UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scheer may get his wish to play a short handed UCLA. Juzang is in Covid protocol won't play tonight and seems iffy for Tues against UA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to pull an NFL and stop testing come March.

LA Times is reporting UCLA now has only 1 scholarship player who hasn't had Covid. not sure who but that might mean timing wise it's unlikely any of them will test positive in March.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Juzang will be fine next week

The UCLA rule is tests negative after 5 days of no symptoms. He's apparently asymptomatic so in theory he can test negative on Tue and play that night.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA broke our offense.

If you watched teh Stanford game last night Don MacLean was explaining what he thought UCLA did to ARizona. Basically said Arizona is as good as anybody in transition offense. To get that Arizona plays pressure defense to get you to take quicker shots. UCLA didn't do that, UCLA made Arizona defend a longer shot clock, and then of course hit shots at the end of the clock. So without the fast break points Arizona was always playing against a set defense.

This was obvious in how UCLA didn't even try to get offensive rebounds they just dropped back on defense. Saw a bit of the ASU game no idea if they did the same thing but it's not exactly a new concept, transition teams like to run so try to not let them run.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If you watched teh Stanford game last night Don MacLean was explaining what he thought UCLA did to ARizona. Basically said Arizona is as good as anybody in transition offense. To get that Arizona plays pressure defense to get you to take quicker shots. UCLA didn't do that, UCLA made Arizona defend a longer shot clock, and then of course hit shots at the end of the clock. So without the fast break points Arizona was always playing against a set defense.

This was obvious in how UCLA didn't even try to get offensive rebounds they just dropped back on defense. Saw a bit of the ASU game no idea if they did the same thing but it's not exactly a new concept, transition teams like to run so try to not let them run.

Guards get exposed in the half court. Against UCLA it will come down to making shots and dominating the boards.

Kerr is disappointing but capable of going on a hot streak. He’s just not a PG. Luckily sounds like Tommy will get one if Proctor/Boswell.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guards get exposed in the half court. Against UCLA it will come down to making shots and dominating the boards.

Kerr is disappointing but capable of going on a hot streak. He’s just not a PG. Luckily sounds like Tommy will get one if Proctor/Boswell.

Kriisa is a really good passer but his shooting has been an issue, which is kind of the opposite of what he was advertised as. HIs big issue against UCLA is defense, the first half our entire offense was find Kriisa and attack him.

Tubelis should be healthy, UA can't shoot that poorly again. UCLA lost Jaquez again last night to a rolled up ankle, hopefully good by Thur. Should get Juzang back by then. So ARizona more healthy UCLA a bit less healthy figures to favor UA.

I am impressed with your new coach though he has done quite a bit of what Cronin did, take someone else's players and get them to play much better but he's added in some transfers too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Tubelis had a high ankle sprain all along or is that new? Weird.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So Tubelis had a high ankle sprain all along or is that new? Weird.
Yeah not sure why he's been playing if that's the diagnosis. He looked awful against UCLA and not much better against asu. I get that our bench is thin, but there's still a ton of season left to be played.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah not sure why he's been playing if that's the diagnosis. He looked awful against UCLA and not much better against asu. I get that our bench is thin, but there's still a ton of season left to be played.

Yeah if he was playing on a high ankle that's nuts, puts his whole season in jeopardy. Seeding is important but better to get to March and have your best guys healthy than play them now and risk making it worse. I'm assuming he aggravated it and made it worse hard to believe they had him playing on a high ankle, most guys can't play on one even if they tried.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking like both teams are going to be missing guys. Clark is definitely out for Thur still in concussion protocol it's his second one this year. Jaime is iffy, they think he can play but aren't sure they're going to play him they want to be cautious. And as of now Juzang has not cleared Covid, he's fine, no symptoms but needs a negative test and not clear when he last tested.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TP reports Juzang is cleared to play and practiced today. Clark still out, Jaime is questionable.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
TP reports Juzang is cleared to play and practiced today. Clark still out, Jaime is questionable.
Jaquez? Freaking spread is UCLA +6. Implies that he might not gon

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaquez? Freaking spread is UCLA +6. Implies that he might not gon

not surprising if Jaime can't go or is limited and Juzang just got back, consider how important those 2 were in the win over UA. UCLA rules are when in Covid protocols you can't practice or workout, so Juzang's practice yesterday was his first work since he tested positive so he's going to be a bit rusty.

It would not shock me to just rest Jaime, tough game to win anyways, play the long game worry about March and having his best guys healthy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that Mathurin block on the dunk attempt by Bernard is play of the year material. Great half by UA just too big this is what I thought the first game was going to look like. UCLA gotta hit some 3's or they're done.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much Ballo and Terry tonight. UCLA clearly was trying to make Terry shoot and he made them. Hope to play again in vegas.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Too much Ballo and Terry tonight. UCLA clearly was trying to make Terry shoot and he made them. Hope to play again in vegas.
Looking forward to Lloyd and Cronin killing each other in the parking lot tonight

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Always forget to record the games that end up going well. Sounded like a typical Kerr game making AZ fans pull their hair out and being hated by the opposing team’s fanbase.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Always forget to record the games that end up going well. Sounded like a typical Kerr game making AZ fans pull their hair out and being hated by the opposing team’s fanbase.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was I think 4-14 but he made 3 threes including the dagger 3 making it a 9 point lead late. I think it was right after Tyger missed the front end of a 1 and 1 don't actually remember teh timing.

The big change on defense was they started Mathurin on Tyger so he didn't get off early, and everytime UCLA tried to ISO Jaime on a big, UA ran a 2nd man at him on the drive which clearly bothered Jaime.

Good game, I will say the double T on Larsson and Tyger was a joke just let the kids work it out. Tyger on the floor, Larsson stepped over him so Tyger stood up to say don't step over me. Nothing serious nobody in any danger the kids just separated right away, go to timeout come back and they'd called a Double T which was the 3rd foul on Tyger. But UA was going to win anyways UCLA couldn't handle the size, especially Ballo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow UCLA big Mac Etienne, sitting out the year with ACL surgery is cited for spitting at Arizona fans. they have it on tape as the team is walking to the locker room fans are taunting the players and he spits twice. Can't do that stuff Mac, gotta apologize. They can't exactly suspend him since he's out injured but can't have stuff like that he needs to face some consequences. Theoretically he could face legal charges.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow UCLA big Mac Etienne, sitting out the year with ACL surgery is cited for spitting at Arizona fans. they have it on tape as the team is walking to the locker room fans are taunting the players and he spits twice. Can't do that stuff Mac, gotta apologize. They can't exactly suspend him since he's out injured but can't have stuff like that he needs to face some consequences. Theoretically he could face legal charges.

Double wow he apparently did the same thing walking off the court at halftime. Not good