UofA Offseason Thread

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Great week so far on the recruiting front... Now it's time to concentrate on our coaching staff. Heard on the radio during lunch today that Stoops was offering the OC position to Sonny Dykes, co-offensive coordinator with Texas Tech but that it has not yet been accepted. Again, I just heard it this afternoon on the radio (910, Gambo and Ash, I believe...). If he can bring Tech's high scoring offense to Arizona, I'm all for it.

Here's an article from earlier this week...

Candidate to interview for assistant job
You must be registered for see images

By Brad Allis
Editor-In-Chief
Posted Nov 27, 2006

Arizona’s search for a replacement for Mike Canales already has its first name. Sonny Dykes, the co-coordinator at Texas Tech has confirmed that he is a candidate for the job.

While Arizona has not officially announced whether it intends to hire a new offensive coordinator or hire from within and add a new position coach, Dykes confirmed to KMSB Fox 11 in Tucson that he would be in town on Thursday to discuss becoming the Wildcats’ new offensive coordinator.
“It feels like it is a good fit for all parties involved,” Dykes said.
Dykes is co-coordinator at Texas Tech, sharing the duties with head coach Mike Leach. Leach served one-year as offensive coordinator at Oklahoma with Mike Stoops.
“I have a lot of confidence in what Mike Stoops and Mark Stoops are doing,” Dykes noted.
The Red Raiders have one of the top offenses in the country, especially through the air. The team averaged 440 yards of total offense and 31.5 points a game utilizing a pass happy spread attack.
The Wildcats averaged 251 yards a game behind a young offensive line and an oft injured quarterback. Dykes, who is also Tech’s wide receivers coach, is the son of Spike Dykes, the school’s winningest coach. He’s the brother of Rick Dykes, a former Wildcat offensive coordinator under John Mackovic. Dykes was adamant that he was coming to interview for the job and that no offers had been made or accepted.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
It's been known pretty much since mid-season that Canales was gone. I think Coach Stoops has had his eye on Dykes for a while now.

If true, it will be interesting to see how our personnel fits with the new system.

According to Texas Tech fans, Dykes is also supposed to be an excellent recruiter. Hopefully, he can help expand the Texas pipeline.

BEAR DOWN!!!

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Good luck UA, I hope one day both AZ schools can improve and our rivalry can be more like FSU-Florida....however I hope UA never wins against ASU of course.

Future1984

Veteran
Reaction score
"According to Texas Tech fans, Dykes is also supposed to be an excellent recruiter. Hopefully, he can help expand the Texas pipeline"

Oh Yah Because Texas Tech is in the BCS all the time and competes for a BIG12 title all the time.

Texas Tech is a milder version of ASU

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
"According to Texas Tech fans, Dykes is also supposed to be an excellent recruiter. Hopefully, he can help expand the Texas pipeline"

Oh Yah Because Texas Tech is in the BCS all the time and competes for a BIG12 title all the time.

Believe it or not, TT recruits in Texas and Dykes has a lot of connections there, Genius. Why don't you go troll somewhere else? :rolleyes:

Future1984

Veteran
Reaction score
Okay WoW,

Texas Tech recruits well in Texas, so that means this offensive coordinator cant coach if hes got so much talent and they cant win the BIG12 or a BCS game.

GO DEVILS!!!
28-14

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Um, Texas Tech has had an inferior record than ASU just once since 1998 and four times since 1990. Both are marginal programs and considered barely second tier on the totem pole in their respective conferences, but to suggest ASU is superior to Tech is simply myopic.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Um, Texas Tech has had an inferior record than ASU just once since 1998 and four times since 1990. Both are marginal programs and considered barely second tier on the totem pole in their respective conferences, but to suggest ASU is superior to Tech is simply myopic.

Dont worry my friend, with Norm Chow as their OC next year, he alone will take the devils into the new phase of excellence of college football.

Don't believe me..
I think this rumor holds water.

I CANT WAIT TILL TOMMORROW.

GO DEVILS!!!
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1168999&postcount=7

:thumbup:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I love how this is meant to be a thread about UofA, nothing ASU related at all, and all these guys do is try to use it to bash UofA. Seriously, if you don't want to discuss it then you don't have to join the thread, but there is no reason to try to just spam it like that.

OP
OP
PAQ77

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Well, all I know is that Texas Tech has been a scoring machine for quite some time now. If he can bring 400+ yards and 30+ points per game, I'd be happy. The offense is the one thing that has been holding us back for the last two years.

I'd like to see how he'll use our three frosh WR's who are all 6'3" or taller...

OP
OP
PAQ77

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
A Look Ahead: Those Who Redshirted

Ricky Elmore
By Brad Allis
Editor-In-Chief
Posted Nov 30, 2006

The Arizona coaches are building for the future. They did not rush players to the field and redshirted as many players as they could. Let’s look at the players the Wildcats still have waiting in the wings.

