UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know specifically why Sampson is disliked but he’s a hell of a coach. The irony of Houston is it’s probably Sean Miller’s dream type team. They were #2 Kenpom heading into the tourney.

Well it's dumb now because with the new rules everyone essentially does it but Sampson was a pretty dirty coach at one point in his career based on the rules at the time. Not that I'm an Indiana fan but Kelvin Sampson cratered that program.

But now essentially everything he was doing is not really a violation so if he does that now, nobody cares

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston has dogs 1-8. We had 2-3 at best.

Krissa was one of the weak links for sure, not to the degree UCLA fans and their Fatal Attraction like obsession want him to be, but needs to become a stronger player with the ball.

hey if you guys want to start him for another 2 years more power to you. He's not that good.

He made some nice pocket passes last night usually hockey assists to Tubelis. he's a horrible defender, like hide him if you can bad defender. In the tourney in 2 games he shot 2-17 6points 6 boards 2 assists, 6 turnovers 7 fouls in 46 minutes. I guess he was healthy he was moving around ok but he was by far the worst player in the rotation.

Larsson 3 games, 72 minutes 25 points on 8-16 shooting, 17 boards 5 assists and while he's not as good as Terry or Mathurin he's actually not a bad defender. 24 minutes a game for him is not bad but I would have liked to see him get 30 and cut Kriisa's minutes between Larsson and Kier.

He finally made a 3 last night I think cut the lead to 9 and then the next time down he takes a 30 footer off the dribble drifting left, just a horrible shot the announcer even said what is he doing taking that shot.

I just don't see why Lloyd likes him, not like last night was an off night he shot 35% overall 34 from 3 which was just slightly better than he did last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Archie Goodwin was a first rd pick as well as a bunch of other young raw dudes like him. Teams will take him knowing they’re probably getting a lottery pick a year early.
Lol. Based on your example there’s no “probably getting a lottery pick” involved. The goodwins far exceed the maxeys in the league. I’m not saying he might get drafted, he may. But it’s no sure thing and the difference in $$$ between lottery and pick 28 is pretty big. He knows he’s the man coming back to a good coach and good program at Arizona. I wouldn’t be surprised either way, I just think he’s more likely to stay.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought this was the year the West Coast got a title, 3 teams that looked to be good enough to do it and all went down.

Gonzaga I thought a couple of the calls on Holmgren were bad but largely they just got beaten by a team that played harder than they did, Notae was 9-29 2-12 from 3 but Arkansas still won they shut down the Zags and turned them over.

UCLA played well enough to win until the end but got killed by a Fennis Dembo effort from Caleb Love, and because IMO Cronin didn't play Myles Johnson and Jaylen Clark enough and it cost them at crunch time with key UNC rebounds on the O glass.

Arizona just ran into a buzzsaw defensively and again I think Lloyd went too long with Kerr and it cost him.

Will be interesting to see who comes back from those 3 and who they get in. All 3 have a chance to be top 10 teams again next year just depends on who goes.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really thought this was the year the West Coast got a title, 3 teams that looked to be good enough to do it and all went down.

Gonzaga I thought a couple of the calls on Holmgren were bad but largely they just got beaten by a team that played harder than they did, Notae was 9-29 2-12 from 3 but Arkansas still won they shut down the Zags and turned them over.

UCLA played well enough to win until the end but got killed by a Fennis Dembo effort from Caleb Love, and because IMO Cronin didn't play Myles Johnson and Jaylen Clark enough and it cost them at crunch time with key UNC rebounds on the O glass.

Arizona just ran into a buzzsaw defensively and again I think Lloyd went too long with Kerr and it cost him.

Will be interesting to see who comes back from those 3 and who they get in. All 3 have a chance to be top 10 teams again next year just depends on who goes.

Gonzaga might be going thru a bit of a lull by their talent standards without Lloyd’s recruiting chops. AZ/UCLA expectations have everything to do with who’s returning. Terry/Koloko for us and Juzang/Jaquez for y’all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonzaga might be going thru a bit of a lull by their talent standards without Lloyd’s recruiting chops. AZ/UCLA expectations have everything to do with who’s returning. Terry/Koloko for us and Juzang/Jaquez for y’all.

Nobody thinks Juzang is coming back we don't know on Jaquez. Should be much more athletic next year.

For UA I think the key is the 2 you identified.

I expect Gonzaga, UA and USC will all reload in the transfer portal, there's a reason USC already has 3-4 guys leaving and rumors Boogie Ellis will too, I think they were actively telling guys we're going to recruit over you in the portal.

Should add I expect Oregon will reload with transfers too.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really don’t think terry goes. Isn’t koloko a senior? If not he may want to return as he ended his season with an embarrassing thud.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Nobody thinks Juzang is coming back we don't know on Jaquez. Should be much more athletic next year.

For UA I think the key is the 2 you identified.

I expect Gonzaga, UA and USC will all reload in the transfer portal, there's a reason USC already has 3-4 guys leaving and rumors Boogie Ellis will too, I think they were actively telling guys we're going to recruit over you in the portal.

Should add I expect Oregon will reload with transfers too.

Koloko should do the opposite of Juzang last year and leave. He’s not ready for NBA ball but he could regret coming back and hurting his stock.

I really don’t think terry goes. Isn’t koloko a senior? If not he may want to return as he ended his season with an embarrassing thud.

Terry is the big one. Him leaving/staying is the difference between being a great team vs an above average one.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Super sophomore, and if he gets a first-round grade, which is possible, he should leave.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Super sophomore, and if he gets a first-round grade, which is possible, he should leave.
Hmm he’s an interesting one then. Because he’s younger than I expected. And he made such a leap from last year that if he made a similar leap this year, like Terry, he could be looking at lottery. I thought he was older.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see if UA goes after Kenny Lofton's kid, Kenneth Lofton Jr who's in the transfer portal from LA Tech. He's a kid who you look at him and say there's no way that kid can play, 6'7" 275 and looks shorter and heavier but averaged a double double this year and was one of the stars on the USA U19 team last year.

One of those bigs who just has a way to get position and get his shot off against bigger players. At his size he may not fit the uptempo style UA played this year but obviously his dad played there.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting to see if UA goes after Kenny Lofton's kid, Kenneth Lofton Jr who's in the transfer portal from LA Tech. He's a kid who you look at him and say there's no way that kid can play, 6'7" 275 and looks shorter and heavier but averaged a double double this year and was one of the stars on the USA U19 team last year.

One of those bigs who just has a way to get position and get his shot off against bigger players. At his size he may not fit the uptempo style UA played this year but obviously his dad played there.
I don't put a lot of stock in legacies these days. Kids seem to want to make their own marks. But as you mentioned UA isn't known to have reached out to him and style of play may not be a fit. I'm sure Lloyd would love to have him because he needs to land some transfers to reload next year's squad.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, tell me what you all think of Dalen Terry? Draft night, someone said he has a similar skill set to Lonzo and that would make sense since Lonzo is always hurt and the Bulls sucked without him!!