Vikings (History)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone still watching this? It's on its last season. Right now, I'm 2 seasons behind. All saved on my dvr and trying to catch up.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone still watching this? It's on its last season. Right now, I'm 2 seasons behind. All saved on my dvr and trying to catch up.
I am. Not quite the same after Ragnar, but I still really like it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's become so awful I only put it on in the background. There were a few interesting bits after Ragnar, but it went downhill pretty fast. I was very much behind the Ragnar decision, as it was his sons that created a lot of history, but they haven't handled it very well.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much still watching it because it's almost over. I've invested too much time to walk away in the final season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much still watching it because it's almost over. I've invested too much time to walk away in the final season.

It's recovered a bit for me. There have actually been interesting episodes that I really liked. However, with so much of the original cast now out of the picture it's hard. I am in until the end though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's become so awful I only put it on in the background. There were a few interesting bits after Ragnar, but it went downhill pretty fast. I was very much behind the Ragnar decision, as it was his sons that created a lot of history, but they haven't handled it very well.
Yup the Ragnar story was great. Kinda wish they more fully fleshed out the Bjorn story. The other brothers are meh. Even the evil one isn’t much interesting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm binge watching to catch up I think I have about 6 now to catch up. Not as good as the early seasons but I still like it.

Ragnar was awesome but I do like Ivar, I think they squandered Bjorn quite a bit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm binge watching to catch up I think I have about 6 now to catch up. Not as good as the early seasons but I still like it.

Ragnar was awesome but I do like Ivar, I think they squandered Bjorn quite a bit.

I finally finished the first half of season 6 so now I need the 2nd half to come out which is apparently still months out. I actually liked quite a bit of Season 6. Not sure where they are going with Ivar's dead wife and Katia appearing to be here, just when you think he's the only one who sees her that way(Hsvitserk didn't agree) she shows up to him wearing a blond wig as if to confuse you.

What struck me about the early seasons was in an extremely violent show the acting was so good, Ragnar, Lagertha, Floki etc they're all really good actors. I feel the same way about Ivar, this is the guys first job as an actor I think he's remarkably good in the role.

We watched a remake of Kon Tiki recently and the guy who plays Floki is in that movie, he's good in that but I think he's exceptional in Vikings. While I agree Floki in Iceland never quite lived up to the promise I think the actors portrayal is just awesome, his entire family is actors, his dad and 2 brothers are all actors too.

Apparently there is still talk of a spinoff on Netflix that would focus on Eric the Red who's active in Season 6.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally finished the first half of season 6 so now I need the 2nd half to come out which is apparently still months out. I actually liked quite a bit of Season 6. Not sure where they are going with Ivar's dead wife and Katia appearing to be here, just when you think he's the only one who sees her that way(Hsvitserk didn't agree) she shows up to him wearing a blond wig as if to confuse you.

What struck me about the early seasons was in an extremely violent show the acting was so good, Ragnar, Lagertha, Floki etc they're all really good actors. I feel the same way about Ivar, this is the guys first job as an actor I think he's remarkably good in the role.

We watched a remake of Kon Tiki recently and the guy who plays Floki is in that movie, he's good in that but I think he's exceptional in Vikings. While I agree Floki in Iceland never quite lived up to the promise I think the actors portrayal is just awesome, his entire family is actors, his dad and 2 brothers are all actors too.

Apparently there is still talk of a spinoff on Netflix that would focus on Eric the Red who's active in Season 6.

Rollo is supposed to be in season 6. I hope the Floki story is resolved, if he died when he went towards that vision (volcanic activity?) it wasn't clear. Also, England...

Seems like a lot for 10 episodes to cover.

There is going to be a continuation of it on Netflix of 24 episodes.

In the meantime, if you guys haven't watched "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix you definitely want to check it out! Same time period, lots of same names, .... awesome take on that part of time. We decided after season 4 that it is actually better than Vikings.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rollo is supposed to be in season 6. I hope the Floki story is resolved, if he died when he went towards that vision (volcanic activity?) it wasn't clear. Also, England...

In the meantime, if you guys haven't watched "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix you definitely want to check it out! Same time period, lots of same names, .... awesome take on that part of time. We decided after season 4 that it is actually better than Vikings.

We don't have Netflix but may have to get it to see the Vikings spinoff so then we can watch Last Kingdom too.

thanks

Stout

Reaction score

I agree, and it's not even close for me. Early seasons, Vikings was solid. Each actor was nails in their respective role. Ragnar had to die to further the story, because his sons did go on to do notable things, but there they really failed. The casting of the sons was awful, except for Ivar. And the writing for Ivar is often bad. The writing overall fell off. Which, sadly, makes sense. Good writers got a hit show, so they probably left for bigger pay and bigger jobs. Meanwhile, except for a bit of a lull, Last Kingdom has been nails throughout.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, and it's not even close for me. Early seasons, Vikings was solid. Each actor was nails in their respective role. Ragnar had to die to further the story, because his sons did go on to do notable things, but there they really failed. The casting of the sons was awful, except for Ivar. And the writing for Ivar is often bad. The writing overall fell off. Which, sadly, makes sense. Good writers got a hit show, so they probably left for bigger pay and bigger jobs. Meanwhile, except for a bit of a lull, Last Kingdom has been nails throughout.

"Uhtred, son of Uhtred." "Destiny is all." :)

I do miss King Alfred, but season four was still great without him.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I still enjoy it. Not as much as with Ragnar, but little was going to compare to him.

Not loving where they took Bjorn.