Conan Amituanai Amituanai moved from DT to TE during the season and traveled with the team towards the end of the year. His future position is still up in the air. He could remain a TE, move to the OL or return to the d-line. He has talent and his versatility make him a very important part of this team.
Cody Anderson Anderson is one of many players who has position versatility. Although he worked with the tight ends this year he could very well out grow the position and become an offensive lineman much like Adam Grant did.
Colin Baxter Baxter got a lot of work at center and guard this fall and he should be in a position to compete for time at both positions next fall. He has nice athleticism and a great mean streak.
Glyndon Bolasky Bolasky was a pleasant surprise of fall camp and although he could not work his way into the top-three at tailback, he did enough to be a contender for the future. The bad news is that he suffered a knee injury which could hamper his progress.
Cory Elmore Elmore was sidetracked by the NCAA Clearinghouse that caused him to miss a lot of fall camp. He was going to redshirt anyways and will use the off-season to add strength and size.
Keenyn Crier Crier was not a scholarship player this past season but with his strong, versatile leg he could factor in both the punting and kicking jobs.
Delashaun Dean Dean looked good in fall camp but it became obvious that his surgically repaired knee was not ready to go. He should seriously factor in the wide receiver spot next year.
Ricky Elmore Elmore was a pleasant surprise in fall camp and almost saw the field this season. He’ll be bigger and stronger next season and could push the older ends next year. Could remind some of Copeland Bryan.
Cole Graybill Sure he’s a walk-on but he is good enough to play for this team. He’ll still be behind older players next year, but his future is very bright.
Jovon Hayes Hayes came into camp out of shape but has turned heads while working with the scout team. Another player who could compete for playing time next year.
Tyler Lyon Lyon was not going to play this year. Period. The Cats wanted to get two years separation between the Lyon and Willie Tuitama, even if it meant going with back-up quarterbacks who did not have all of the talent that Lyon does. Lyon is coming along just fine and could be a vital part of this football team if Tuitama’s injury woes continue.
Mana Mikaele Like many of the freshmen Mikaele needed to get bigger and stronger to take the rigors of the college game.
Nate Ness Ness was redshirted in an attempt to be Michael Johnson’s replacement. Now the junior college transfer finds himself in a dogfight with the likes of Michael Klyce, Corey Hall and Brandon Tatum to join Dominic Patrick in the starting line-up.
Brooks Reed Reed was good enough in the early part of fall camp that the Wildcat coaches resisted a planned move linebacker. His future is likely on defense but it is not a certainty as he looked good on offense as well.
D’aundre Reed Reed also ran into some Clearinghouse troubles that caused him to miss time in the preseason. Recruited as a defensive end he was shifted to linebacker in fall camp. Whether he remains there or goes back to the defensive line could depend on how big he gets.
A.J. Simmons Not to sound like a broken record but Simmons is another guy whose future position is in doubt. He could stay a tight end, become an offensive lineman or move to the defensive side of the ball.
James Tretheway Redshirting the junior college transfer was always an option but an ankle injury cemented the decision. Tretheway gets an extra year to bulk up, learn the system and get stronger. Will be a factor at a variety of positions on the offensive line next season.
Michael Turner If not for problems with the Clearinghouse, Turner may have played this season

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I love how this is meant to be a thread about UofA, nothing ASU related at all, and all these guys do is try to use it to bash UofA. Seriously, if you don't want to discuss it then you don't have to join the thread, but there is no reason to try to just spam it like that.

I wish the mods would do something about that. UofA fans don't do it on the ASU threads, why is it ok for trolling on these threads?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
From a Devil Fan, and a UofA Football hater (though I like Lute and the basketball program; and I can straddle the fence since I have a degree from UofA and ASU).

I hope UofA becomes a better football team. I hope that their begin to recruit more talent. I hope that Stoops does learn how to coach. WHY? Becuase I am sick of "Arizona" as being an after thought in the nation as a football state. The Better UofA does - ASU will match it - or be thrown out on their ear. Example - in my opinion, if Stoops doesn't beat Washington St, Oregon, and California - Koetter keeps his job after beating UofA. However, since Stoops did what Koetter is incapable of - it is egg on the face of ASU and they had to do something about it immediately.

So, at the end of the day, I want UofA football to crush every "out of conference" opponent, have winning records in the Pac-10, and take their end-of-November beatings like the kitties they are. Seriously.

Three cheers for the UofA coming in second behind ASU in the Pac-10 every year!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Im just making a statement if you dont like what i said dont read them or respond to them.

Your just incouraging the trolling

encouraging

You've been BIM'd!:jedi:, nice to see that ASU education hard at work.

Oh, and just because other boards get spammed doesn't mean it's OK to do it to this one. That in itself is one of the dumber things I've ever read on this board.