UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This team is really good. Athletic, shooting, size, defense, transition game.

Wondered why tubelis didn’t play much last night. Type of injury?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is really good. Athletic, shooting, size, defense, transition game.

Wondered why tubelis didn’t play much last night. Type of injury?
He injured his ankle early in the game (a Stanford guard accidentally rolled over his leg).

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interesting how much this team is flying under the radar despite being #3 in the country.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pre covid shutdown I thought UA was about 10 points better than UCLA. We didn't have Riley and his mid range jumper is huge against UA because they're so big you have to make jumpshots to beat them. Right now post shutdown I think it's 15-20 points. UA picked up right where they left off(save tubelis getting hurt), UCLA got Riley back but he's still not 100%, but Jaquez(ankles) and Campbell(thumb on shooting hand) are both playing hurt and Jaquez and Bernard in particular had severe cases of Covid and are clearly not the same yet.

we did get Clark back from illness and Singleton from Concussion so they're good. Myles played his best half of the year in Colorado first half, that would be huge against UA since UA is so much bigger than UCLA.

I figure the best chance to win is the rematch in McKale because UCLA will get 9 days to get their health back, I'm expecting UCLA to try and slow it down and hope to make 3's and lose by double digits. The crowd in Pauley might help but we're just too small and we haven't played more than about 25 minutes of good ball since the restart.

Whoever coached up Koloko my goodness, I knew he was the most improved player in the conference but he looked like a first round pick against Cal, he has a hook with both hands now and is so much more coordinated on offense. I didn't particularly like him out of HS he was so raw but man is he good now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI if anybody is planning to attend.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FYI if anybody is planning to attend.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Was going to go, but I already pissed the wife off by going to the playoff game last week (only one super spreader event per variant, I guess).

I just dropped $20 on UCLA +2. I've been on a losing streak, so you may be in trouble, Russ.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to go, but I already pissed the wife off by going to the playoff game last week (only one super spreader event per variant, I guess).

I just dropped $20 on UCLA +2. I've been on a losing streak, so you may be in trouble, Russ.

That's the line? I thought UA would be 10 plus favorites. I wonder if that means they don't think Tubelis plays.

The last time they had fans first game back was Nova and a bunchof fans missed 10 minuts of the game due to long lines outside to get cleared in with Covid restrictions. They are saying they have that kink worked out now.

Last year we used Jaquez cleared out on Tubelis, and Tyger on Kriisa and just killed it, both guys are hurt this year I don't see it working nearly as well.

I think we'll play them much closer in Tucson more time to heal up

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Tubelis does not play, Cats will probably lose.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Tubelis does not play, Cats will probably lose.

Would be a surprise, one healthy starter for UCLA right now in Juzang, didn't have Covid. Jaquez still recovering from Covid and 2 sprained ankles, Campbell sprained thumb on shooting hand, Riley just coming back from months off with a sprained knee, Bernard still not recovered from Covid. UCLA hasn't played more than about 25 solid minutes in a game since coming back because of conditioning, 3 weeks with no conditioning will do that. The pace Arizona plays at would be surprised if the last 5 minutes of each half UCLA isn't totally gassed

Arizona by 50.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, UCLA is a jumpshooting team. UA is huge, so for UCLA to win tonight they're going to have to make a bunch of 3's and midrange. I just feel UA is too big and UCLA isn't as good now as they were a month ago because of the layoff so the odds of them making enough 3's tonight is slim. 10 days from now maybe, not tonight

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaylen Clark out tonight with a concussion. Arizona by 60.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Getting punched in the face might be good for them, we’ll see... They better take their embarrassment out on ASU this weekend. Kerr needs to get his sh*t together.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I just woke up and Kerr missed another shot in which he didn’t set his feet

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously I was kidding about 50 or 60 but I actually thought UA would win by double digits, very surprised. I got 2 things right, Tyger still owns Kriisa and that was really the game in many respects, and in the 2nd half when UCLA got flat and it was at 8, Mick went ISO Jaime against Tubelis and he got a quick 8 points and put the game away. One of the UA players said after the game they were surprised by all the ISO, if that's true that's a bad statement that's literally what UCLA did the last 2 years against UA, that's a Cronin staple first with Chris Smith now with Juzang, Jaime and Tyger.

Obviously Kerr was terrible but I thought one of the keys to the 2nd half was Lloyd responded to Tyger by putting mathurin on Tyger. Mathurin guarded him 94 feet and did a great job, Tyger didn't score in the 2nd half, but the battle was won, Mathurin got so gassed trying to check Tyger that save one flurry, he wasn't a factor on offense and wound up 5-22.

Arizona won the rebounds 51-36. as I said UCLA is a jump shooting team so they went get lots of FT's but 3-5 and massively outrebonding and winning in a blowout was a testament to defense and some of the Cats just getting sped up. When UCLA slowed it down after the fast start UA didn't respond well they forced shots trying to speed UCLA up and wound up screwing themselves instead

Hopefully Tubelis is healthy next time, UCLA has Clark and both teams stay healthy down the stretch.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
UofA dominated the boards and didn’t foul, but lost by 16. The difference is UCLA made shots and Arizona didn’t, including open jumpers, free throws, and bunnies. I cant recall the last basketball game where I saw no shots go in and Arizona score 4 points in 10 min.

Ho hum. Kick their ass in McKale next week. ASU is going to get worked on Saturday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UofA dominated the boards and didn’t foul, but lost by 16. The difference is UCLA made shots and Arizona didn’t, including open jumpers, free throws, and bunnies. I cant recall the last basketball game where I saw no shots go in and Arizona score 4 points in 10 min.

Ho hum. Kick their ass in McKale next week. ASU is going to get worked on Saturday.

Dominated the OFFENSIVE glass, if UA made more shots they'd obviously have had less O boards. At times it seemed their best offense was let Kriisa miss so they could get the rebound. I watched enough of the cal game to know Cal didn't double the post against UA and got hammered inside as a result. UCLA did double the post, UA passed it out and after the hot 5 minute start, those shots weren't going in.

I think UA got rushed, UCLA slowed it down and the UA players wanted to run so they were pushing and taking quick shots when a few more passes got a much better shot.

I figured for UCLA to win they had to shoot extremely well from 3 8-17 is good but not amazing, but UA was 7-28 so that was the difference. That and the ISO stuff, UCLA had 9 more baskets and 2 less assists, because of all the ISO stuff for Tyger, Jaime and Johnny

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose