itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade talks between Warriors and T Wolves for Anthony Randolph

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b4pRM

Report: Timberwolves and Warriors discuss Anthony Randolph trade

Fri Jun 04,2010 8:58 AM ET By Kurt Helin

You must be registered for see images
Anthony Randolph is young and has a world of talent and potential. That doesn't mean Don Nelson is going to play him unless he has to, but the talent is there.

Other teams recognize that talent and would like to have it.

Like the Timberwolves, who have talked to Golden State about an Anthony Randolph trade, according to ESPN. No parameters of the deal were released, although you can bet the Warriors would not let him go cheaply.

The Warriors had let it be known last season that they would trade Randolph for the right offer, but apparently never got one they liked enough.

Randolph has a world of athletic ability and has shown it for stretches, but he has spent more time in Don Nelson's doghouse. Like a lot of rookies. The Warriors have quietly hinted about maturity issues. They mean about Randolph, not Nelson, even though the latter has frustrated and angered a number of promising young Warriors players (Monta Ellis and Anthony Morrow among them).

Randolph is coming off an ankle injury that forced him to miss the end of the season, however he is expected to be back and ready to go for the season. He even has bulked up his thin frame with some muscle, according to reports.

He's just about my dream scenario at the 4 next year and he's available. Any way we could pull the rug out from the T Wolves and get him?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Kerr & the Suns tried for a deal involving Amare for a few G.S. guys around draft time last year IIRC. Not sure if Randolph was included in that deal that never got done. I thought it was Curry who the Suns coveted.....a quick little offensive guard....go figure right?:sarcasm: :)

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As Ive stated in RealGM... and I'll state here again.

Kerr needs Randolph if he wants to establish that defensive/offensive balance team core in the future.

C: Lopez
PF: Randolph
SF: Clark
SG: ??? (Mayo, Iggy, Draft pick etc)
PG: Dragic

Sixth man: Dudley

Thats a defensive/offensive balanced team that can thrive in open court and still be effective half court... look at the height of the front court, 7'0, 7'0, 6'10.... Randolph iwas 6'11 and has grown since his rookie year.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^ I'm all for it. I won't hold my breath though. I really hope E.Clark can make great strides this summer & become an effective part of this rotation(mostly @ SF).

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Could you imagine if that Amare trade last summer netted us both Randolph and Curry. Narg that would've been so sweet. Instant rebuild.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Could you imagine if that Amare trade last summer netted us both Randolph and Curry. Narg that would've been so sweet. Instant rebuild.

You'd really prefer such a rebuild to the success Suns team just had?:bang:

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You'd really prefer such a rebuild to the success Suns team just had?:bang:

Let's be honest, this team is on the decline rather than the ascent. Amare will probably leave. Even if he doesn't, that means we're most likely highly overpaying him, choking our resources for the future. Without Nash and with Amare as the centerpiece, this team is at best a 500 club. Unless something drastic happens the Suns will slowly diminish, a bit like watching a beloved relative wither away in a nursing home. So if you're asking me would I take a run to the WCF followed by who knows how many years of decline to who knows what depths or would I take an instant rebuild to put this team on the rise again, to set it for the present and future, to instantly make us a force for years to come-SHIP AMARE'S ASS TEN TIMES OVER. Curry is a killer and Randolph is a stud. Those are two up and comers that are going to be deadly for a player who's hit his ceiling, has extreme injury baggage, rebounds like a small forward, is demanding way more than he's worth, and oh ya doesn't play any defense. Mark my words, you put Randolph beside Nash and he puts up Stat like points with 10+ boards a game. You thought we shot the ball well from three this year, add Curry to this team and it would not be fair. I don't even really want to go into how well the kid passes or his basketball iq. When Nash retires or slows down, Curry would be there to pick up where he left off. That team would be a force for years to come. And who knows, we still might've made the WCF this year. We might've won this year. We'd definitely be set for next year and the year after that, etc. We don't have that bright a future right now. One year of WCF play is not worth sustained success and the potential to win it all. Get it? :mulli:

