Update on Berry

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definitely conjecture. But I dont see how Berry not showing up and being displeased is a rumor?

It wasn't until suddenly there were "Bold declarations that he will be cut" and his "sub par year with nothing left in the tank"

Up next will come character assassination and who knows what else. After Leinart and Q (Let's not forget Rackers), I just grow weary of it. It is like people can't wait to see someone fall from grace.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and that Fitz guy too. Wow was he a team cancer...

Seriously this board tosses every player under the bus at the drop of a hat. It gets old.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't until suddenly there were "Bold declarations that he will be cut" and his "sub par year with nothing left in the tank"

Up next will come character assassination and who knows what else. After Leinart and Q (Let's not forget Rackers), I just grow weary of it. It is like people can't wait to see someone fall from grace.

I see what your saying.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The issue may come down to how disgruntled he is versus his value because for $1M if he becomes a locker room distraction you may be better off with out him. We don't have that luxury with Dockett and Boldin but if there is significant progress with the rookies he may find himself on the wire.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban has a large write up on Berry in his blog today.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Berry singed the contract so the only person he should be mad at is himself...

However, I will not bash him, for this is a voluntary camp and Berry did restructure his contract--I believe twice--to help the team in the past. He is on the downside of his career, but we need him for at least one more season.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban's blog explains it well. Berry has been demoted by our defensive coordinator because we will play more true 3-4 defense. Haggans and Okeafor are a better fit and will be the starters. Read the rest yourselves:

http://www.azcardinals.com/blog/blog.php?author=1

Well, maybe he'd rather be released then in the chance of catching on where he might be used more to his liking.

Sorry chris sanders, but Berry skipping all of OTAs doesn't make much sense.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Bertrand Berry is really important to our team, but his sense of self importance cost him money.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny that people claim they take players absences from OTAs as not "big" news. Some even say it isn't news at all. O.K. Well, what if Boldin had shown-up for the last 2-3 days of OTAs? EVERYONE would be saying that was "big" news. EVERYONE. Call me a liar....

So my opinion about Bert's absence is that it is newsworthy. It's not big news, but it's the sort of thing that fans like to hear about (good or bad). I'm not too concerned about it, but I am interested.

What people might not be giving Bert credit for is that this might be a health-related absence. That's not to say he is injured, just has a lot of tread on the tires and might know that he's in for the fight of his life at TC in July/Aug. With the season lasting into 2009 (it's still hard to believe we made it that far), Bert might just be giving his body as much rest and rehab as he can.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I hope Bert comes out charging in Flagstaff.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And what I mean is everything is so overreacted to one way or the other right now. Not sure if it is the off season lack of news or whatever.

We yank wildly from one emotion to the other. I don't give a **** about some reporter's blog. Certainly not enough to make assumptions about the team's roster based on his opinion.

When someone misses something that actually matters, that is news. When someone gets cut or signs, that is news. When someone gets hurt, that is news.

This is rumor and conjecture. Why get worked up over it?

Yeah, 'cause someone upset about others being so-called drama queens should then turn into a drama queen lol

Sorry Chris, but you sound...I don't know, like someone crapped in your cheerios or something. I could see some of your outrageously silly venom was spewed at me, so I shall retort. I like Berry and, at his price tag, would love to keep him on the team. I can very much see the team decided to cut ties with him, though, the way events are unfolding. He's just not worth that much any more to the team, IMO, and if Whis decides his leadership role is evaporating, then the team may well decide to get rid of him.

Chris, please man, relax. It's the calm before the storm, and nothing's happening. People are going to natter on about what many people think is a whole lot of nothing. This is a message board and so, while you might not like the topics, these kinds of topics will continue to be discussed. Feel free to stick with the rest of the board if that tickles your fancy, while the rest of us 'drama queens' (or kings, as I'd prefer to be called :) ) talk amongst ourselves.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I really do not care at Berry's age if he does not show up for freaking voluntary workouts because that is less time on the field he could get hurt and the guy is a vet and won't be behind. As far as it being nice for him to show up and teach...well, Whis gave the answer all coaches would have gave to set a tone for the younger players but this is no big thing. Again, he is a vet and these workouts are voluntary

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised by some of your reactions. He's a veteran and being a veteran knows what he's doing. He might be a bit affraid of getting injured in the practices? :shrug: Bottom line is that he's a veteran and not a young gun. If he was a young gun there would be a reason to worry, but as a veteran he knows what is expected of him and what it will take to get there. I really don't think this is a big deal at all.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised by some of your reactions. He's a veteran and being a veteran knows what he's doing. He might be a bit affraid of getting injured in the practices? :shrug: Bottom line is that he's a veteran and not a young gun. If he was a young gun there would be a reason to worry, but as a veteran he knows what is expected of him and what it will take to get there. I really don't think this is a big deal at all.

I don't think this is a big deal for him at all as a player because of exactly what you just said. I think it's hurting him twofold, in that the younger guys are getting more of a look and that Coach Whis seems to be getting upset with him. What I'm reading into it is Whis might just think he's losing his leadership spot on the team, which IMO is a large part of why he's still here.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if this idea has been posted, but why wouldn't the contract include a "result provision", where he could earn additional monies if he achieved certain goals, in either games played or sacks achieved? I believe that money, if earned, would count against next year's CAP, if there is one.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Thats the optimist in all of us talking but not reality IMO.

Being a veteran doesnt matter in this case. He is on the same level as everyone else because just like everyone else a brand new scheme is being implemented. Berry will have to workout as a real LB for the first time since he first came into the league years ago, and he wasnt working out as a LB last year, he was working out as a rush end. Berry might pick things up faster because he is more familiar with the terminology, and the coaches, but working out as a standup LB in this scheme is just as new to him as it is Cody Brown or Will Davis.

Especially for a guy who's strong suit is not standing up and playing LB like Urban stated in his blog. But hey we are not allowed to trust that blog because its only his opinion which is actually based on inside knowledge, talking with coaches, talking with players, and watching practices everyday. You know things we cant do as fans. So we should trust our guts more then an actual informed opinion.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Urban's blog explains it well. Berry has been demoted by our defensive coordinator because we will play more true 3-4 defense. Haggans and Okeafor are a better fit and will be the starters...readthe rest yourselves:

http://www.azcardinals.com/blog/blog.php?author=1
There it is.

It's sad but inevitable that players nearing the end of their careers must face the prospect that, first they no longer automatically merit "most favorite nation" status among the veterans and later on must face the the fact that their career may be nearing an end.

Instead of sulking or missing a bunch of OTA's, Kurt Warner dealt with the same issue by working out with his teammates, playing his ass off, winning a starting role and then proving all the experts wrong by leading his team to the Super Bowl and earning a Pro Bowl spot.

I love B-Train. I think he makes our team better, and I can understand why his nose is out of joint, but if he truly believes he better than what folks are giving him credit for being, he should be willing to go out and prove he's still got game. (Hint - One way he could help this become a reality would be if he participated with his teammates in conditioning work and OTA's).

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
So none of you would have cared if Warner, Fitz, and Wilson all missed OTAs as well? They are veterans too.

Also veterans:

Reggie Wells
Mike Gandy
Clark Haggins
Gerald Hayes
Mike Gandy
Chike Okeafor

There's more, but I've made my point.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So none of you would have cared if Warner, Fitz, and Wilson all missed OTAs as well? They are veterans too.

Also veterans:

Reggie Wells
Mike Gandy
Clark Haggins
Gerald Hayes
Mike Gandy
Chike Okeafor

There's more, but I've made my point.

No I wouldn't because they are Optional Training Activities.

If someone misses Mandatory Training Camp...I care.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
No I wouldn't because they are Optional Training Activities.

If someone misses Mandatory Training Camp...I care.

I'm with Chris on this one, who really cares if he misses something voluntary. There's no fact given about why he missed, yet all the sudden it's cuz he's mad about his contract? Did he say that or did the blogger say it? If he skips training camp then I'd have an issue but not this one, not in June.
Wow the off season makes for some funny threads lol

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
This isn't like Bert... Until proven otherwise, I will believe there is something up - a very valid reason, as to why he did not participate...

I ask again if there was a valid reason why would the coach say he is dissappionted. Is the coach just being a jerk?

So either Berry has a good reason and hasnt bothered to talk to the coaches about it which would make Berry in the wrong and acting uncharacteristic. And if it is a good reason why not communicate with the coaches. No matter what its fishy and Berry is in the wrong. Heck even guys who miss OTA's let the coaches know whats going, at least the ones happy with their situations do, Edge even communicated to the coaches.

Or

He doesnt have a good reason and again Berry is in the wrong.

Either way Berry isnt acting like a profesional by not communicating with his bosses or just not showing up out of spite. It comes down to one quote by the head coach "I am dissappointed in Berry".

If the Head coach says he is dissapionted, a HC who has shown nothing but being a fair HC, I will also be dissappionted. Until proven otherwise in Wiz I trust right now, especially with the 3 trust worthy Cards insiders in the media backing his comments up with "conjecture" based on inside knowledge we dont have. Doubtfull that the HC and 3 media members are just trying to be jerks to Berry all at the same time.