UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Seriously, almost everything this team does is a huge indictment of Miller's coaching. Not that I was ever a huge supporter of Miller but I never really jumped off his bandwagon until watching this group of guys play the game.

I think Miller stopped recruiting for his style. Miller is a rigid coach and refused to adjust to a faster tempo game, but recruited like he was Gonzaga. Now that we have a Gonzaga coach with Gonzaga players, it fits perfectly. Miller's not a bad coach, but he tried so hard to be something that he's not in the end.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Seriously, almost everything this team does is a huge indictment of Miller's coaching. Not that I was ever a huge supporter of Miller but I never really jumped off his bandwagon until watching this group of guys play the game.
Miller isn't a bad coach, very good in fact. Just pigeon-holed himself into recruiting players who didn't fit the system he insisted on running. Still made it "work" as the guy won a lot but the pieces never fit enough to get to the next level. That being said if Ashley doesn't hurt his foot in 2014 they probably win the natty.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Miller stopped recruiting for his style. Miller is a rigid coach and refused to adjust to a faster tempo game, but recruited like he was Gonzaga. Now that we have a Gonzaga coach with Gonzaga players, it fits perfectly. Miller's not a bad coach, but he tried so hard to be something that he's not in the end.
Miller is top mid-tier coach. He was likely in his optimal fit at Xavier. A club that could recruit gritty tough kids who were maybe a tier below what the top schools were seeking. Perfect for grinding defensive minded coach. Arizona is a school that can, and should expect to, recruit top talent. It’s an echelon above. Miller didn’t possess a creative enough mind to take advantage of that inherent advantage that Arizona possesses.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Tubelis will play his way into the draft by the end of the year. It’s possible they only lose Mathurin/Tubelis and return everyone else. Kerr is capable of single-handedly losing us a tournament game but they also can’t make a run without him this year and next.

Arizona reportedly leads for 5* PG Tyrese Proctor but he’s 2023. I don’t think an NBA would look at Kerr this year.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I think Tubelis will play his way into the draft by the end of the year. It’s possible they only lose Mathurin/Tubelis and return everyone else. Kerr is capable of single-handedly losing us a tournament game but they also can’t make a run without him this year and next.

Arizona reportedly leads for 5* PG Tyrese Proctor but he’s 2023. I don’t think an NBA would look at Kerr this year.
Tubelis isnt a lock to declare after this season. Kerr is likely never going to see an NBA roster. Too erratic of a personality and way too streaky of a shooter.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller isn't a bad coach, very good in fact. Just pigeon-holed himself into recruiting players who didn't fit the system he insisted on running. Still made it "work" as the guy won a lot but the pieces never fit enough to get to the next level. That being said if Ashley doesn't hurt his foot in 2014 they probably win the natty.
I know teams have had success playing the pack line defense but I just don't like to watch it and if I were a young college player, I'd hate to play it too. And it makes it a challenge to turn around and play fast paced the other direction. So it makes for boring basketball and seemed to waste the offensive talent he'd brought in. It also seemed like every year he'd acknowledge his shortcomings (with pace and his temperament/comportment) at season's end yet little changed.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I know teams have had success playing the pack line defense but I just don't like to watch it and if I were a young college player, I'd hate to play it too. And it makes it a challenge to turn around and play fast paced the other direction. So it makes for boring basketball and seemed to waste the offensive talent he'd brought in. It also seemed like every year he'd acknowledge his shortcomings (with pace and his temperament/comportment) at season's end yet little changed.
Unless your name is Matisse Thybulle or Mikal Bridges, defense isnt going to get you into the league. I think it was a combination of Miller recognizing that he had to play faster, but at the same time trying to force-feed his archaic system into players who wanted to run. And maybe he acknowledged his temperment, but he never made an effort to change. I went to the Anaheim tournament with Nico, Gree, and Nnaji when we played Penn. The stadium is tiny and there were only about 3000 people in attendance. I could hear every explitive and aggressive comment Miller made during the game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Tubelis isnt a lock to declare after this season. Kerr is likely never going to see an NBA roster. Too erratic of a personality and way too streaky of a shooter.

