UofA picked to come in fourth

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody else find the wording from Lute a little odd?

"Unfortunately, the other coaches that have come into this league have been really good coaches with good experiences. A while back, they used to hire an assistant from another program, now they are getting the best coaches they can get. With that, the recruiting efforts are something special. When i first came into the league 25 years ago, if you did a good job and got over the hump with one or two teams, you could deal with the others. It's not like that anymore. The quality of coaches that have come into the Conference and their recruiting ability have changed things."

I guess it's just the use of the word unfortunately, as if Lute is saying if not for those schools hiring better coaches we'd be winning the conference every year? Like the end of every Scooby Doo show, "if for not those meddling kids we'd have gotten away with it too."

:D

Should be a great year, I can't wait for things to start.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ah yes, UCLA fans and their Lute Olson complex. Kind of reminds me of a certain group from Tempe.

Considering how much Lute has lobbied for the Pac-10 (often by himself) over his career, I really doubt he said this with any malice. I'm guessing it was a tongue-in-cheek comment that only the neurotic ASU and UCLA fans will jump all over.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, UCLA fans and their Lute Olson complex. Kind of reminds me of a certain group from Tempe.

Considering how much Lute has lobbied for the Pac-10 (often by himself) over his career, I really doubt he said this with any malice. I'm guessing it was a tongue-in-cheek comment that only the neurotic ASU and UCLA fans will jump all over.

Just the choice of the word unfortunately. Maybe he just misspoke but it didn't come off as a guy who was saying this conference has really upgraded its coaches and that's a great thing. He's said that in the past and I've said repeatedly in the past that Lute FORCED the rest of the conference to do that because they were going to keep playing for 2nd place if they kept hiring nincompoops like Lavin as coach.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Just the choice of the word unfortunately. Maybe he just misspoke but it didn't come off as a guy who was saying this conference has really upgraded its coaches and that's a great thing. He's said that in the past and I've said repeatedly in the past that Lute FORCED the rest of the conference to do that because they were going to keep playing for 2nd place if they kept hiring nincompoops like Lavin as coach.

I like/fear Ben Howland.

But just for you Russ I hope this is the year we get our mojo back and reclaim our conference.

Really this entire time it might have just been Mustafa Shakur. Always just goodenough to break your heart...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's not just Shakur. Since Frye and Salim's class left (a class that produced 2 Pac-10 Championships, a Pac-10 Tourney Title, and Two Elite 8's) Arizona has yet to produce a career NBA player. Hassan? Marcus Williams? Ivan Radenovic? Shakur? Give me a break, Arizona has been marginal because they've had marginal players.

Arizona was elite because they produced Elliott, Buechler, Kerr, Rooks, Dele, Stoudamire, Mills, Bibby, Dickerson, Terry, RJ, Arenas, Walton, etc. and let the Shakur's and Radenovic's of the world be role players. When non-NBA players become the focal point of your squad then mediocrity is all that's to be expected. Thankfully, the recruiting is back on track as it wasn't post-Bobbi so we'll be fine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like/fear Ben Howland.

But just for you Russ I hope this is the year we get our mojo back and reclaim our conference.

Really this entire time it might have just been Mustafa Shakur. Always just goodenough to break your heart...

I think I told Mao this in a PM but maybe not. I actually think UA is the 2nd best team in the conference this year behind UCLA. Stanford has no guard play and now the Lopez grade thing. WSU snuck up on everyone last year, I think they'll be good but I don't think people overlook them as much. They will be top 4 I expect but I would probably rank UA and Oregon above them.

USC is the one I can't judge and that's just because they have so many unknown factors can they play together, injuries, grades, does Leonard Washington get in December(as is rumored) etc. USC is the most athletic team in the conference but impossible to predict.

McClellan has reportedley dropped 15 pounds and is not having the swelling in his knees which is great news such a promising kid before the injuries hate to see guys have those problems. I told Mao offline a friend of mine who sees a ton of AAU ball and talks to people in college alot says he thinks Bayless is a better prospect than mayo. Mayo is better right now but he's also a full year older than Bayless and my friend said he wouldn't be surprised if Bayless winds up a better player than Mayo even this year. Different situation Bayless won't have the green light Mayo does at USC but this guy says everyone talking about Mayo vs Love are completely missing the boat on how good Bayless is.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I know you 'die hard' UofA fans are going to hate me, since I am a Devil fan... sorry. But, I love Lute and love UofA Basketball - while living there, I tried to go to at least a game a year. I have never hated the UofA (except football), thus when graduate school came calling... I went there.

I have been very excited for this year for awhile. Glad to see Marcus Williams gone, Chase a year older, Mclellan is a senior, Bayless is finally playing (after years of anticipation). This could be a good run for the 'Cats. Though the Pac-10 is fantastic this year - UofA has the talent to go deep in the tourney, and finish top 2 in the conference. I love Jawann, and by the looks of the preseason game televised today, he is in great shape. This is going to be a fun year. Question, will Walters ever be any good? Isn't this his last year?