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Let's be honest, this team is on the decline rather than the ascent. Amare will probably leave. Even if he doesn't, that means we're most likely highly overpaying him, choking our resources for the future. Without Nash and with Amare as the centerpiece, this team is at best a 500 club. Unless something drastic happens the Suns will slowly diminish, a bit like watching a beloved relative wither away in a nursing home. So if you're asking me would I take a run to the WCF followed by who knows how many years of decline to who knows what depths or would I take an instant rebuild to put this team on the rise again, to set it for the present and future, to instantly make us a force for years to come-SHIP AMARE'S ASS TEN TIMES OVER. Curry is a killer and Randolph is a stud. Those are two up and comers that are going to be deadly for a player who's hit his ceiling, has extreme injury baggage, rebounds like a small forward, is demanding way more than he's worth, and oh ya doesn't play any defense. Mark my words, you put Randolph beside Nash and he puts up Stat like points with 10+ boards a game. You thought we shot the ball well from three this year, add Curry to this team and it would not be fair. I don't even really want to go into how well the kid passes or his basketball iq. When Nash retires or slows down, Curry would be there to pick up where he left off. That team would be a force for years to come. And who knows, we still might've made the WCF this year. We might've won this year. We'd definitely be set for next year and the year after that, etc. We don't have that bright a future right now. One year of WCF play is not worth sustained success and the potential to win it all. Get it? :mulli:

...and that is EXACTLY what everyone said last summer.

cly2tw

Reaction score

If you care about stats so much, why don't we just get Marion back who'd get all star stats next to Nash better than Randolph. Curry has a bright future, but he is to replace Nash not to play next to Nash anyway, unless you really wanted the SSOL of DA's era with no defense again. So, even your Nash making Randolph better than Amare argument makes no sense with Curry here. Not to mention, Randolph has done nothing in 2 years yet. He could be another Stromile and Tyrus so many on this board coveted for so long as replacement for Amare, or Wilcox. So far, Suns have been saved from misery a la Tyrus Thomas and Wilcox by GS's refusal to make us a bad team. Even when Amare walks, I'd prefer to give the playing time to Dragic and Clark instead to Randolph and Curry as the rebuilding projects. At least, Clark hasn't been as exposed as Randolph yet.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you care about stats so much, why don't we just get Marion back who'd get all star stats next to Nash better than Randolph. Curry has a bright future, but he is to replace Nash not to play next to Nash anyway, unless you really wanted the SSOL of DA's era with no defense again. So, even your Nash making Randolph better than Amare argument makes no sense with Curry here. Not to mention, Randolph has done nothing in 2 years yet. He could be another Stromile and Tyrus so many on this board coveted for so long as replacement for Amare, or Wilcox. So far, Suns have been saved from misery a la Tyrus Thomas and Wilcox by GS's refusal to make us a bad team. Even when Amare walks, I'd prefer to give the playing time to Dragic and Clark instead to Randolph and Curry as the rebuilding projects. At least, Clark hasn't been as exposed as Randolph yet.

As exposed as Randolph? Huh? Curry can't play next to Nash, or come off the bench, or eventually replace him? You prefer Dragic, fine, you still wouldn't want Curry? You don't see his value to our team? Really? You'd take Clark over Randolph? Really??? You don't see how these players compliment eachother? How they would be more valuable than Amare right now who, by the way, we're probably losing for nothing which actually might be better than keeping him? Let me get this straight, you would not want these young stud players? You don't see what a strong blend of youth, athleticism, veteran leadership, and potential we would have? Not to mention reasonably priced. You would prefer old man knees, no defense, no rebounding Stoudemire for 100 mil or squadush? I don't think I can reason with you then. We'll have to agree to disagree.

PS I don't know what the hell you're talking about with the whole "if you care about stats so much" reference and the "Nash making Randolph better than Amare argument makes no sense with Curry here" thing. What does Curry have to do with Nash making Randolph better? And I don't care about stats. I care about winning and my team's future.

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When the Suns are stuck in the middle of nowhere like Mavericks are at the moment, except that Suns wont have big name players as Sarver isnt Cuban...

then some posters here will realize that darn... what could of been.

dont get me wrong, Im happy the suns made it the WCF, after everyone in the media and other fans doubted them. Remember at the start of the season most of us just wanted o make the playoffs because we didnt have our pick.... well we transcended that and pushed the Lakers to the limit.

But now that monkey is off the back, it comes back to this.... What do the Suns do Post-Nash....?

Suns have their pick next year....Suns have expirings and have an opportunity to cash in with Stoudemire.
Nash has also stated he doesnt mind teaching the youngsters as opposed to focusing on chasing rings.... its about the journey and not the destination all the time.... championship is good and all... but it doesnt hurt having fun and doing something meaningful with the youngsters while you're trying to win 1.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
...and that is EXACTLY what everyone said last summer.

Oh ya, you're right. We'll probably go to the WCF again with the current roster situation. Or maybe we'll win it all next year after signing Amare for 100 mil. Or letting him go and picking up "fill in the blank". For God's sake, see the forest for the trees.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with Randolph is right now he's one of those guys who makes the spectacular play, the drive and dunk, the big block etc, but he doesn't make all the little plays that help you win games. He holds the ball too long, he doesn't really score in the post as well as he should because he he can't hold his position, not strong enough. His outside shot is improving but still needs work, his defense is all going for steals and blocks, gives up position way too easily.

he has a world of talent and when he's right he can look outstanding in Nellie's system, but slow the game down and he can just disappear. It's the same problem Morrow has in a halfcourt game he has a tendency to just disappear because if you guard the 3 he does little else. In fullcourt he can leak out or drift to the corners and get open 3's in transition, and he's developed a fake and drive move, but in the halfcourt he doesn't do any of that.

The Twolves really only have 2 players I'd want as a Warriors fan, Jefferson or Kevin Love. IF they can't get either of them I'd much rather seem them trade for the pick and get DeMarcus Cousins, I know he's immature and has conditioning issues but his upside is enormous.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with you on this one especially if GS would have sweetened the deal. I think there were some other players mentioned as well coming from GS with Biedrins being one of them. The way I look at it, if the Suns acquired too much talent, trade would always be an option. Sadly, I did not think the Suns were capable of climbing to the top of the mountain this past season although they came close. I'm afraid the Suns will lose Stoudemire for nothing or a lessor trade package.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh ya, you're right. We'll probably go to the WCF again with the current roster situation. Or maybe we'll win it all next year after signing Amare for 100 mil. Or letting him go and picking up "fill in the blank". For God's sake, see the forest for the trees.

Sheesh, I was just saying that you were repeating the same things that were said last summer, when nobody expected us to do anything this past year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randolph is incredibly overrated by Suns fans for some reason.

I am with you. Haven't the Suns had enough of big men who under perform in the rebounding department?

Randolph is 6'11" and only gets 6.5 rebounds per game. He scores 11.6 per game. I think we need more then that out of the Forwad/Center position.

We need a guy that can at the very least give you 15 points and 10 rebounds per game. If not, why bother?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am with you. Haven't the Suns had enough of big men who under perform in the rebounding department?

Randolph is 6'11" and only gets 6.5 rebounds per game. He scores 11.6 per game. I think we need more then that out of the Forwad/Center position.

We need a guy that can at the very least give you 15 points and 10 rebounds per game. If not, why bother?

In only 22 minutes. He came into the league a little younger than Amare did and unlike Amare, not as physically mature. Word is he put on 20 pounds of muscle this summer. *If* he could have managed starter minutes he'd probably already be averaging 9-10 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. His FT percentage is pretty good already and his assist:turnover ratio is better than Amare's career ratio.

If Randolph, unlike Amare, improves at rebounding, blocking, passing and such, he will be better than Amare, stat-wise. Sure, he may be a boneheaded 20-year-old, but Amare is a boneheaded 27-year-old and has experienced a pretty high level of success. Stats can be deceiving for non-starter that don't play a lot of minutes, but there's little reason to believe he couldn't be averaging 18 pts, 10 boards, 2 blocks with a 1:1 assist:TO ratio in three years.

I'm all about building team chemistry right now in the mold of champion Celtics, Spurs, and Pistons teams, which would preclude boneheaded players, and Randolph may not be superstar material, but he still has a bright future at this point.

EDIT: I have no idea how he would have gained 20 pounds of muscle with the season only recently ending, but if he is able to put on weight at all, he can keep improving in that area, which should help vastly in rebounding.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure, he may be a boneheaded 20-year-old, but Amare is a boneheaded 27-year-old and has experienced a pretty high level of success.

I'm all about building team chemistry right now in the mold of champion Celtics, Spurs, and Pistons teams, which would preclude boneheaded players,
I LMAO for some reason. Good stuff :biglaugh:

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He puts up his numbers in limited minutes. His numbers/40 minutes are excellent.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Randolph is similar to a Young Garnett.

6.5 rebs and 12 points and about 1 block in 22 mins with Monta Ellis and Magette jacking up shots as your team mates is pretty good.

The guy is 7'0, same coordination as Garnett also.... has put on 20 pounds... has a nice vertical... great wingspan....

give him rebounding tips and keep working with him and he'll be your 20/12 player in 3-4 seasons.... if not 2.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Randolph is similar to a Young Garnett.

6.5 rebs and 12 points and about 1 block in 22 mins with Monta Ellis and Magette jacking up shots as your team mates is pretty good.

The guy is 7'0, same coordination as Garnett also.... has put on 20 pounds... has a nice vertical... great wingspan....

give him rebounding tips and keep working with him and he'll be your 20/12 player in 3-4 seasons.... if not 2.

Agreed

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He puts up his numbers in limited minutes. His numbers/40 minutes are excellent.

True but that is not always an indication of what would happen if he played 35 minutes a game. I can't remember who did it before but someone here posted what the Suns players #'s would be off the bench if they started based on the per minutes. It was really crazy.

I have not looked up his college numbers but did he under perform in college by chance?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA