Underrated/Overrated 2012 Offseason Moves

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
.... because his style of play fits the new scheme...

And Horton has yet to "coach the Cardinal out of him" (Toler).

Imagine what can happen when you have your DB's looking back for the football, and not just waving their arms blindly in the air !

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overrated - people expecting guys who tore their ACLs or worse (Williams) to make significant impact next season... especially Williams. ACLs are easier to come back from, but we all know it still usually takes two years to really get back to 100% on those and the injury Williams suffered from... well... that one is just tough to come back from period.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals.

With Boldin in the mix, I think we make the playoffs this year.

Anquan specifically or 250 yard and one TD difference between him and Roberts?
I think with better WR support the team might have made it, but we can play that game with either:
more consistent QB play
better early defensive play

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Underrated: Bringing back Clark Haggans. Clark Haggans is a great veteran and locker room presence. He's not afraid or unwilling to play special teams or give up his starting job. The Cards would be wise to even overpay a little to bring Clark Haggans back as an additional coach on the sidelines and occasionally on the field.

Good post and I'll play devil's advocate on this point.

Haggans was an underrated FA acquisition, and an important part of our superbowl run in 08. I appreciate his contribution to our team. But he was in decline even then, and is certainly running on fumes now. He's what, 35 or 36?

Because roster spots are so valuable in the NFL, we can't afford to waste one on him, especially at a fairly critical position (I believe a team needs a 3-4 OLB to pressure the QB). Better to bring in a prospect with the opportunity to develop into a star, while providing probably more production and big plays than we would likely get from Clark. Also, I'm confident that either Dwash, Schofield or Acho will emerge as a defensive leader.

Again, good topic, thanks for putting it together.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good post and I'll play devil's advocate on this point.

Haggans was an underrated FA acquisition, and an important part of our superbowl run in 08. I appreciate his contribution to our team. But he was in decline even then, and is certainly running on fumes now. He's what, 35 or 36?

Because roster spots are so valuable in the NFL, we can't afford to waste one on him, especially at a fairly critical position (I believe a team needs a 3-4 OLB to pressure the QB). Better to bring in a prospect with the opportunity to develop into a star, while providing probably more production and big plays than we would likely get from Clark. Also, I'm confident that either Dwash, Schofield or Acho will emerge as a defensive leader.

Again, good topic, thanks for putting it together.

Not really. Clark wasn't a starter, was dinged up, and only had 3 tackles the last half of the 2008 season. He didn't even play in the SB. He was an important part of the defense that finished higher overall than all but two Cardinal defenses in the last 20 years in 2009.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals.

With Boldin in the mix, I think we make the playoffs this year.

I'll buy that. Without Q going nuts against A.J. Jefferson and company, the Cardinals have a realistic chance of winning the Ravens game, making them 9-7.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll buy that. Without Q going nuts against A.J. Jefferson and company, the Cardinals have a realistic chance of winning the Ravens game, making them 9-7.
10-6 if Kolb completes the pass to Q, instead of Stuckey vs. the Redskins.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Not really. Clark wasn't a starter, was dinged up, and only had 3 tackles the last half of the 2008 season. He didn't even play in the SB. He was an important part of the defense that finished higher overall than all but two Cardinal defenses in the last 20 years in 2009.

meant to say the '09 playoff run Duckjake.

Hows the UT QB situation? :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
meant to say the '09 playoff run Duckjake.

Hows the UT QB situation? :D

Just signed a Juco. 28 year old former minor league baseball pitcher. :p

Speaking of QBs and off season: Watch the kid Harnish tomorrow from Northern Illinois. 1488 yards rushing and threw for 26TDs and only 5INTs. Small school QBs baby!

Hey, Big 12 was 8-2 in Bowl games. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Just signed a Juco. 28 year old former minor league baseball pitcher. :p

Speaking of QBs and off season: Watch the kid Harnish tomorrow from Northern Illinois. 1488 yards rushing and threw for 26TDs and only 5INTs. Small school QBs baby!

Hey, Big 12 was 8-2 in Bowl games. :thumbup:

I really like the addition of WVU to the big 12. If we could eventually pick up one more big name (e.g. Notre Dame) and a middling, complementary program (e.g. Louisville). We'll come out on the other side of this deal okay. It will be a while until the league develops "tradition" though.

Good luck with your JUCO QB. Here's to a hard-fought, well-officiated, injury-free red river shoot out this October!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really like the addition of WVU to the big 12. If we could eventually pick up one more big name (e.g. Notre Dame) and a middling, complementary program (e.g. Louisville). We'll come out on the other side of this deal okay. It will be a while until the league develops "tradition" though.

Good luck with your JUCO QB. Here's to a hard-fought, well-officiated, injury-free red river shoot out this October!

Looks like you missed the reference to Brandon Weeden. :D

My daughter goes to OSU Stillwater so I am forced to watch the OkState games. Still just the strangest thing that the Cowboys miss a FG at the end of regulation allowing the Cardinals to win in OT and then in the same stadium the Cardinal miss a FG at the end of regulation allowing the Cowboys to win in OT.

News of the Weird probably has a full time reporter assigned to the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Looks like you missed the reference to Brandon Weeden. :D

My daughter goes to OSU Stillwater so I am forced to watch the OkState games. Still just the strangest thing that the Cowboys miss a FG at the end of regulation allowing the Cardinals to win in OT and then in the same stadium the Cardinal miss a FG at the end of regulation allowing the Cowboys to win in OT.

News of the Weird probably has a full time reporter assigned to the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

Uh no, that was obvious Duck! :D I'm tired of Weeden though. With Weeden and Blackmon both leaving, OK St will come back to earth in 2012 (thank goodness). Stillwater isn't a bad town to send a daughter to though...

Giving up safeties on consecutive plays, NFL record for overtime wins, 99 yard punt return touchdown to win an overtime game. It is weird being a cards fan. It's always seemed like that though hasn't it?

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good post. I agree with all except the quarterbacks. In my (unpopular) opinion John Skelton has progressed consistently and deserves more starts until we at least see a ceiling on his potential.

What are your thoughts on OL? Underrated or overrated? or does it even matter, Cards are not known to make a lot of moves on OL in one year.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good post. I agree with all except the quarterbacks. In my (unpopular) opinion John Skelton has progressed consistently and deserves more starts until we at least see a ceiling on his potential.

What are your thoughts on OL? Underrated or overrated? or does it even matter, Cards are not known to make a lot of moves on OL in one year.

Underrated: Extending the contract of Levi Brown. I know that I've been a voice in the wilderness on this one for two offseasons now, but the Cards could've guaranteed Brown's 2012 salary on a two- or three-year extension and gotten great value, especially when the salary cap increases some $50 million or more in 2013.

Overrated: The need to "infuse talent" on the offensive line. There are plenty of OL who outperform the group we have with fewer high draft picks or expensive free agents. We could help to build young depth through the draft, but this group is underperforming their talent level. That's a system problem. Watch the Giants and Saints next week and you won't see anywhere near the number of free rushers that our group allows.