Vance Joseph is DC

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
one year DC, like wilks.

and a DB coach before that.

Hired as HC after one season of DC

Literally the same resume as wilks.
Following that logic, Vince Lombardi was a HC. Wilks was a HC. They both share similar resumes. Therefore Wilks = Lombardi.

That said- when it comes to predicting coaching success....one never knows. But, based on his write-ups, Joseph sounds like a good hire

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In other news Wilkes is interviewing with Cleveland. Man if he gets that gig, that game gets more and more interesting!

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The other big distinction is that Joseph isn't a one year DC guy coming in here to be DC. He's just been a head coach for the last two years.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points but they are two different people and VJ won more games at HC than Wilks.

Bowles wasn't much better as DC at Miami and Philly. Certainly not better as HC for Jets (same wins as KJ and bad defense).

I would have still preferred Bowles but KJ is a good option for us at this time

Again I do not dislike the hire but I am not elated either. I was hoping for someone with more DC experience.

Following that logic, Vince Lombardi was a HC. Wilks was a HC. They both share similar resumes. Therefore Wilks = Lombardi

What? Youre off your rocker. I am simply saying their resumes are nearly identical. db coach for years, one year DC and hired as HC. Only real difference is Vance lasted more than one year in DEN and did not coach as poorly. I am ONLY comparing the resume.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
primary benefit for this hire is we explained last years problems along with what we want this year, he still interviewed elsewhere and still chose us.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Underwhelming. But..... ok

Want ot make a huge splash? Marvin Lewis.
Want to throw a pebble in the ocean? Vance Joseph.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
If he's a 34 DC and he is, Im fine with it. Our players running a system they excel in will make him look a lot better than maybe he should be like previous DCs running the 34 here.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
one year DC, like wilks.

and a DB coach before that.

Hired as HC after one season of DC

Literally the same resume as wilks.

Wilks is a fine DC. We're not bringing him in to be the HC. Some guys are just better coordinators. Wasn't Bowles a DB coach

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Wilks is a fine DC. We're not bringing him in to be the HC. Some guys are just better coordinators. Wasn't Bowles a DB coach
Is he a fine DC? Once he was back on the market, I didn't see a ground swell of teams running to interview him (despite numerous DC jobs)...

The Panthers have been a defensive stalwart for a while.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how you came to this conclusion? Because his one year as DC in Miami, they were ranked 29th in yards and 18th in points. Not a huge body of work to go on but I'm not doing hand springs just yet.

Yup.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’m sure he’s a capable defensive coordinator but all that’s left is hiring McAdoo as OC so Steve can surround Kingsbury with 2 guys who would only be rivaled by Steve Wilks as the worst hires of the past 3 seasons.

Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure he’s a capable defensive coordinator but all that’s left is hiring McAdoo as OC so Steve can surround Kingsbury with 2 guys who would only be rivaled by Steve Wilks as the worst hires of the past 3 seasons.
:biglaugh:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and 2 ex (disgruntled????) NFL H Cs advising a rookie NFL HC. What could go wrong there?

Reactions: HGC

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think it would be cool if they spent the $$ and brought in someone like a Pagano to be the assistant Head Coach and give him way more responsibility than most in this position to help grow KK and manage aspects of the management that would keep KK from the focus the O will require. If anyone saw the film Vice, kind of like Cheney's role to W.

You think Joseph came cheap? The guy was just an NFL Head coach.