Ukraine Whistleblower Controversy

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Town Drunk, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I guess it comes down to what can they do?

In this situation it appears Sondland wants to testify, so who can they hold in contempt here?

At some point they need to do something it's just not clear to me what they can actually do there's a concerted effort by the GOP to cover this up.

2. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

This was a voluntary request to appear.

The next step is to issue a subpoena and let them violate it; then it becomes part of the articles of impeachment, or you can track Sondland down, have him arrested, and force him to appear.

3. Russ Smith

Right but assuming he's telling the truth, and he may not be, he wants to testify but his employer is blocking him from doing so and he has to comply with what they said. That may be a lie of course he may just be using that to avoid testifying.

I do hope they do whatever they can here, I just would hate to see innocent people get held in contempt over this but it's not clear to me if Sondland is innocent or part of the coverup.

Some of the stuff on the texts makes me think he's part of the cover up the tone of his message seemed to change over time as it went from apparently openly thinking Trump was blackmailing Ukraine into hey there's no quid pro quo here let's take this offline etc.

4. LVG

You hold him in contempt to force his appearance; it gives law enforcement the authority to go arrest the guy and bring him before Congress. That's it.

5. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

The time has arrived for the House to start flexing its muscles.....

LoyaltyisaCurse likes this.
  6. Russ Smith

They're going to have to. Trump sent a letter to Pelosi, Schiff et al via his lawyer basically saying this is a partisan witch hunt, it's not constitutional, so we refuse to comply(the Executive Branch).

He's basically saying they can't do what they're doing, he doesn't demand they hold a vote in the House but he's saying as long as they don't and don't give him the ability to face his accusers and cross examine them, he refuses to comply.

7. Russ Smith

8. LVG

Yeah, I don't think those arguments would hold up. Congress has broad powers to investigate, provided they don't violate Constitutional rights, and the President doesn't get to dictate how the House should or shouldn't handle an impeachment inquiry.

As for due process - the President is guaranteed that when the Senate holds a trial. The inquiry is the investigative phase. It's akin to the cops investigating a crime - they find witnesses and talk to them, and they gather evidence. They're not required to take the prospective defendant's lawyer in tow everywhere the cops go during that investigation.

The trial is the trial - that's where the President get his opportunity to confront the witnesses and to present his own evidence.

9. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

10. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

How can people keep track of all the crap they do? I can barely remember where my car keys are.

Absolute Zero and elindholm like this.
  11. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I would venture to guess that you're more tapped in than 80% of the country. Most people are too occupied with their own problems to pay attention.

12. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

It's finally dawning on me just how many people there are that want all sense of equality dismantled. Not that I'm some kind of world traveler but everywhere I go there are bazillion dollar condo/house projects... Most recently east and west coasts of Mexico.. Hell, Scottsdale is one of them. Ever more funneling money upward however they can. Who are these people?

I know lots of people that are wealthy, by my standards at least.. Drs, lawyers, accountants, brokers etc. Even they are amazed at what's happening above them. Will they speak out? leave the Republican Party? .... Uhh.... No

Why am I bitter laying on the beach in Mexico?? I see the people around me just trying to keep a job and make it somehow. When you have a hotel maid reduced to tears when you give her a $20 tip for cleaning your room, you realize there is something profoundly wrong. They are not narcotraficantes, they're shop keepers, car salesmen, cooks, tour guides etc just like me. When do they get a day at the beach?

Oh well, screw it. I'm heading to the breakfast buffet...

Que tengas un buen día

cardncubfan, ozzfloyd and DemsMyBoys like this.
  13. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

He may have meant all the criming that people like Colludy Rudy do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I could see that. They seem just fine to keep making it up as they go. Hasn't seemed to hurt them.

15. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

8/8