And here is the statement you will hate... I also hope Sendek is able to turn around the program at ASU and split with the 'Cats. We'll see. They should be much better, but the competition in the conference is better as well.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The UofA freshmen class is damn good. I like how O'Neill gave them a lot of playing time, especially Horne. This defense is night and day from last year and they have a lot of speed. This is going to be a better year than last year. By the way, Hill leads the league in dunks this year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UofA freshmen class is damn good. I like how O'Neill gave them a lot of playing time, especially Horne. This defense is night and day from last year and they have a lot of speed. This is going to be a better year than last year. By the way, Hill leads the league in dunks this year.

How did Bayless look? Lute has a special gift to use point guards like that (scoring point guards). Curious how STAFF handled him in Lute's absence.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Bayless' shot wasn't falling but he was terrific in creating for his teammates to the tune of eight assists against one turnover. Jamelle Horne was solid as well, although his shot needs some improvement.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Another solid effort for Jamelle Horne, probably earning him the starting nod next Tuesday against NAU. This will be the youngest Arizona team I have seen in quite a long time. KO/Lute will be starting two freshman, two sophomores, and a senior who has logged pretty minimal court time for an upperclassman.

The front court is pretty weak as well. After Jordan Hill, there's really nothing there. I expect a team similar to last couple years in terms of W/L, but the talent is there going forward. It's one thing being in the middle of the pack with a young team, another with veteran-laden squads.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another solid effort for Jamelle Horne, probably earning him the starting nod next Tuesday against NAU. This will be the youngest Arizona team I have seen in quite a long time. KO/Lute will be starting two freshman, two sophomores, and a senior who has logged pretty minimal court time for an upperclassman.

The front court is pretty weak as well. After Jordan Hill, there's really nothing there. I expect a team similar to last couple years in terms of W/L, but the talent is there going forward. It's one thing being in the middle of the pack with a young team, another with veteran-laden squads.

Before Fendi went down with shingles, Lute said he was playing very well that he had a shot to start at the #4 position. I think once Fendi is healthy, he should help with rebounding. Lute said he has really picked up that part of his game.

Horne is going to be a stud. he loves to play defense and he does have a decent offensive game. He kind of reminds me of Marion. I'm hoping Tangara can help out when Hill is on the bench.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of kids from the East are considering U of A. Up until a couple of years ago Texas was as far East as recruiting went. But now kids for NY, NC, GA are considering he Wildcats.

As far as our PG tradition we are set for the next few years. Bayless is here, next year we get Jennings, and the year after we get Abdul Gaddy. John Wall a 5 star PG out of NC is rated as the #1 PG in '09 and has U of A in his Top 5 as well.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Typical of what has become Arizona Basketball.

No killer instinct, no basketball IQ. It's going to be another long year: no Pac-10 title, first weekend exit.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Typical of what has become Arizona Basketball.

No killer instinct, no basketball IQ. It's going to be another long year: no Pac-10 title, first weekend exit.

It's the first game of the year! The Cats are probably the youngest team in the Pac-10 so you knew there would be games like this. I remember when people were saying the same thing in December of 2000 and look what happened. Let's be patient and see how this team grows before giving up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of kids from the East are considering U of A. Up until a couple of years ago Texas was as far East as recruiting went. But now kids for NY, NC, GA are considering he Wildcats.

As far as our PG tradition we are set for the next few years. Bayless is here, next year we get Jennings, and the year after we get Abdul Gaddy. John Wall a 5 star PG out of NC is rated as the #1 PG in '09 and has U of A in his Top 5 as well.

I think that's a cycle not a radical change. UCLA is the same way going after a lot more kids outside of LA. It's mainly because there aren't a lot of good bigs in the classes on the West Coast so teams are having to go East.

UCLA is doing it at SF even because it looks like Hollis Thompson(09) is going to Georgetown so most of their backup plans are East Coast guys. Hamilton the other good SF in the 09 class in LA doesn't have the grades for UCLA and apparently might be reclassified to 08 because he apparently was registered for the wrong grade a few years ago(ala Bill Walker) and the school just figured it out. So he actually might turn out to be a senior.

I think UA was recruiting him not sure now if they still are his grades have scared a lot of people off.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Huge win today for the Cats against #9 Texas AtM.

Jerryd Bayless is living up to the hype, the kid is an unbelievable player and unlike some past malcontents you can tell he plays for the name on the front of the jersey instead of the one on the back.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge win today for the Cats against #9 Texas AtM.

Jerryd Bayless is living up to the hype, the kid is an unbelievable player and unlike some past malcontents you can tell he plays for the name on the front of the jersey instead of the one on the back.

This goes along the lines of what I think of Mayo.. Im not sold on Mayo at all.. Never have been..

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Laval Lucas-Perry has decided to transfer per the Tucson Citizen. Too bad, this kid is going to be a terrific player for somebody starting next December but I can understand the playing time situation with Bayless staying 2, Jennings/Gaddy being committed, and Wise finally becoming a player. I wanted him to be the Jason Terry (who came off the bench his first three years) of this decade but it is what it is.

Now these things are usually already done deals before the transfer is announced, but there are two groups of fans on this board whose teams need to upgrade their talent at point guard - ASU and Illinois. Have no clue whether or not these schools have interest or if where LLP is going has been decided, but he's going to be a very good college player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose