Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was a hell of a lot of fun. Great stunning visuals, as you would expect. A wonderful ride, but with plenty of social commentary too. And an interesting observation I had about Besson, this movie, and the Fifth Element.

What's with Besson slaying his muse, in the form of the great artists, in each of these movies? Curious :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Release date: July 21, 2017
Studio: STX Entertainment
Director: Luc Besson
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi violence and action, suggestive material and brief language)
Screenwriter: Luc Besson
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure

Starring: Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen, Rihanna , Ethan Hawke, Herbie Hancock, Kris Wu, Rutger Hauer, Elizabeth Debicki

Plot Summary: "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" is the visually spectacular new adventure film from Luc Besson, the legendary director of "The Professional," "The Fifth Element" and "Lucy," based on the ground-breaking comic book series which inspired a generation of artists, writers and filmmakers.

In the 28th century, Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and Laureline (Cara Delevingne) are a team of special operatives charged with maintaining order throughout the human territories. Under assignment from the Minister of Defense, the two embark on a mission to the astonishing city of Alpha—an ever-expanding metropolis where species from all over the universe have converged over centuries to share knowledge, intelligence and cultures with each other. There is a mystery at the center of Alpha, a dark force which threatens the peaceful existence of the City of a Thousand Planets, and Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was a hell of a lot of fun. Great stunning visuals, as you would expect. A wonderful ride, but with plenty of social commentary too. And an interesting observation I had about Besson, this movie, and the Fifth Element.

What's with Besson slaying his muse, in the form of the great artists, in each of these movies? Curious :)
I am literally stunned by this post.

Stunned, I tell you!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Fifth Element I am going to see this in 3D just to see the spectacle of it all.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I get a John Carter vibe off it.

Overly heavy CGI action-alien planet movies dont do as well as they think. Look at Jupiter Ascending.

Also throwing in too many non-actor famous people in prominent roles is a major red flag.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a John Carter vibe off it.

Overly heavy CGI action-alien planet movies dont do as well as they think. Look at Jupiter Ascending.

Also throwing in too many non-actor famous people in prominent roles is a major red flag.

This will definitely be a flop, but with Luc Besson throwing everything he has at the screen, I'm definitely going to see it. Between The Professional, Fifth Element and most of Lucy, I know I'm going to get a show at the very worst.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This will definitely be a flop, but with Luc Besson throwing everything he has at the screen, I'm definitely going to see it. Between The Professional, Fifth Element and most of Lucy, I know I'm going to get a show at the very worst.

flopped HARD opening weekend.

Between that and the 54% its got on rotten tomatoes, looks like this is a dead on Jupiter Ascending.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wanted to like it. There were even times where I would kinda get into it, but then another 10 minute chase scene would happen and I would tune out again.

Way too long, meandering plot, really bad acting, absurd action sequences that bordered on Transformers esque... Just not my cup of tea. I really wanted to see Dunkirk and my Dad was like oh cmon Valerian is gonna be cool! Then he slept through the whole movie while I suffered lol.

I guess some of the star wars references were kinda tongue in cheek, but still there were times when it felt like it was trying really, really hard to be star wars. The dude was even doing his best Han Solo impression for the first half, and yes, they end up in a garbage shoot at one point.

I liked the Jabba the hut guy; "Valerian wherever you go I will find you and kill you." It's like an anime troupe lol:

"This isn't over, you'll definitely see me again!" (and we'll never see him again!)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to like it. There were even times where I would kinda get into it, but then another 10 minute chase scene would happen and I would tune out again.

Way too long, meandering plot, really bad acting, absurd action sequences that bordered on Transformers esque... Just not my cup of tea. I really wanted to see Dunkirk and my Dad was like oh cmon Valerian is gonna be cool! Then he slept through the whole movie while I suffered lol.

I guess some of the star wars references were kinda tongue in cheek, but still there were times when it felt like it was trying really, really hard to be star wars. The dude was even doing his best Han Solo impression for the first half, and yes, they end up in a garbage shoot at one point.

I liked the Jabba the hut guy; "Valerian wherever you go I will find you and kill you." It's like an anime troupe lol:

"This isn't over, you'll definitely see me again!" (and we'll never see him again!)

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Actually, Valarian pre-dates SW by almost 10yrs and was quite influential in Lucas making SW. Its influence on scifi is quite far reaching; specifically the artwork

http://www.popularyoutube.com/video...a-valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually, Valarian pre-dates SW by almost 10yrs and was quite influential in Lucas making SW. Its influence on scifi is quite far reaching; specifically the artwork

http://www.popularyoutube.com/video...a-valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets

Very interesting! But well, the movie didn't predate starwars by any years. I was talking more about the styling of the film and the way certain scenes were, that were a complete star wars ripoff. They even ended up in a trash compactor at one point lol.

Like I also said, maybe some of it was tongue in cheek, especially with your post in mind, but there comes a point where it's just eye rolling lol.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I couldn't get into this at all. Definitely not my cup of tea.

The most interesting thing about this film for me is that it had Herbie Hancock in it. I had totally forgotten about him, so I had to watch his Rockit video. Very nostalgic. I was 9 when this video came out and my cousin and I watched MTV nonstop.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get into this at all. Definitely not my cup of tea.

The most interesting thing about this film for me is that it had Herbie Hancock in it. I had totally forgotten about him, so I had to watch his Rockit video. Very nostalgic. I was 9 when this video came out and my cousin and I watched MTV nonstop.

It took 3 viewings before we could actually get all the way through it. It's not exactly a horrible movie but it falls short on so many levels. From a genre standpoint, it's definitely our cup of team but even though we are huge Luc Besson fans, this one was a waste of time and money. And we watch Tommy Boy far too often to ever forget the name Herbie Hancock.

Stout

Reaction score

WT actual F was I thinking with this post? Dear lord, this movie was hideously bad. I remember it being bad, and went looking for my post eviscerating it. I think I was carried away by the movie buddy who I watched it with, who loves these kinds of movies and had a good time. Wow, I can be wrong, but how could I be this wrong?

I am literally stunned by this post.

Stunned, I tell you!

This sarcasm was sooo justified, Chap!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WT actual F was I thinking with this post? Dear lord, this movie was hideously bad. I remember it being bad, and went looking for my post eviscerating it. I think I was carried away by the movie buddy who I watched it with, who loves these kinds of movies and had a good time. Wow, I can be wrong, but how could I be this wrong?

This sarcasm was sooo justified, Chap!

This sentence is kind of funny to me. You're questioning yourself for :gasp: enjoying a movie. It's like you're not having a good time unless you are tortured or something. Nothing wrong with that, of course. :)

Stout

Reaction score
This sentence is kind of funny to me. You're questioning yourself for :gasp: enjoying a movie. It's like you're not having a good time unless you are tortured or something. Nothing wrong with that, of course. :)

No, it's more that I enjoyed the time I had going out with my friend, and let the glow of that light the movie for me :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
It took 3 viewings before we could actually get all the way through it. It's not exactly a horrible movie but it falls short on so many levels. From a genre standpoint, it's definitely our cup of team but even though we are huge Luc Besson fans, this one was a waste of time and money. And we watch Tommy Boy far too often to ever forget the name Herbie Hancock.

Ha! I forgot about that scene from Tommy Boy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! I forgot about that scene from Tommy Boy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah, it actually comes up a second time too in that movie when Spade asks for a signature.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson