Upcoming season of 'Big Bang Theory' will be its last

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Television, which produces the series, and CBS have announced that the comedy's upcoming Season 12 will be its last.
The show will conclude as the longest-running multi-camera sitcom in TV history, the studio said.
In a joint statement, Warner Bros. Television, CBS and Chuck Lorre Productions said: "We are forever grateful to our fans for their support of 'The Big Bang Theory' during the past twelve seasons. We, along with the cast, writers and crew, are extremely appreciative of the show's success and aim to deliver a final season, and series finale, that will bring 'The Big Bang Theory' to an epic creative close."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/22/entertainment/big-bang-theory-ending/index.html

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What does "multi-camera" mean?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are different formats for television show production, and the multi camera format is more like a stage play with a live audience. The single camera approach is shot without an audience in more of a movie style production.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always found this show to be meh at best.

Cotton candy

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always found this show to be meh at best.

Cotton candy

Different strokes for different folks. I think during it's best years it was one of the funniest shows of all time. I also think it's past time to put it to bed, it has grown somewhat stale the past few years IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This always looked like a show that made its bones by making fun of geek culture rather than uplifting or normalizing it.

I'd have to disagree. It did all of that. It mocked geek culture while it established them as the norm within their subculture (the world of academia) and frequently glorified them too.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was one of those shows where people that knew me would say, "you've got to watch this, you'll love it."

But catching a rerun every now and again, it never really did it for me. It wasn't bad or anything, but I just didn't see what the big deal was. I imagine it may have been different if I had started from the beginning and really made the effort. Maybe someday I'll binge from season one and I'll know if that was my problem.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
love big bang... but I always catch it in syndication...

did sheldon and amy get married?? or do you think that will be the grand finale??

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

did sheldon and amy get married?? or do you think that will be the grand finale??
That was the Season 11 finale

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's too bad, they always cut out so much in syndication.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. It did all of that. It mocked geek culture while it established them as the norm within their subculture (the world of academia) and frequently glorified them too.

Then I wouldn't like it. Shows like Eureka, Warehouse 13, and the like simply treat geek culture like it's perfectly fine and acceptable. My impression, given by people I know that watched and now backed up by your comments, was that the show was just looking to make money off geek culture by making fun of it rather than embracing it. Like some hot vanilla model with the same motivation: throw on a pair of thick-framed glasses and "oh my gawd, I'm a geek!" without knowing what Star Trek is. A poseur.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I wouldn't like it. Shows like Eureka, Warehouse 13, and the like simply treat geek culture like it's perfectly fine and acceptable. My impression, given by people I know that watched and now backed up by your comments, was that the show was just looking to make money off geek culture by making fun of it rather than embracing it. Like some hot vanilla model with the same motivation: throw on a pair of thick-framed glasses and "oh my gawd, I'm a geek!" without knowing what Star Trek is. A poseur.

Again, I don't agree. It felt, to me, like geeks making fun of themselves. And it felt like it showed them as the super heroes of their world, not just the Urkels. As a long time comic book reader, a member of the Chess Club and so on, I thought it portrayed us well. You may still not like it but I just don't buy that they didn't embrace the geek culture.

My son feels the same way as you but like you, he never gave it a chance. He's convinced that it is just another cheap shot at the smart kids that go to band camp or attend sci-fi, manga and anime conventions or spend their free time with computers, video games and the like. Each to their own, I think it's a (reasonably) smart and funny show written by and for geeks of all ages.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Series Finale last night. Subdued, but very good IMHO. Didn't try to do too much, but some great scenes.

Good cameos as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We loved the show for years but really didn't watch the last 2 seasons. For me Amy really ruined the show. Not in the way Priya nearly did early on where I just didn't like the character at all and made it tough to watch. For me I never bought that someone like Sheldon would actually be able to have a real relationship even as slow and "odd" as it was. My gf doesn't agree says it shows character growth etc.

I stopped getting into it because the characters changed too much for me in ways I just didn't find believable. For my gf it was more of it just went on too long, she actually thought it took them way too long to marry Sheldon and Amy where with me I just didn't buy it would actually happen. She watched the finale, I fell asleep half way through and will watch it on DVR eventually.

Seinfeld was much the same way for me, George marrying Susan sort of "broke" that show for me. With Amy she's almost Yoko Ono for me with that show.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We loved the show for years but really didn't watch the last 2 seasons. For me Amy really ruined the show. Not in the way Priya nearly did early on where I just didn't like the character at all and made it tough to watch. For me I never bought that someone like Sheldon would actually be able to have a real relationship even as slow and "odd" as it was. My gf doesn't agree says it shows character growth etc.

I stopped getting into it because the characters changed too much for me in ways I just didn't find believable. For my gf it was more of it just went on too long, she actually thought it took them way too long to marry Sheldon and Amy where with me I just didn't buy it would actually happen. She watched the finale, I fell asleep half way through and will watch it on DVR eventually.

Seinfeld was much the same way for me, George marrying Susan sort of "broke" that show for me. With Amy she's almost Yoko Ono for me with that show.

Even though Howard and Leonard got married as well?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though Howard and Leonard got married as well?

I could buy Leonard he was far less sheltered than Sheldon. Howard yeah it was more hard to believe a woman would marry such a momma's boy. But Sheldon was the really tough one he couldn't even hug a woman and he was just so socially awkward it was just hard for me to accept.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave