TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I just woke up and Kerr missed another shot in which he didn’t set his feet

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously I was kidding about 50 or 60 but I actually thought UA would win by double digits, very surprised. I got 2 things right, Tyger still owns Kriisa and that was really the game in many respects, and in the 2nd half when UCLA got flat and it was at 8, Mick went ISO Jaime against Tubelis and he got a quick 8 points and put the game away. One of the UA players said after the game they were surprised by all the ISO, if that's true that's a bad statement that's literally what UCLA did the last 2 years against UA, that's a Cronin staple first with Chris Smith now with Juzang, Jaime and Tyger.

Obviously Kerr was terrible but I thought one of the keys to the 2nd half was Lloyd responded to Tyger by putting mathurin on Tyger. Mathurin guarded him 94 feet and did a great job, Tyger didn't score in the 2nd half, but the battle was won, Mathurin got so gassed trying to check Tyger that save one flurry, he wasn't a factor on offense and wound up 5-22.

Arizona won the rebounds 51-36. as I said UCLA is a jump shooting team so they went get lots of FT's but 3-5 and massively outrebonding and winning in a blowout was a testament to defense and some of the Cats just getting sped up. When UCLA slowed it down after the fast start UA didn't respond well they forced shots trying to speed UCLA up and wound up screwing themselves instead

Hopefully Tubelis is healthy next time, UCLA has Clark and both teams stay healthy down the stretch.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
UofA dominated the boards and didn’t foul, but lost by 16. The difference is UCLA made shots and Arizona didn’t, including open jumpers, free throws, and bunnies. I cant recall the last basketball game where I saw no shots go in and Arizona score 4 points in 10 min.

Ho hum. Kick their ass in McKale next week. ASU is going to get worked on Saturday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UofA dominated the boards and didn’t foul, but lost by 16. The difference is UCLA made shots and Arizona didn’t, including open jumpers, free throws, and bunnies. I cant recall the last basketball game where I saw no shots go in and Arizona score 4 points in 10 min.

Ho hum. Kick their ass in McKale next week. ASU is going to get worked on Saturday.

Dominated the OFFENSIVE glass, if UA made more shots they'd obviously have had less O boards. At times it seemed their best offense was let Kriisa miss so they could get the rebound. I watched enough of the cal game to know Cal didn't double the post against UA and got hammered inside as a result. UCLA did double the post, UA passed it out and after the hot 5 minute start, those shots weren't going in.

I think UA got rushed, UCLA slowed it down and the UA players wanted to run so they were pushing and taking quick shots when a few more passes got a much better shot.

I figured for UCLA to win they had to shoot extremely well from 3 8-17 is good but not amazing, but UA was 7-28 so that was the difference. That and the ISO stuff, UCLA had 9 more baskets and 2 less assists, because of all the ISO stuff for Tyger, Jaime and Johnny

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scheer may get his wish to play a short handed UCLA. Juzang is in Covid protocol won't play tonight and seems iffy for Tues against UA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to pull an NFL and stop testing come March.

LA Times is reporting UCLA now has only 1 scholarship player who hasn't had Covid. not sure who but that might mean timing wise it's unlikely any of them will test positive in March.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Juzang will be fine next week

The UCLA rule is tests negative after 5 days of no symptoms. He's apparently asymptomatic so in theory he can test negative on Tue and play that night.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA broke our offense.

If you watched teh Stanford game last night Don MacLean was explaining what he thought UCLA did to ARizona. Basically said Arizona is as good as anybody in transition offense. To get that Arizona plays pressure defense to get you to take quicker shots. UCLA didn't do that, UCLA made Arizona defend a longer shot clock, and then of course hit shots at the end of the clock. So without the fast break points Arizona was always playing against a set defense.

This was obvious in how UCLA didn't even try to get offensive rebounds they just dropped back on defense. Saw a bit of the ASU game no idea if they did the same thing but it's not exactly a new concept, transition teams like to run so try to not let them run.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If you watched teh Stanford game last night Don MacLean was explaining what he thought UCLA did to ARizona. Basically said Arizona is as good as anybody in transition offense. To get that Arizona plays pressure defense to get you to take quicker shots. UCLA didn't do that, UCLA made Arizona defend a longer shot clock, and then of course hit shots at the end of the clock. So without the fast break points Arizona was always playing against a set defense.

This was obvious in how UCLA didn't even try to get offensive rebounds they just dropped back on defense. Saw a bit of the ASU game no idea if they did the same thing but it's not exactly a new concept, transition teams like to run so try to not let them run.

Guards get exposed in the half court. Against UCLA it will come down to making shots and dominating the boards.

Kerr is disappointing but capable of going on a hot streak. He’s just not a PG. Luckily sounds like Tommy will get one if Proctor/Boswell.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guards get exposed in the half court. Against UCLA it will come down to making shots and dominating the boards.

Kerr is disappointing but capable of going on a hot streak. He’s just not a PG. Luckily sounds like Tommy will get one if Proctor/Boswell.

Kriisa is a really good passer but his shooting has been an issue, which is kind of the opposite of what he was advertised as. HIs big issue against UCLA is defense, the first half our entire offense was find Kriisa and attack him.

Tubelis should be healthy, UA can't shoot that poorly again. UCLA lost Jaquez again last night to a rolled up ankle, hopefully good by Thur. Should get Juzang back by then. So ARizona more healthy UCLA a bit less healthy figures to favor UA.

I am impressed with your new coach though he has done quite a bit of what Cronin did, take someone else's players and get them to play much better but he's added in some transfers too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Tubelis had a high ankle sprain all along or is that new? Weird.