Oculus shelved that position but the recruiter for them implied it was not just my position it was many positions that got shelved.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
picked up drunken bar fights while on sale, super cheesy basic fun game. Should be good for company who wants to try VR. I wont play it a ton but I will play through it as it is entertaining. First I had to fight everyone in a bar which was decent and everything in the bar is usable as a weapon. The second level I was in a makeshift walmart running people over with shopping carts and whatnot. good fun.

I also picked up a shooter called contractors that I have not tried yet. Hoping it is good. Both games were on sale and if you play less than 2 hours of it and dont like it you can get a refund so figured why not.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been sore for days from doing HIIT in FitXR. Still stuck on "spider" in thrill of the fight. Finally almost beat him today. I won rounds 2 and 3 but he knocked me down twice in round one so they gave him the decision. SWEATY

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I so need to break out my VR kit again. Once I am done with my theater...

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy's stepson has a pretty amazing VR rig he built using a PC. He had a street racing/drift sim game and a full sit down steering wheel, 3 pedals, e-brake and a shifter. It looked awesome and felt very real. I felt awful after playing for about 10-15 minutes. I don't think I'll be diving in at this point.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy's stepson has a pretty amazing VR rig he built using a PC. He had a street racing/drift sim game and a full sit down steering wheel, 3 pedals, e-brake and a shifter. It looked awesome and felt very real. I felt awful after playing for about 10-15 minutes. I don't think I'll be diving in at this point.

fast moving games like that give me motion sickness.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fast moving games like that give me motion sickness.

Maybe that was it. I've never really experienced that type of illness before from boats/planes whatever, but it took a couple of hours to wear off.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe that was it. I've never really experienced that type of illness before from boats/planes whatever, but it took a couple of hours to wear off.

It gets less and less as you use VR. The oculus also recently changed the FOV which is helping. Some games I do not enjoy for this same reason and I dont get motion sickness anywhere else but the gravitron rides. Many games do not do any of this at all to me. its primarily games that move fast. driving, roller coasters, etc.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It gets less and less as you use VR. The oculus also recently changed the FOV which is helping. Some games I do not enjoy for this same reason and I dont get motion sickness anywhere else but the gravitron rides. Many games do not do any of this at all to me. its primarily games that move fast. driving, roller coasters, etc.

It's usually games with free motion that do it to me. Stuff like Beat Saber, Audica, etc. where you're still and things are moving at you I'm fine with. Almost anything that requires you moving I get motion sickness. It doesn't even have to be an action title. Myst I have to use the "jump to move" option over the free motion. It has to do with your brain seeing motion but not getting any of the other motion feedback from your other senses. I really wish I could get past it.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's usually games with free motion that do it to me. Stuff like Beat Saber, Audica, etc. where you're still and things are moving at you I'm fine with. Almost anything that requires you moving I get motion sickness. It doesn't even have to be an action title. Myst I have to use the "jump to move" option over the free motion. It has to do with your brain seeing motion but not getting any of the other motion feedback from your other senses. I really wish I could get past it.
Arizona sunshine automatically loads up as the jump to move feature vs freemotion for the same reason. Over time, I have found I grew a tolerance to freemotion gaming but I'm not 100% tolerant yet.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Arizona sunshine automatically loads up as the jump to move feature vs freemotion for the same reason. Over time, I have found I grew a tolerance to freemotion gaming but I'm not 100% tolerant yet.

Maybe I need to try playing Myst some more with it to try to build up a tolerance. I had avoided it because, like @puckhead, it usually last for a couple hours after even if I don't do like 10-15 minutes of playtime.

It could be that I need a better headset with a better resolution and refresh rate too and that the Oculus doesn't cut it for me. I'm a little bit sensitive to it, even with regular games. Like Portal I could only play for 5 minutes at a time or I'd literally throw up. It was something with how that engine worked. The Orange Box was one of the game that I had to return. Portal 2 with the new engine didn't give me any issues.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I need to try playing Myst some more with it to try to build up a tolerance. I had avoided it because, like @puckhead, it usually last for a couple hours after even if I don't do like 10-15 minutes of playtime.

It could be that I need a better headset with a better resolution and refresh rate too and that the Oculus doesn't cut it for me. I'm a little bit sensitive to it, even with regular games. Like Portal I could only play for 5 minutes at a time or I'd literally throw up. It was something with how that engine worked. The Orange Box was one of the game that I had to return. Portal 2 with the new engine didn't give me any issues.

Which quest do you have? I'm on a quest 2 so not sure about quest one. Also, have you tried anything since they changed the FOV? Now, when in headset, to the far right and far left, there are blinders. It seems to help me a bit already with the smaller FOV. A few hours of sickness is quite extreme, don't let me talk you into dealing with that again!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Which quest do you have? I'm on a quest 2 so not sure about quest one. Also, have you tried anything since they changed the FOV? Now, when in headset, to the far right and far left, there are blinders. It seems to help me a bit already with the smaller FOV. A few hours of sickness is quite extreme, don't let me talk you into dealing with that again!

I have the original Quest. I won't be getting the Quest 2 now that you have to tie it to a Facebook account and with them starting to insert ads into the games. I'll wait and hopefully Value's rumored standalone headset will see the light of day. I haven't even used mine much in the last 6 months since I got my puppy. For awhile it was impossible to wear it if she was awake.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the original Quest. I won't be getting the Quest 2 now that you have to tie it to a Facebook account and with them starting to insert ads into the games. I'll wait and hopefully Value's rumored standalone headset will see the light of day. I haven't even used mine much in the last 6 months since I got my puppy. For awhile it was impossible to wear it if she was awake.

yeah I ended up making a fake facebook account to use the quest 2 since I do not use facebook. A different creator was always in my eyes but they are all slacking off on getting it done for some reason. Crazy to me that there have been two standalone headsets and the other VR companies have not jumped all over getting into that category.

If someone else makes one, it would probably be my go to for my next gen VR, even if I have to rebuy games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose