UofA vs Oregon

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stunning Cats win. Watched every play.

51 is all heart and smarts. Don't know if he can play on the next level but he was a huge factor last night.

Congratulations, UA. Not much can keep me from watching a Suns game but this did.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As you probably would've guessed considering my absence from the board, I was in the house for the game last night. Amazing win, not sure what the final outcome would've been with Dixon in the game (Arizona was moving the ball pretty much at will until they went conservative in the 2nd half) but I can still relish in the W.

I have no idea what it is with Mike Stoops, but every time the mob starts pounding on his front door to boot him out of town he finds a way out. #6 UCLA was his saving grace in 2005, the three W's including #8 Cal last year, and the #2 Duck squad last night. The guy can recruit, you can see the caliber of athletes he puts on the field and how they compete against top talent but something always seems missing.

And I for one am going to miss Antoine Cason and Spencer Larsen and their senior day was a big reason I decided to attend. They're both not only terrific players and Wildcats but probably better people which is a very rare combo in the sports world. I don't think Larsen will play on the next level as he's probably a bit too slow but I imagine he'll be successful in whatever he decides to do. As a player I'd compare him to Will Derting, formerly of Wazzu who was quite the playmaker in the Palouse but did not have the foot speed for the NFL.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between being happy with the result of the game and actually rooting for your rival. Bash me for my loyalty to my school all you want.

you ever hear the saying "cutting off the nose to spite your face?"

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you ever hear the saying "cutting off the nose to spite your face?"

I didn't want the Ducks to win out. Big difference between my stance and what you're implying with that cliche. Without Dixon healthy (he got hurt vs. the Devils...amazed he tried to play on one leg) the Ducks weren't going to win out. I'd rather have seen them lose one of their remaining two than this one.

Props to the Cats for being a tough opponent in the month of November. Too bad they can't schedule all of their games in that one month. :D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I didn't want the Ducks to win out. Big difference between my stance and what you're implying with that cliche. Without Dixon healthy (he got hurt vs. the Devils...amazed he tried to play on one leg) the Ducks weren't going to win out. I'd rather have seen them lose one of their remaining two than this one.

Props to the Cats for being a tough opponent in the month of November. Too bad they can't schedule all of their games in that one month. :D

Im thinking our first December game in awhile is going to be pretty good as well.;)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Care to explain the half-empty student section at SDS tonight?

Game was sold out weeks ago. It was Thanksgiving night and I personally know a lot of people, myself included, that chose being with family over going to the game.

Who knows? In all my years of going to ASU games, even when I was a student, I never sat in the student section. :shrug:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Game was sold out weeks ago. It was Thanksgiving night and I personally know a lot of people, myself included, that chose being with family over going to the game.

Who knows? In all my years of going to ASU games, even when I was a student, I never sat in the student section. :shrug:
Ah, now I get it. A bad UA team doesn't sell out against Oregon and they're bad fans. Half of the student section sits empty for a matchup of two top 10 teams and everything is justified.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I particularly enjoyed the ASU "fans", including Chuck, streaming for the exits at the end of the 3rd quarter.

:biglaugh:

If by Chuck you mean Charles Barkley - he's no Sun Devil fan. :doi:

He was at the game as a guest of Marcus Allen and his daughter attends UofA.

A lot of people sold their tickets. A lot of those in attendance weren't regulars.

No excuses - that's really bad to leave early. My dad used to always leave early to "beat the traffic."

Ever since I could control when I leave a game I've never left early. Win or lose, I'm usually one of the last to leave any sporting event I attend.

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
Half of the student section sits empty for a matchup of two top 10 teams and everything is justified.

I know you're smarter than this.

Student section. Thanksgiving weekend. Think some students who had season tickets might have flown home to see their families for the extended weekend? I remember the dorms at ASU clearing out that weekend during my Freshman year...

Can't justify anyone leaving at the end of the 3rd, however.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I know you're smarter than this.

Student section. Thanksgiving weekend. Think some students who had season tickets might have flown home to see their families for the extended weekend? I remember the dorms at ASU clearing out that weekend during my Freshman year...

Can't justify anyone leaving at the end of the 3rd, however.

ASU has 50k undergrads, 75% of which live in the state of Arizona. That's probably around 30k people available in the Phoenix metro area of which probably only 5-7k showed.

And it also doesn't excuse the AD for not seeing this coming. Those seats should've had butts even if it meant closing off half of the student section. How much revenue in ticket sales and concessions did ASU leave on the table by letting those seats go unused? You can't have empty seats for games like this, which is why Arizona puts unused student tix up for general admission sales during Thanksgiving weekend games.