Vikings guy thinks Zimmer outcoached Kliff

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend who's a Cardinals fan sent to me.

I'm not a huge Kliff defender so it doesn't bug me to suggest an NFL coach outcoached him even in a game we won but I do have to say we put up 34 points with no short fields, as the article says, and could easily have had 37 to 41 if they call the penalty on the 2nd INT. So if Kliff can be outcoached, they can "figure Kliff out" and make Kyler put the ball in less talented hands, and we still put up that many points and yards I'm pretty happy?

Long season there will be adjustments, there will be issues the team will have to fight through but honestly I really feel like Green is better outside than Kirk was, Kirk is better inside than Fitz was and Rondale so far has been great so I'm pretty happy. If we still had Arnold this offense would be scary.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm not a huge Kliff defender so it doesn't bug me to suggest an NFL coach outcoached him even in a game we won but I do have to say we put up 34 points with no short fields, as the article says, and could easily have had 37 to 41 if they call the penalty on the 2nd INT. So if Kliff can be outcoached, they can "figure Kliff out" and make Kyler put the ball in less talented hands, and we still put up that many points and yards I'm pretty happy?

Long season there will be adjustments, there will be issues the team will have to fight through but honestly I really feel like Green is better outside than Kirk was, Kirk is better inside than Fitz was and Rondale so far has been great so I'm pretty happy. If we still had Arnold this offense would be scary.

Dan Arnold: 5 - 61 - 0

Maxx Williams*: 7 - 94 - 0

* and this guy can block.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Arnold: 5 - 61 - 0

Maxx Williams*: 7 - 94 - 0

* and this guy can block.

yes but ask yourself if Arnold caught the same balls as Maxx did in week 2 would he not have gotten more yards? I love Maxx don't get me wrong I would just love to have retained Arnold too. Maxx better blocker, Arnold better receiver, especially in the redzone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zimmer no doubt had his team better prepared coming out of the gates, but Cardinals eventually had too much offensive firepower for Zimmer’s defense to stop. Unfortunately, a pick 6, a missed blatant penalty on the 2nd INT, and a roughing the kicker penalty almost derailed our efforts. Cardinals still have to learn how to put teams away. We should have won that game by double digits.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think the Vikes offensive staff did a good job identifying that if they went 11 personnel, the Cards would go nickel with JJ Watt and Zach Allen as the only two defensive lineman -- and would be vulnerable on the back side of zone runs

Cards seem to fix that in the second half, so...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
yes but ask yourself if Arnold caught the same balls as Maxx did in week 2 would he not have gotten more yards? I love Maxx don't get me wrong I would just love to have retained Arnold too. Maxx better blocker, Arnold better receiver, especially in the redzone.
Maxx isn't just a better blocker. Arnold would be a meh blocker as a WR.

Maxx is a good blocking TE and isn't the embarrassment some Cardinals fans make him out to be.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Since Arnold is known as a past catching tight end, ask yourself if he would have been open enough to catch nine passes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
When your searching for moral victories that is the sign your team is not very good.
The Vikings are a decent team.

But its been shown how many times Murray also misses big plays downfield and this guy just acts like the win was all Murray.

The 77 yard TD to Moore was great scheme.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think he gets more yards. Maybe a couple.

The difference between a 4.78 TE and a 4.63 TE over the distances Williams run are tiny.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is funny, because take away the dumb pick 6 play and the foul that turned a TD into a pick and the score is 41-27. Hard to say that's out coached.

One bad decision by Kyler and one bad referee call kept the Vikings in it but Ive seen several analysts this week say the Cards were the better team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Zimmer no doubt had his team better prepared coming out of the gates, but Cardinals eventually had too much offensive firepower for Zimmer’s defense to stop. Unfortunately, a pick 6, a missed blatant penalty on the 2nd INT, and a roughing the kicker penalty almost derailed our efforts. Cardinals still have to learn how to put teams away. We should have won that game by double digits.

I concur. Listen, I'm no KK fan, and the Vikes CLEARLY out-coached VJ in the 1st half--by, like, a country mile--but MZ's claim is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Arnold is known as a past catching tight end, ask yourself if he would have been open enough to catch nine passes.

True but then others get open. Again I love Maxx, thrilled we have him, but having a bigger pass receiving threat at TE at certain times really helped us last year and I think could have this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Vikings - Seahawks game should be an interesting watch. Both have good offenses, neither have good defenses. Should be a fun game for neutrals.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think he gets more yards. Maybe a couple.

The difference between a 4.78 TE and a 4.63 TE over the distances Williams run are tiny.
Arnold tended to go down on contact.

I think all Cardinals fans would LOVE to have a more dynamic TE, but when healthy, Maxx is a decent all around TE.

It's just that the depth at the position sucks. Darrell Daniel's is a fringe player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arnold tended to go down on contact.

I think all Cardinals fans would LOVE to have a more dynamic TE, but when healthy, Maxx is a decent all around TE.

It's just that the depth at the position sucks. Darrell Daniel's is a fringe player.

I've always thought he was underused in the passing game. Maybe last weeks showing will wake Kliff up to that and we will get him more involved.

He wasn't a 2nd round draft pick because he can block.

(Also as we like to slate Keim's FA signings it's fair to say that Williams has been an underrated good one)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Arnold was a liability as a blocker. He was treated as a WR by opposing defenses

it matters because ideally -- if defenses matched Arnold by taking a DL or LB off and substituting a DB -- Arnold should make them pay via his blocking in the run game. He couldnt. So -- all subbing Arnold in got the offense was a king sized WR who wasnt a credible deep threat. (and BTW: this is why "Fitz as a TE!" doesnt work. Same dynamic).

Kittle and Kelce are great TEs because if they line up in line, they are outstanding blockers. The offense doesnt give up running capabilities with them in the lineup.