And in reading more of the actual history I don’t think i understand their need to muck it up as much as they did. Could’ve been just as compelling, imo, if they had tried to stick closer to truths.

And the Floki story is just so blah. I know Floki was one of a few Vikings that “found” Iceland over the years, but the story really hasn’t unfolded in any interesting way.

I lost History Channel a few years ago when I dropped DTV, so I had to wait for netflix dvds to finish this off. Not really worth it. As everyone mentioned the show sorta died after Ragnar's death.

Definitely agree with what I bolded above. I thought Floki was the second most interesting supporting character after Athelstan. I kept waiting for his Iceland story to get going but it never did.

I wish HBO or netflix would do a great vikings show. Heck I would even watch a new show about Ragnar.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally finished Vikings this weekend. For a show that's that long it's hard to have a satisfying ending but honestly I thought the last 4-5 episodes were really good.

Without Ragnar the show wasn't the same absolutely but I thought the last half season they did a nice job of wrapping things up.

The one thing about that show that I thought was really impressive was it illustrated how they were able to travel all over the world because they had such faith on if they died, they'd go to Valhalla, that they weren't afraid to get on a boat and go. Really well acted.

If you watched most of the way through I recommend finishing it for closure.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally finished Vikings this weekend. For a show that's that long it's hard to have a satisfying ending but honestly I thought the last 4-5 episodes were really good.

Without Ragnar the show wasn't the same absolutely but I thought the last half season they did a nice job of wrapping things up.

The one thing about that show that I thought was really impressive was it illustrated how they were able to travel all over the world because they had such faith on if they died, they'd go to Valhalla, that they weren't afraid to get on a boat and go. Really well acted.

We just finished it recently and it is definitely a top 3 series for me. It was an impossible task to replace Ragnar with someone just as interesting. But, you are right the last half of the last season was the best post Ragnar part, IMO.

The people that created this series are now going to Netflix where they will have a series called "Vikings Vahalla". I hope this series gets into the Normans and the conquest of England. The Rollo plot of the series was the major unfinished business.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think I finished it, as the History channel did a poor, poor job of letting people know it was coming back. Don't think I would have cared to finish it, TBH. It was always going to be tough, post Ragnar, though Ragnar had to die to finish the series. About the only two good casting choices were Bjorn and Ivar. The rest...like, I'm supposed to believe these are peak Viking warriors? Just pathetic. The writing didn't help, not even a little. So, meh.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just finished it recently and it is definitely a top 3 series for me. It was an impossible task to replace Ragnar with someone just as interesting. But, you are right the last half of the last season was the best post Ragnar part, IMO.

The people that created this series are now going to Netflix where they will have a series called "Vikings Vahalla". I hope this series gets into the Normans and the conquest of England. The Rollo plot of the series was the major unfinished business.

I guess I will eventually have to get Netflix then to pick up that series there.

The guy who plays Ivar I followed him on Instagram it turns out he was acting in leading roles 4 years before Vikings when he was just 18. 22 when he started in Vikings 26 now. I don't know it he'll be one of those typecast guys who can never break out of the Ivar the Boneless role or not but he's a really good actor.

We saw the Lagertha actress in some movie recently the movie was terrible, hard to judge her acting because the movie was just so stupid.

I still think the guy who played Floki should be winning awards for best actor in a tv series that guy WAS Floki.

GF didn't watch any of the last 2 seasons she just couldn't take the violence anymore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah I agree. I actually found the Russian and new world elements watchable. It wrapped up okay for me.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I don't think I finished it, as the History channel did a poor, poor job of letting people know it was coming back. Don't think I would have cared to finish it, TBH. It was always going to be tough, post Ragnar, though Ragnar had to die to finish the series. About the only two good casting choices were Bjorn and Ivar. The rest...like, I'm supposed to believe these are peak Viking warriors? Just pathetic. The writing didn't help, not even a little. So, meh.

Haha, yes they did. I thought I finished the series, but then I discovered I had more episodes to watch because another season popped up on netflix lol.

I'm definitely done now. The last three dvds, which I guess was season 6 or the second half of 6 or something, was actually really good.

Wrapping up the Floki storyline was awesome and worth the wait. At that point he was the only character I really cared about.

Great ending. I wish HBO or Netflix would decide to do this story right. Could be amazing as a 100 episode show on those networks.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, yes they did. I thought I finished the series, but then I discovered I had more episodes to watch because another season popped up on netflix lol.

I'm definitely done now. The last three dvds, which I guess was season 6 or the second half of 6 or something, was actually really good.

Wrapping up the Floki storyline was awesome and worth the wait. At that point he was the only character I really cared about.

Great ending. I wish HBO or Netflix would decide to do this story right. Could be amazing as a 100 episode show on those networks.
Have you tried "Vikings Valhalla" on Netflix? It is the same authors, jumping ahead a 100 or so years to Leif Erickson.

I enjoyed season 1 a lot more than I expected too. Especially the last four episodes or so. Much better than say, season 5 of Vikings.

The Ragnar seasons of Vikings can't be matched though. That character was special.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Have you tried "Vikings Valhalla" on Netflix? It is the same authors, jumping ahead a 100 or so years to Leif Erickson.

I enjoyed season 1 a lot more than I expected too. Especially the last four episodes or so. Much better than say, season 5 of Vikings.

The Ragnar seasons of Vikings can't be matched though. That character was special.
Yeah, the Ragnar seasons were awesome. I did check out Vikings Valhalla. It was pretty cool, but it didn't capture the magic of Ragnar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose