Trump to Impose Sweeping Steel and Aluminum Tariffs

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Joe L, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Yep, yesterday Tom Cotton had the nerve to tell American farmers at least they are better off than soldiers in war zones. The new Republican platform appears to be....... any standard of living higher than sleeping in a trench while you’re pelted with bullets and mustard gas is a gift bestowed upon you by the Kochs and the Mercers, and honestly you don’t even deserve that much. So be grateful you serfs and serve your masters.

Russ Smith likes this.
  2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

The markets are up today largely because they fell so hard people bought, nothing has really changed.

one of the things that I think many people just don't seem to get is Trump is using taxpayer money to buy votes now. His tariffs are killing farmers so he's giving them so much cash handouts, many of them are actually ahead of what they would be without the tariffs. So while they don't like the tariffs, hey I've got money in the bank so I'm going to vote Trump. That money isn't coming from some secret stash put aside for trade wars, it's coming directly from US Taxpayers.

So he screwed over farmers and then is screwing us over to pay them so they'll vote for him. Seriously as I said last week that's how the Philippine elections go the really bad guys just bribe all the poor people to vote for them. But at least when they do it, they're not using taxpayer money.

With his stuff about Orban from Hungary yesterday I can't believe anybody still doesn't see where he's trying to head. He's actively trying to make himself a king.

3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Musta lost his bootstraps.

4. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Faced with the consequences of his idiocy, he doubles down.

5. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Markets tomorrow should react very well to this news.

6. Kel Varnsen

The governor’s office speaks out.

7. Kel Varnsen

Looks like somebody is troubled again.

8. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

How can no one around him tell him that tariffs will punish American consumers by increasing prices for us? I know he is too stupid to understand that, but damn.... or, is he really this much of a loose cannon?

9. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I think a good portion of his base is too ignorant to understand, or they don't care/don't believe and just listens to what Trump has to say. And I think he knows that, and it's all he cares about.

10. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

I think all these tariffs are a secret tax in Americans. Because the money ends up in the general fund, they can use it for whatever.

upload_2019-5-31_2-21-33.png

11. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

“The Trump Tax on America” is what every Dem needs to get on message and discuss in every interview, every town hall and every tweet from now until 2020. The DNC needed to learn from the GOP in this regard. Talk about what the radical right is doing to America.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Russ Smith like this.
  12. Western Font

Western Font Registered

It is a consumer tax, whether intended not. It is an especially good way to bleed money from lowest tax bracket that is otherwise not available.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Russ Smith like this.
  13. Russ Smith

Grassley actually came out and said just that publicly. Of course none of them will stand up to Trump in the end, they'll just roll over again.

14. Russ Smith

I think they're so "concerned" with illegals taking their jobs while being on welfare and voting illegally that anything they say as "defending" the borders they support not understanding what Trump is actually doing.

Linderbee and UncleChris like this.
  15. Russ Smith

And as expected the markets are down about 1%.

Meanwhile President make it up as you go along just said on Twitter that 90% of the illegal drugs in this country cross the Southern Border. The actual stat is 90% of the heroin in the US comes from Mexico, not all drugs, and as the DEA has said repeatedly most heroin crosses the border at LEGAL points of entry. A wall would do no good, and it's not the fault of Mexico that agents at the US/Mexico border can't stop all the heroin coming in, the US agents are missing it too. Overall it's in the high 80's and across the board the DEA says most of it comes in at legal points of entry and gets through despite US agents trying to catch it.

And to be clear I'm not blaming the US agents, it's a difficult job to do. If you really want to stop drug trafficking you have to address the DEMAND for illegal drugs, if nobody wanted it, people wouldn't risk their life or risk jailtime to smuggle it.