Under Armour and UCLA etc

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
over the weekend it came out Under Armour is seeking to get out of the contract with UCLA citing some failure on UCLA's part to meet terms. From what we hear it appears several UCLA athletes refused to wear UA shoes because they didn't fit well or they didn't like the way they performed with them on, and UA is using that and UCLA's lack of success in football and basketball to claim UCLA breached the contract.

It appears UA is in huge trouble, stock down 80%, CEO left, they're missing payments left and right, Steph Curry might leave them over his payments, Cal is making it very clear they will sue if Under Armour tries to bail on them without settling.

Sounds like the end game will be UCLA and others asking for some cash settlement from UA but not clear how much. Kind of hoping UCLA goes with Nike not Adidas, they won't be the priority of course but it should help recruiting quite a bit to have Nike backing. And several of the kids who wouldn't wear UA shoes were wearing Nike because they were "better."

It's a ton of money and UCLA needs money like everyone else the shutdown is a huge blow to their finances in athletics.

No idea what the result is going to be, I am glad I don't own stock in Under Armour.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has UCLA ever been with Nike?

Not that I'm aware of. They bid the last time but it was said to be a low bid, UCLA felt like Nike didn't really want them they had USC in LA, and Oregon of course so they weren't overly interested. The idea was UA was not only much more money, they were going to make UCLA a priority. UCLA felt Kansas was the priority for Adidas, and they wouldn't be a priority to Nike. But outside of Moses Brown it didn't seem like UCLA really got anybody because of UA.