Trump Tax Returns

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Dback Jon, Oct 31, 2016.

1. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

It is on NOW:

Judge rules in favor of House Democrats' efforts to obtain Trump's financial records from former accounting firm

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/judge-rul...in-trumps-211000658--abc-news-topstories.html

Rivercard and Russ Smith like this.
  2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I hope they give judge Mehta a little extra protection for the next few months.

82CardsGrad and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  3. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Angry "Obama Judge" tweet in 3...2...1...

Linderbee likes this.
  4. Russ Smith

I'm more worried about Angry Trump supporter with a few screws loose going after judge Mehta.

But yeah I'm fairly certain there's going to be some angry tweets.

5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

so, what happens here if this goes all the way up the food chain and even the Supreme Court says he must turn over the documents... and still doesn't? He can't be prosecuted in a normal court of law, so again, we're looking at the Democrats being forced into the impeachment corner know that the GOP will STILL kill in the Senate, right?

6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

by the way... if this ever does rise to the level of the Supreme Court, I think his packed court flips the middle finger to the country and lets him off the hook.

Covert Rain likes this.
  7. Russ Smith

they were discussing on CNN, both Toobin and John Dean said they'd be very surprised if the Supreme Court granted a stay. Apparently that's the next legal step, trump has 7 days to comply or get a stay. If he can't get a judge to grant a stay he could in theory immediately bump it to the Supreme Court, but neither of them believe even a Trump stacked SC would grant a stay they said there's just not any legal grounds to do so.

Toobin also said he'd be shocked if the company involved is willing to go into contempt of Congress to protect Trump, he can pardon one person or offer to pardon someone he doesn't want to cooperate, but he can't pardon an entire company, they're simply not going to believe he'll pardon them all and they won't be willing to go to jail to protect him.

I guess we'll see.

Mainstreet likes this.
  8. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Constitutional crisis.

The only remedy is impeachment.

9. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

FPS is pretty good. From the time I knew them, they were Johnny on the Spot.

10. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Agreed. I worked for a private security firm in 1976-78 in Downtown D.C., mostly at the Commerce building. We were cautioned not to screw around with the FPS troops, as they were considered an elite force. Quite frankly, we were a bit scared of them.

That was a long time ago, but I suspect there has been little, if any, change in their status as "top notch."

Note: you were talking about the Federal Protective Service, yes?

11. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm wondering if impeachment is enforceable if a president refuses to leave office or the DOJ refuses to enforce it.

12. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Federal Protective Service; yes.

Marshals are responsible for the judge’s safety. But FPS runs the facilities, and at least here, are usually the first to respond to an off-premises issue that’s in proximity to the courthouse.

A friend of mine was saved from something potentially nasty when she had to call for FPS (she was clerking for a federal judge at the time. Response time was 2-3 minutes).

13. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

It is; but who’s going to enforce it? At that point, you’re in coup territory.

Mainstreet and Russ Smith like this.
  14. Russ Smith

So getting back to playing this thing out. Supposing the tax returns reveal some of it not exactly what many of us expect to be the case. he was lying on his returns to obtain loans(a crime). He has deep ties to Russia, owes money etc so he lied about that and presumably lied on any information he was required to give when applying for clearances and asserting his financial situation. How many crimes would have to be exposed on his taxes before the GOP Senators were willing to do something about it? I am honestly not sure there is a number high enough to guarantee that. They are all in on this guy, again I still say Trump did a deal with the devil, McConnell is the devil. So I can't see McConnell ever just saying this guy has broken too many laws we can't support him and break rank and vote yes in an impeachment. So what I'm really getting at I guess is how many crimes by Trump before the GOP breaks ranks with McConnell and decides they are not willing to ruin their careers over this?

Right now they do whatever McConnell tells them to do, if they break ranks, they can do something about this but I'm not sure there's actually a point anymore that is bad enough to get them to do that.

The worst case scenario for the Dems of course is if there's nothing really bad in his taxes, he fights and fights then there's no smoking gun there and the Dems look stupid for doing it. I seriously doubt that's the case I'm pretty certain there's a reason he doesn't want his taxes exposed, but there is some risk here. As they say in court never ask a question you don't already know the answer to. But I think in this case the Dems almost have to.

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I can’t help but believe our military at the highest ranks wouldn’t support an impeached president who refuses to step down. I might be wrong. But career military men that have reached officer status are men of order and discipline. I would be shocked if they supported a big baby who shirked his military duty.

LVG and Russ Smith like this.