Lock no but by the end of the year he’ll be in the convo. They could sell him on being the man next year with Mathurin leaving... Basically the Luke Walton role.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Blew out #32 Kenpom on the road. If USC beats UCLA we’d have a 3 game lead.

Oregon is right there as well but I can’t name one of their players this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Lloyd effectively scheming with two traditional bigs on the floor is a huge indictment of Miller’s coaching.
I don’t know why y’all were so slavishly devoted to that guy for so long. His teams were perennial post-season underachievers AND boring. Terrible combo.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Blew out #32 Kenpom on the road. If USC beats UCLA we’d have a 3 game lead.

Oregon is right there as well but I can’t name one of their players this year.
Six Quad-1 wins now

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This Arizona team may be one of the best under the radar Arizona teams of all time. They get zero coverage.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Oregon and UCLA both go down... 3 game lead with 7 left.

Beat the Oregon schools and it’s probably cause SC has a tough remaining schedule.

mrzipityduda

Reaction score
The winner of the PAC-12 is a given. No way we lose 2 games....probably go undefeated!!! Hate the tourney....it needs to go away. All it does is make the players tired for the NCAA format!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oregon and UCLA both go down... 3 game lead with 7 left.

Beat the Oregon schools and it’s probably cause SC has a tough remaining schedule.

Yeah the conference race is over it's all now navigating for the tourney. We're all expecting UCLA to shut down Jaime Jaquez it seems more of when than if, both ankles are bad, he says he has synovitis which means he came back too quickly and they're now swelling. 6 games in 12 days no way he can handle that so we all assume he's going to sit at least some of those games. My guess would be play the first 2 and then sit the last 4, return for USC and then the P 12 tourney.

With you guys one point getting lost is how well Larsson is suddenly playing off the bench, IMO that's huge because it gives Lloyd another option should Kriisa struggle shooting or defensively. Kier is good but not the offensive threat that Larsson is.

Right now UA appears very likely a 1 seed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kerr hitting a huge 3 and getting stripped the next play was perfectly on brand. I really hope Tommy gets Boswell.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Kerr hitting a huge 3 and getting stripped the next play was perfectly on brand. I really hope Tommy gets Boswell.
Dude’s gonna be the reason we win the Natty or the reason we get bounced in the first weekend.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McKale Center, one of the best college basketball places in the country. It's special.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was a play at the end of that game that was bizarre. The Oregon guard tried to take Koloko off the dribble and missed at teh rim. Larsson gets the board and gets fouled. For some reason he still passed it to Kriisa, Kerr is standing there with 2 Oregon players in front of him, completely normal play they had to foul to stop the clock. the 2 guys have their backs to Kerr and he has the ball in 2 hands and acts like he's semi bowling and throws the ball and hits one of the Oregon players. It wasn't a hard throw but the ref blew the whistle and I thought my god they're going to T him up for that in a 3 point game he is nuts. but they actually just wanted to check the clock they didn't call it.

The only thing I could figure is he was trying to throw the ball to the ref but the 2 Oregon players were just standing there they didn't move in front it was just bizarre.

He made a huge shot, he's had his moments, but man I do think if you're Lloyd you have to see the development of Larsson as a possible life preserver if Kerr melts down in the NCAA tourney.

They had an article recently the old unnamed Conference coaches talk about other teams. On UA what they said was the weak link is Kriisa he's way too emotional to play PG, and he can't defend the ball in the loss to UCLA they just rotated the ball until they found Kerr and then attacked him.

But with the development of Larsson, and Ballo, it may not matter.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A great game for him to see with his family.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Didn't see this posted here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A great game for him to see with his family.

FWIW rumor is he's going to reclass and start college in 22 not 23. He's announcing Monday and most everyone thinks it's Arizona.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose